• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The ANNCast Holiday Special 2014

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:18 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed this podcast quite a bit, the fact that Zac and Justin have such divergent tastes makes for much better conversation than if it were otherwise. Hearing you guys navigate each others' contending opinions is pretty enjoyable. I disagree pretty strongly with both assessments of ZnT, but I've already outlined that somewhere else and will leave it at that.

I did watch the Babadook after listening to this podcast though, and the film was fantastic. It felt more like a character drama than a horror film in places, prefaced with Zac's explication of the metaphor. spoiler[I'm wondering how the ending of the film congeals with the metaphor for the monster as rage? The rage has been separated from the protagonist in some way, and now she "tends" to it somehow on a daily basis to keep it in check, but I'm not sure what psychological process that is supposed to be a metaphor for. Also the use of the dead husband as an avatar for the monster which I guess supposed to point out the source of her rage as resentment at her husband's death; ]there's a lot going on psychologically and consequently metaphorically in that film, and its ability to weave psychological processes into supernatural metaphors is pretty amazing. Regardless it was a quality namedrop.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:18 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Regarding Zac and Justin's commentary about Terror in Resonance, I couldn't help but think back to this early conversation we had about the show in one of the "anticipation" threads before it was released.

May 31, 2014 Pre-release discussion

Not surprisingly, I certainly agree that the terrorism imagery was used primarily for sensationalism and not to actually tell a deep story. The fact that the boys commit numerous terrorist acts and never kill anyone (thus allowing them to remain as heroes) made the show's treatment of the subject matter seem extremely cheap and otaku-pandering.

I forgot about that thread. I wasn't very eloquent there, but I was basically trying to say that naming characters 9 and 12 as part of an allusion to 9/11 was lazy and I was worried that that was indicative of the story as a whole. I guess I was right, seeing as I dropped it around episode 3 or 4, and Justin and Zac pretty much thought it was garbage.
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Zac-
I forgot you guys did that last year with Watamote. That makes sense.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:24 pm Reply with quote
鏡 wrote:

I did watch the Babadook after listening to this podcast though, and the film was fantastic. It felt more like a character drama than a horror film in places, prefaced with Zac's explication of the metaphor. spoiler[I'm wondering how the ending of the film congeals with the metaphor for the monster as rage? The rage has been separated from the protagonist in some way, and now she "tends" to it somehow on a daily basis to keep it in check, but I'm not sure what psychological process that is supposed to be a metaphor for. Also the use of the dead husband as an avatar for the monster which I guess supposed to point out the source of her rage as resentment at her husband's death; ]there's a lot going on psychologically and consequently metaphorically in that film, and its ability to weave psychological processes into supernatural metaphors is pretty amazing. Regardless it was a quality namedrop.

That was one of my favorite things about it, how it ended. spoiler[It acknowledged the rather bleak truth that dark feelings like that never truly leave you, they're part of you, part of who you are. Once you've let it out, you have to live with it and tend to it and keep it under control, but it never just disappears. It's a bittersweet ending - she's dealing with her pain and anger, but it will always be there, under the surface.]

I'm glad you liked it man! Happy holidays.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Unrelated follow-ups:

• Had Justin mentioned No (the movie about the selling of the Pinochet referendum) on the podcast before? I swear I've heard him talking about it here.
  • Zac says Prince of Egypt was concurrent with the end of the Disney Renaissance. There's a general period where the decline is obvious, but is there a specific film that you mark as the last good one (or the first not-very-good one)?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:33 pm Reply with quote
I think you'd find most fans saying Pocahontas was the first misstep, along with Hercules, but Hunchback and Mulan fared better as far as hindsight is concerned. Though the general idea seems to be Tarzan is the definitive last Renaissance film, for good or bad. What came after either bombed, was complete shit, or just never connected the same way as the films that came out in the previous decade, with only Lilo & Stitch and Emperor's New Groove really having any kind of lasting audience.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:38 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I think you'd find most fans saying Pocahontas was the first misstep, along with Hercules, but Hunchback and Mulan fared better as far as hindsight is concerned. Though the general idea seems to be Tarzan is the definitive last Renaissance film, for good or bad. What came after either bombed, was complete shit, or just never connected the same way as the films that came out in the previous decade, with only Lilo & Stitch and Emperor's New Groove really having any kind of lasting audience.

It's interesting that Lilo and Stitch is outside of the "Renaissance." It's one of the most successful Disney franchises as far as popularity and sequels. I guess maybe it's a lot more popular with the kiddies than the critics?
Arkthelad

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:35 pm Reply with quote
I watched "Frances Ha" after listening to this. Really charming film. I'm going to go watch all the rest of Noah whatevers films now. Thanks for the recommendation.
mbanu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:05 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed Terror in Resonance. I know that people complain that it had non-violent terrorists, which made it stupid, but to me, the main characters weren't supposed to be terrorists -- it was just politically necessary for them to be terrorists. That's what the whole Five arc was about -- she was supposed to make sure that they screwed up in some way that would place control of the narrative about who they were and what they were about back into the hands of the Japanese government (and by proxy, back in the hands of the U.S. government). It's sort of like how if you want to portray a protest as a riot, the best and easiest way is to have it become a violent protest. If you want to portray a protester as a thug, the best and easiest way is to have them become a violent protester. This makes it easier to control the narrative because people who might have agreed with the protesters' views will start to fear them more than they agree with them.

There were a few small moments that I liked. I felt like the spoiler[bomb disarming in the Ferris wheel] segment did a great job capturing that moment when you've fucked up really badly and someone else is screwing themselves over to keep you from experiencing the consequences of your own stupid actions. You feel helpless and ashamed, the other person is trying to keep it together, and it's not quite clear if it's for your sake or to help not think about the consequences they're bringing on themselves.

It was also nice to see them mention Tor -- the anime internet ecosphere seems to mostly consist of Gaagle, NicoNico, 2chan, and MMORPGs, so it's nice to get some variety, even if the whole spoiler[website with the deactivation codes] bit seemed like something you'd have seen in a movie about hackers from the 90s (maybe with a hint of Jurassic Park? Anime smile)

It was also nice that they tried to approach the stress involved in spoiler[living with a parent who has a poorly managed mental illness (Lisa's mom)]. Not a very subtle portrayal, but I haven't seen too many anime that touch on that.

It had a lot of faults, (spoiler[I agree that the EMP aftermath was not portrayed well]) but I'd watch it again.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2