• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Digimon Anime's Staff, Key Visual, Title Unveiled

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WeirDiE_InC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:08 am Reply with quote
the-antihero wrote:
The show itself is bloody horrendous, more obviously in the looks department. Even the good looking toys were made hideous with the Teen Titan art style. Even if the story is as good as its fanboys claim it to be, the look of the show completely negates whatever positives (if any) there are.

Now you're being ironic.
Then again, design is subjective and I find nothing wrong with the aesthetic of Derick Wyatt, nor Digimon Adventure tri.

But that just means I'm expecting extravagant animation from this show, and not cheap and adequate like people have accused Sailor Moon Crystal of being.
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:35 am Reply with quote
Wow, these new designs for the original eight Digidestined will take some getting used to and why do Sora and Hikari have the same face?

Also, I really hope that this series doesn't ignore Daisuke, Miyako, Iori, and Ken because if this new season retcons the second season out of existence, then that may pose some problems and plus, I really hope that the new upcoming season will deal with the Dark Ocean subplot that the previous season abruptly dropped because that needs real closure!
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:34 pm Reply with quote
I don't know why people assume 02 is begin retconned. What basis is this founded on? The fact they don't like it? Given it's called Tri, which implied third, and Takeru and Hikari are wearing the middle-school uniforms we saw in 02, it's safe to assume it's not being retconned.

I'm more curious if we can ever have a Digimon thread without pointless whining about shipping couples not being canon. People care way too much about the romantic aspect of children's cartoons where the romance aspect is barely, if ever, touched upon.

As for the designs itself, they seem fine to me, though I'm a bit disappointed they didn't Suzuhito Yasuda to do the designs like the past few Digimon games. I was never a big fan of the original art.. they had huge hands and feet, and Digimon's always been one about different art styles like the movies being done in a different style.
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Fedora-san wrote:
I don't know why people assume 02 is begin retconned. What basis is this founded on? The fact they don't like it? Given it's called Tri, which implied third, and Takeru and Hikari are wearing the middle-school uniforms we saw in 02, it's safe to assume it's not being retconned.

I'm more curious if we can ever have a Digimon thread without pointless whining about shipping couples not being canon. People care way too much about the romantic aspect of children's cartoons where the romance aspect is barely, if ever, touched upon.

As for the designs itself, they seem fine to me, though I'm a bit disappointed they didn't Suzuhito Yasuda to do the designs like the past few Digimon games. I was never a big fan of the original art.. they had huge hands and feet, and Digimon's always been one about different art styles like the movies being done in a different style.

The fact that we have no official promotional images with Daisuke, Miyako, Iori, and Ken joining the original eight Digidestined so far does raise some concerns because fans of the season would feel alienated about it.

Yeah, it's amazing how fans are really obsessed over the pairings for this series and I would say it kind of rivals how huge the shipping wars the Avatar fanbase goes through.

Well, it's probably for nostalgia reasons but regardless, I hope it isn't as huge of a disappointment that Sailor Moon Crystal has become.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:20 pm Reply with quote
ReifuTD wrote:
I like the mature feel I'm getting from this, I get the feeling this is going to be something as deep as Taimers.

Yeah, it actually feels like it fits really well if they really do make it a bit more mature, as expected, to match that the characters are older now too.

Ashen Phoenix wrote:
Kadmos1 wrote:
As long as we get a revamped finale where Taiora happens when after Adventure II, I'm rather indifferent on how this series ends.

That's a good point. I'd love that.

I hadn't thought of that but many people have pointed out that this art style is closer to the movies. That makes me like it a lot more.

Agreed, it really does seem like it is closer to that.

Kadmos1 wrote:
As long as we get a revamped finale where Taiora happens when after Adventure II, I'm rather indifferent on how this series ends.

Would love that.
Juno016

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:50 pm Reply with quote
the-antihero wrote:
Who cares about the toys? Of course there will be good toys and bad. The show itself is bloody horrendous, more obviously in the looks department. Even the good looking toys were made hideous with the Teen Titan art style. Even if the story is as good as its fanboys claim it to be, the look of the show completely negates whatever positives (if any) there are.

The first season had its visual problems (some of them quite hilarious), but so did Pokemon back then. And Pokemon certainly wasn't the epitome of great storytelling and well-developed characters that I would place Digimon in. But if we're going based on looks, I would most certainly excuse half of Digimon's looks for what it makes up in its films and episode 21 of the original season, which Pokemon could never even hope to live up to if it tried (and it's certainly trying hard, since Pokemon XY has some superb animation, being my favorite season of the show thus far, with hopes that it will live up to its own build-up and hype).

I mean, I'm no purist and I appreciate that you're open to trying out the upcoming season, but if this ends up being a show that caters heavily to an audience who knows and understands the characters from the first season (there is a lot of depth written into these characters, so it's not strange to think that a lot of context will be very helpful in following the new show), then that may affect your enjoyment of the show. If you do enjoy it regardless, then cool. But there's still plenty of time to at least try the original series out first and, if you can finally get past the art style, I think you may actually enjoy it. I promise there's a lot more to the show than peoples' awkward nostalgia glasses seem to suggest (and now is a great opportunity to watch it in Japanese, without the abundance of jokes added in the English version that change character personalities drastically, since it's finally available with subs on Netflix--if you don't mind watching with subs, of course).

But that's up to you. At the very least, if the upcoming season is enjoyable to you, I would definitely recommend going back to watch the first season. I guess we'll have to see...
antasad

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:21 am Reply with quote
For those who keeps worrying about the new artstyle having indifferent faces, try reworking your memory.

[/img]
Mr. slicer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Lycosyncer wrote:
Fedora-san wrote:

The fact that we have no official promotional images with Daisuke, Miyako, Iori, and Ken joining the original eight Digidestined so far does raise some concerns because fans of the season would feel alienated about it.

Yeah, it's amazing how fans are really obsessed over the pairings for this series and I would say it kind of rivals how huge the shipping wars the Avatar fanbase goes through.

Well, it's probably for nostalgia reasons but regardless, I hope it isn't as huge of a disappointment that Sailor Moon Crystal has become.

Perhaps, but why use a name like Tri if they are going to pretend that two never existed? At the very least the title means that the existence of 02 is being acknowledged at some level. Seriously, if they wanted to they could easily have used something with no connection to 3 or even something like deux or dos (2) to end any debate regarding the fate of 02.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6