• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Tokyo Metropolitan Area to Establish "English Village"

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brent Allison

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:40 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Oh and one more thing, he gave up his US citizenship to become a Japanese citizen so he can stay and combat and bring awareness of discrimination in Japan.

Actually, according to Arudou's LinkedIn profile, he is currently based in Honolulu.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Brent Allison wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
Oh and one more thing, he gave up his US citizenship to become a Japanese citizen so he can stay and combat and bring awareness of discrimination in Japan.

Actually, according to Arudou's LinkedIn profile, he is currently based in Honolulu.

Yes, but he still active in Japan. As I said, he gave up his US citizenship. Also not long ago, Debito also got his PhD from from Meiji Gakuin University.

But this is getting off topic.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:02 am Reply with quote
All that foreigner discrimination is probably due to yakuza involvement anyway. Same reason it's either impossible or highly unlikely to get into a soapland or pink salon as a foreigner, they'd be owned by extremely right wing reactionary gangsters.
Brent Allison

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:25 am Reply with quote
I heard about soapland discrimination, so a few years back I emailed one in as good of Japanese I could write inquiring if I could get in as a foreigner. The only response I got was in English, "JAPANESE ONLY" with the line below it, "I'm sorry". Only time I ever faced direct discrimination from a Japanese person, and that was over the Internet while I was sitting in the states. Not that I actually wanted to walk into a joint filled with VD and desperation, so just as well. Gave my spouse a laugh when I showed it to her, anyway.
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:28 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
All that foreigner discrimination is probably due to yakuza involvement anyway. Same reason it's either impossible or highly unlikely to get into a soapland or pink salon as a foreigner, they'd be owned by extremely right wing reactionary gangsters.

Yeah I've heard of allegation like this from various articles (which might include from Debito), but I don't have time to search for the articles since it's late and I'm tired.

EDIT: But one more thing, why would a Japanese university refused a foreign student to get a dorm like the Japan Times article describe, and also a foreign mangaska that said at a Comic-con interview said he never got accepted in Japan despite his talent. I don't think these are Yakuza ties that are behind the discrimination. But these rampart discrimination in Japan has been going on for a long time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:21 am Reply with quote
I've been to Japan often and to say there's racism is like saying there's racism in America. yes, it's here (there) and anyone who says otherwise is laughably blind, but to say that its a MASSIVE issue of denying people entry to all manner of businesses is also ridiculous hyperbole. In fact, if you go to most restaurants in the major cities (Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, etc) and ask for an English menu, there's a decent chance they'll have one. (almost assured if it is a chain)

I actually think the chances of this working are decent if you look at the underlying context of the articles mdo7 linked. Many companies want Japanese nationals with "English/foreign SKILLS" but they DON'T want people with foreign MINDSETS. For that reason, I can totally see schools encouraging students to spend time in an area where they can get immersive language experience without going away from more "accepted" standards of behavior and ways of life. The trick will be populating it with English speakers, but considering how kids always seems to have great dreams about the JET program, I think that wouldn't be an issue initially. And having an "English zone" might even help some JET (or similar) participants have less "culture shock" as well.
nemuyoake

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:49 am Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
Many companies want Japanese nationals with "English/foreign SKILLS" but they DON'T want people with foreign MINDSETS. For that reason, I can totally see schools encouraging students to spend time in an area where they can get immersive language experience without going away from more "accepted" standards of behavior and ways of life. The trick will be populating it with English speakers, but considering how kids always seems to have great dreams about the JET program, I think that wouldn't be an issue initially. And having an "English zone" might even help some JET (or similar) participants have less "culture shock" as well.

That! "A global mind but a Japanese identity". I went to a conference like that 3 years ago (made by people from the BoE).
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:32 am Reply with quote
Having lived in Japan for ~8 years, yes there is discrimination. I wouldn't call it "racism" as it's born more out of ignorance and distrust than hatred.

