• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Winter 2015 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Watched Yatterman Night (not seen the original series but I know the basis) and... I thought it was just okay. The idea of subverting heroes and villains is nothing special or new, and if (part of the) theme is "don't judge people based on their ancestors", well, that should be a basis moral code since you are born. The drama played too traditional spoiler[(with the espontaneal *cough* disease right at time)] and the girl's voice sometimes was a little too loud to be comfortable. Eh. Don't see many potential about this (well, I'll have to have the intro in mind), although who knows in time, I'll wait to see more opinions about it before seeing more.
RHorsman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Glad Yatterman Night is sounding good. BTW, it's listed as Yatterman Exodus on the main preview guide page at the moment.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Rensie wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:
(snip) his criteria for a "non-biased" reviewer. But it became obvious in his last post (above) that "fair and unbiased" really just translates as "stuff I like, and not stuff I don't".

Dislike BL shows as a whole, completely avoid the vision to begin it, is not my cup of tea.
Also i don't make reviews, i just drop what i dislike, i'm not force myself to make a wall of text just to humiliating the author, you know, everyone has the freedom to make whatever they want when we talking about entertainment.

So you want ANN to add a couple of reviewers to give glowing reviews to only ecchi fanservice shows. The reviews will get great grades every time, and for what? Everyone will already know what the reviews are going to say ahead of time, so who will bother reading them? You might as well just copy/paste the press releases.

As others have said, I wouldn't visit a site like that. Too boring.

A large part of reading reviews on a site like ANN is the unpredictable nature of the reviews. I read them not only for information, but also for entertainment.

What you are asking for will drain all the entertainment factor out of the reviews. I would immediately skip every review written by these proposed reviewers of yours, since I would know ahead of time what the content would be. Not only that, but I would just dismiss the subject of the review as a show I would ever buy.
Suzy J Webber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:21 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
So you want ANN to add a couple of reviewers to give glowing reviews to only ecchi fanservice shows. The reviews will get great grades every time, and for what? Everyone will already know what the reviews are going to say ahead of time, so who will bother reading them? You might as well just copy/paste the press releases.

But that's how it is right now.. at this point everyone already knows what certain reviewers will say if they've been paying any attention at all to the people behind them for a few months... I don't need to read Hope's review on
Testament of Sister New Devil because I can probably guess what it is based on her past opinions of similar series. I don't think you're looking for unpredictability so much as you just want to watch people tear apart shows you don't like, because a lot of the reviews are extremely predictable as it is right now, just negatively rather than positively.

Note I'm not saying I agree or disagree with Hope or anyone. I'm saying people generally like reviewers because they like and trust their opinion and that generally means they're consistent and predictable in their tastes

Last edited by Suzy J Webber on Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Seven ridiculous things about Yatterman Night:

1) the fact that successors of old characters were made live in the wild and banned for like centuries. In more believable scenarios, they would be just killed off or re-integrated long time ago;
2) pulling little girl by her legs;
3) lifting giant underwater wall against a tiny boat;
4) shooting at the boat even after it has turned back as required;
5) many of the lines the little girl says are nothing like a little girl could say;
6) zoo-names of characters;
7) girl "smoking" the pipe after she has inserted it into guy's ass.

The post-heroic/idol questioning idea that was fairly praised by previewers was quick to go in just one episode, and, sadly, it is/was possibly the only strong feature of the project.

Otherwise it can be seen that it will just devolve into Yatterman 2008 which has only earned "Decent" rating (which translates to "so-so/rather poor" in real-life rating). Goofy, old-times inspired show, just like, say, Dororon Enma-kun which was also revived few years ago only to become "Decent".

But this show still has chance to surprise me. If by the end of the season it will earn at least "Very good" rating, I will get back to it.

Last edited by MaxSouth on Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:38 pm; edited 3 times in total
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:31 pm Reply with quote
@ Suzy Webber

I don't think that is true at all. I've been surprised by the reviewers scores this season more than not. Right off hand, I was surprised by the scores for YuriBearStorm, Earth Defense Force and SaeKano.

