• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Official Japanese RWBY Fanbook Includes Art From Yoshitoshi Abe, Range Murata, Others

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:10 pm Reply with quote
CoreSignal wrote:
Interesting, I knew RWBY had some fans in Japan, but I didn't know that the Japanese fanbase was big enough to justify putting together an art book.

I believe it's more likely the opposite of being true. A marketing push by Warner Brother's to promote RWBY in Japan. Other western companies have done similar things in the past, though I only know video game examples and no animation examples, like Mass Effect.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:27 pm Reply with quote
yeah, the success of the show will be seen if it can or cannot move merchandise. Can the show move discs? It's a web based show with few if any of the Sakuga (key frame animation) moments from drawn, 2D animation. So why should a fan dump a lot of money on physical discs of a web show? Like I said, certainly not for the prized Sakuga. The CG is stiff and lumpy outside fight sequences, offering this show on BD does little, and will sell like an XBox One.

So what else can they sell? I've seen the figures. Compare a figure you can walk down the street and buy (at least order domestically online) or import one of the low quality figures we were presented with? Those won't sell much there.

That brings us to the art book. If the discs can't sell and the figures won't sell, maybe an art book would sell.

I watched both seasons and the show has been inching up towards getting better. I mean, at least they got episode lengths to stay the same. But then they added in "World of Remnant" 2 minute informational minisodes of breathtakingly minimal quality. NND spits out higher quality vocaloid hand-drawn animation like that all the time as if it were nothing.

Trying to break into Japan with this franchise is a supremely uphill battle. Maybe let them wrap up this franchise/setting and attempt it with a better project.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Huh. Didn't really think RWBY would do well in Japan, especially considering that they already have a strong MMD community on nico, which is where I've seen a lot of RWBY vids uploaded.

Eh, I have mixed feelings about RWBY. I like the choreography to the fights, and they often feel nice and weighty, and the animation is usually pretty good (but boy are they bad at hiding their not-so-good parts), but I feel like the attempts to replicate anime motions (like jump cuts while one person searches a room while the other person stays in the same pose) in 3D kind of...don't work. At all.

For the most part, I like the voice acting, espeically Ruby's and Weiss', but man, Pyrrha's and Yang's grate on me like no tomorrow; Pyrrha is too monotone, and the Yang feels sooooo strained and nasally, which is weird, because I thought Yang's VA had the most experience.

The story is...a tad tired in how closely it clings to typical high-school drama tropes, but I feel like occasionally the dialogue is enough to overcome it. But, yeesh, that dialogue! It's especially hard to get through during introspective speeches or monologues; the dialogue is so...flowery and unnatural--like they're trying so hard to be dramatic that it ends up almost comedic. Where's all the punch and oomph and pizazz of the Red vs. Blue dialogue?
Chipp12

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:07 am Reply with quote
Wailing Nightmare is at least 10 times better than this... show even though it's made using MMD but sadly it's not popular outside of Japan.
grooven

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:13 am Reply with quote
All of my nope.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:15 am Reply with quote
A lot of people are 2D-or-nothing, so that'd be hard to crack.
But a lot of people didn't think Anna and the Snow Queen would be such a phenomenon there, so who knows what would happen.

For comparison, another art book, Katawa Shoujo illustration book was at Comiket last year:

• Hi from the Japanese translation team!

It's been some days after the summer Comiket. A warm thank you to everyone who came to our table, despite the extreme heat on that day. Both the new and the previous books sold well, thanks to the support from all of you. The stock of Tomorrow/Today books that we brought for the day even got sold out.

As for the surprise which we did not disclose until the day of the event, we had Raide, one of the 4LS devs and Lilly's artist, came and sit with us. He is on a trip to Japan and managed to drop by on the Comiket. This is the first occasion where a KS dev has personally sat at our booth. If in case you came by, you might have noticed him wearing a Kumamon cap in the back.

When we blundered and forgot to bring all the poster arts, Raide immediately saved the day by sketching up a number of drawings of KS heroines. Also for the first time we were able to respond to sketchbook requests. 5 out of 6 requests were of Hanako, showing her dominating popularity yet again.
configspace

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:53 am Reply with quote
H. Guderian wrote:
So what else can they sell? I've seen the figures. Compare a figure you can walk down the street and buy (at least order domestically online) or import one of the low quality figures we were presented with? Those won't sell much there.

There are now two types of figures. The current original ones by McFarlane Toys ($34.95): http://store.roosterteeth.com/products/rwby-ruby-action-figure

And the upcoming one by ThreeZero ($168):
https://store.roosterteeth.com/products/rwby-ruby-figure-by-threezero-presale-reservation

Threezero's Japanese blog on the Ruby Rose figure:
http://www.threezeroblogjp.com/blog/rwby03
pcj

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:17 am Reply with quote
I'm not in the least bit surprised that there's interest in this in Japan. It's not just a marketing push, it only happened because Japanese people were begging them for it.

There's an insane amount of RWBY fanart regularly from Japanese artists on Pixiv, and there's also a REALLY GOOD fanDUB of RWBY in Japanese with much better voice acting than the English professional version.
pcj

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:18 am Reply with quote
(deleted)

Last edited by pcj on Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:09 am; edited 1 time in total
pcj

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:20 am Reply with quote
(deleted)

Last edited by pcj on Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:09 am; edited 1 time in total
pcj

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:26 am Reply with quote
apologies for the spam, Cloudflare told me my post didn't go through, so I kept trying, and eventually it did and my post was here 5 times. ANN will apparently only let me delete the last one, so the other three dupes just had their content edited out. Maybe a kind mod will come along and nuke them for me.

Last edited by pcj on Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:13 am; edited 2 times in total
jkphantom

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:33 am Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
So many amazingly talented artists...

wasted on such a terrible show. Confused

F*** you man... Mad
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:19 am Reply with quote
pcj wrote:
I'm not in the least bit surprised that there's interest in this in Japan. It's not just a marketing push, it only happened because Japanese people were begging them for it.

There's an insane amount of RWBY fanart regularly from Japanese artists on Pixiv.

Interesting, do you have a source? Where were fans begging them for it? I find Pixiv's not a good judge of anything, a lot of non Japanese artists use that site these days, and the existence of fanart in general doesn't indicate popularity as an admission, especially since a lot of Japanese artists don't use it. Pixiv is more anecdotal evidence. We won't really know until we have disk numbers or some kind of hard evidence.
Guile

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:24 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
And the upcoming one by ThreeZero ($168):
https://store.roosterteeth.com/​products/​rwby-​ruby-​figure-​by-​threezero-​presale-​reservation

Why on Earth is this 168 dollars? That seems way over priced considering it's size and quality. It looks no better than a Figuarts and those run around 2500-4000 yen. I wonder how many people would feasibly buy this at this price.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:39 am Reply with quote
sharl wrote:
come on guys its pretty good for a web series made from a semi small company. i liked it atleast and im hoping a company in japan will try to make a spinoff of some kind

First the excuse was them being amateurs, and that was contested because those guys cannot be called amateurs whatsoever in any sense. Further, it's still BS because small groups of dedicated people can make some amazing stuff. But like another poster said, none of that would matter to dialogue and writing, which I found unbearable. Combined with uninspired visuals, it's just hard to gain any enjoyment from it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3