It's also quite mild in terms of its actual effects on everyday life. Probably the most annoying thing is real estate related, where you can be rejected from your rental agreement for no good reason is the owner or landlord doesn't trust you (this actually happened to me for my first apartment).

As for the topic, the reason an "English Village" won't work is fundamentally the same reason why Japan has never taken foreign culture assimilation seriously: They just don't have enough immigrants!
Nothing will change until the immigration system is loosened up and the number of legal immigrants from around the world is increased... Japan's foreign born population is a pitiful 2.2 million or so and when you take out the ones from other asia countries you're left with maybe 300K english speaking foreigners (0.3%?). Japan should be letting in _millions_ of foreigners into the country instead of the tens of thousands a year or so they do now.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:28 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
Having lived in Japan for ~8 years, yes there is discrimination. I wouldn't call it "racism" as it's born more out of ignorance and distrust than hatred.

Racism isn't necessarily born out of hatred. Japanese society is very homogeneous and they distrust foreigners and those that are of different etnicity. That is one of the origins of Japanese racism. And let's be clear, the Japanese have had racist and genocide policies even in their own country look at the natives of Hokkaido for instance.

Quote:

It's also quite mild in terms of its actual effects on everyday life. Probably the most annoying thing is real estate related, where you can be rejected from your rental agreement for no good reason is the owner or landlord doesn't trust you (this actually happened to me for my first apartment).

Racism is a real as it gets in Japan if you're a gaijin. It doesn't matter if you speak fluently japanese, the fact that you're a foreigner marks you as different. And hence someone to be distrusted.

Quote:

As for the topic, the reason an "English Village" won't work is fundamentally the same reason why Japan has never taken foreign culture assimilation seriously: They just don't have enough immigrants!

They have no immigration policy because they're a racist society. They don't accept multiculturalism. It's the Sicilian attitude taken to the extreme. Insularity and conformity certainly doesn't help the situation.

Quote:

Nothing will change until the immigration system is loosened up and the number of legal immigrants from around the world is increased... Japan's foreign born population is a pitiful 2.2 million or so and when you take out the ones from other asia countries you're left with maybe 300K english speaking foreigners (0.3%?). Japan should be letting in _millions_ of foreigners into the country instead of the tens of thousands a year or so they do now.

For immigration policy to change, the attitude of the Japanese has to change. And we know how well that goes in real life no ?

Last edited by Cptn_Taylor on Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:30 am; edited 2 times in total
Wrangler

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:28 am Reply with quote
I think the discrimination is cultural problem. I've been their couple times in my life, they very introverted culturally. They like taking tidbits of stuff from other cultures like US and France, but they don't want them changing core of what it means to be Japanese.

Their polite but they don't want anyone coming in to stay. English Village thing is their effort to appease Olympics since the committee does push for change. I'm not saying everyone in Japan discriminates but its built in thing. They've been doing it since Admiral Perry arrived in his Black Ships and forced Japan open up the country after centuries of isolation.
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:19 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:

Wrangler wrote:
I think the discrimination is cultural problem. I've been their couple times in my life, they very introverted culturally. They like taking tidbits of stuff from other cultures like US and France, but they don't want them changing core of what it means to be Japanese.

Their polite but they don't want anyone coming in to stay. English Village thing is their effort to appease Olympics since the committee does push for change. I'm not saying everyone in Japan discriminates but its built in thing. They've been doing it since Admiral Perry arrived in his Black Ships and forced Japan open up the country after centuries of isolation.

I do agree with both of you and it adds why this "English Village" is not going to be successful from my POV. I wouldn't be surprised if after they opened this up, and 2 or 3 years later it becomes a ghost town.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Or the project is canceled before it even finishes, either because they lose their drive, they run out of money, there's a public outcry over this, English-speaking Japanese residents don't move in, or the IOC deems it stupid.
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:13 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Or the project is canceled before it even finishes, either because they lose their drive, they run out of money, there's a public outcry over this, English-speaking Japanese residents don't move in, or the IOC deems it stupid.

Well it could go either way. But this village has a low chance of being successful.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5