I think that reviewers have actually been generous this season.

edited to add: I actually don't agree with any of the reviewers here on a consistent basis. My tastes run in different directions. My tastes would be closest to Rebecca's, if anyone, but even then, we only agree about 70% of the time. Everyone else probably gets about a 50% at best.

Sometimes a reviewer might hate something I like. That, to me, is informative. I don't need a reviewer to agree with my tastes to get an idea of how I will react to a show.

Last edited by tuxedocat on Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Tuxedocat:

The reviewers are partly different than in the past, so it may affect average scores, too. Nicholas is not "evil" enough, he can not replace, say, Carlo (and, obviously, he should not; Nicholas is his own person).
Kyon27

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:31 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:

Sometimes a reviewer might hate something I like. That, to me, is informative. I don't need a reviewer to agree with my tastes to get an idea of how I will react to a show.

This hits the nail square on the head. Regardless of how a reviewer rates a show, it's there to inform you. If they don't like the show, it's not an insult to you or the show.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:34 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
1) the fact that successors of old characters were made live in the wild and banned for like centuries. In more believable scenarios, they would be just killed off or re-integrated long time ago;

No one said "centuries", 50 years is about right, which is about the time the berlin wall isolated people who were not guilty of anything.

Quote:
2) pulling little girl by her legs;

Little rascal is stronger than she looks (my niece is an example) Anime hyper

Quote:
3) lifting giant underwater wall against a tiny boat;
4) shooting at the boat even after it has turned back as required;

A simple example of abuse of authority; build such a wall (say, near cuba or north africa) and sooner or later this will happen.

Quote:
5) many of the lines the little girl says are nothing like a little girl could say;

People living in isolation from the rest of the world think and talk differently.

Quote:
6) zoo-names of characters;

This for japanese is not as odd as it sounds, names like midori (green) or sakura (cherry blossom) are common.

Quote:
7) girl "smoking" the pipe after she has inserted it into guy's ass.

You do realize years went by and that in a poor village nothing is wasted, you just clean it.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Holy lord, I just sat through the first episode of World Break. None of the bad reviews are enough to describe how bad it is. And when Random Curiosity gives it such a scathing review, you know you've got a bad series. There's no way I can watch another episode ever again!

Damn it. And Yu Kobayashi is in there somewhere. I was so looking forward to her.

Watching Gourmet Graffiti now. Not much better.

Last edited by prime_pm on Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Via_01

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:51 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
Otherwise it can be seen that it will just devolve into Yatterman 2008 which has only earned "Decent" rating (which translates to "so-so/rather poor" in real-life rating). Goofy, old-times inspired show, just like, say, Dororon Enma-kun which was also revived few years ago only to become "Decent"

I don't see how it could devolve into Yatterman considering that the show clearly wants to be a darker take on Yatterman's future.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:09 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if anyone will be reviewing the new Dogs Days series from looking at fansub streaming sites that are ripping from Crunchyroll or if a viewer in Asian will review it.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
I wonder if anyone will be reviewing the new Dogs Days series from looking at fansub streaming sites that are ripping from Crunchyroll or if a viewer in Asian will review it.

it's not available though any legal means in North America, was not on the daily streaming reviews poll, and was not assigned to any reviewer at the conclusion of the poll. so the answer is no
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:35 pm Reply with quote
I agree with the gripes some people have with the reviews. Not that they have their own tastes, which is understandable, but it often devolves into a long winded rant rather than properly discussing what the show does. This is why I sometimes wish there is a dedicated ecchi/harem reviewer who won't go into a long diatribe about the genre and instead, just educates on what the show accomplishes/doesn't accomplish. It's not a matter of 'hiring fanboys' or anything like that.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:05 pm Reply with quote
"The heroes are villains and the villains heroes!" sounds like a pretty banal turn to take.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 35 of 38