• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toho Makes 1st Japanese Godzilla Film in 12 Years

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:34 pm Reply with quote
ReifuTD wrote:
[
Well one issue I had with the millennium era of Godzilla is it feel like don't have much gumption to watch them. I haven't seen them all but from what I seen and been told the movies where each reboots. I don't feel compelled to watch one reboot after another.

I believe that was the problem, The Millenium Godzilla series was rebooted many times and ignore other continuities:

Godzilla 2000: Direct sequel of the 1954 original, ignore all continuities. Doesn't mention anything about Godzilla vs Destoroyah.

Godzilla vs. Megaguirus: Again a direct sequel of the 1954 film and ignore what happened in Godzilla 2000.

Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack: Again a direct sequel of the 1954 film and ignore the previous films, where Godzilla's spoiler[radioactive element has been replaced with a more mystical element. Godzilla has origins rooted in Japan's World War II past. Mothra, Baragon, and King Ghidorah are portrayed as Earth's guardian. King Ghidorah is not a space alien in this film].

Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla: Again, direct sequel of the 1954 film and it ignore past continuity or previous films. In this film, Mechagodzilla spoiler[or Kiryu is not made by the UN or alien that resemble apes like in the previous era, instead this Mechagodzilla was constructed using the skeleton of the original 1954 Godzilla that was killed by the Oxygen Destroyer in the original 1954 film, and the soul of the 1954 Godzilla is still in the mecha-fied unit.]

Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S.: Well this is the only film in the Millennium series which is a direct sequel to a previous film, Godzilla against Mechagodzilla.

Godzilla: Final Wars: Again, direct sequel to the 1954 films and ignore all previous films. Make no mentions of Mechagodzilla, or Megaguirus.

you also wrote:
The 80s and 90s Godzilla movies were very continuity heavy and had some the weirdest and beast movies of the series.

This I will agreed with you. I think anything before Godzilla 2000 were better in term of storyline and continuities.

Last edited by mdo7 on Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:47 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S.: Well this is the only film in the Millennium series which is a direct sequel to a previous film, Godzilla against Mechagodzilla.

Not to mention bringing back Mothra's Prof. Chuujo (Hiroshi Koizumi) in character, 42 years later.
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:50 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

Not to mention bringing back Mothra's Prof. Chuujo (Hiroshi Koizumi) in character, 42 years later.

hm, didn't know that probably because I didn't watch it, and I don't know how to explain that one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Well, you knew this was coming. Thing is time has gone fast as I didn't even realize that it's been that long already. Well, time to rewind and go back to the beginning where Godzilla appears after the infamous bomb of 1954. Or they'll go with a new angle. But will we see a suped up King Ghidorah. Maybe the new Godzilla film is making Toho decided to come out of their short retirement.
ReifuTD

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:13 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:

you also wrote:
The 80s and 90s Godzilla movies were very continuity heavy and had some the weirdest and beast movies of the series.

This I will agreed with you. I think anything before Godzilla 2000 were better in term of storyline and continuities.

I think one thing that helped was they kept one human character content through five movies, I felt sad that Miki spoiler[loses her powers in Godzilla vs Destoroyah.] She had different levels of impotence in each movie but she was there.

I think that's why the twins are the best thing about Mothra, they are to human or humanoid characters who are a constant stable of the series.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:03 pm Reply with quote
ReifuTD wrote:

I think one thing that helped was they kept one human character content through five movies, I felt sad that Miki spoiler[loses her powers in Godzilla vs Destoroyah.] She had different levels of impotence in each movie but she was there.

I think that's why the twins are the best thing about Mothra, they are to human or humanoid characters who are a constant stable of the series.

I have no objection with what you said. That's why Mothra had her own films, Rebirth of Mothra series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3