• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pony Canyon Will Release Yuki Yuna is a Hero, Denki-Gai no Honya-san in North America

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kotomikun

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:54 am Reply with quote
strawberry-kun wrote:
Apparently you're only a hardcore fan if you love paying over $200 for one cour of anime. Any less? Get out filthy casual.

If you're referring to me, I'm more implying the opposite: that of the people who end up buying something that expensive, almost all will turn out to be super-fans, because casual fans wouldn't pay that much. So, if purchased then super-fan, not the other way around.

I... certainly hope there aren't too many people who think you must pay buckets of money to be considered a true fan, but they probably exist.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:52 am Reply with quote
Yuki Yuna's sets will include an English Dub. Rightstuf confirmed it on their Facebook page.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Isn't that a surprise?! Surprised I totally didn't expect Pony Canyon of the U.S. to announce an English version for either one of their anime shows so soon. Now that Yūna Yūki Is A Hero is eventually going to be debuted in English, I'm looking forward to watching the show.
At least this will [hopefully] somewhat mitigate that $72 price tag...
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:36 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
as you mentioned, there are multiple things I am into, and I have to apportion my budget accordingly. Since anime is actually somewhat down the list, I'll only make a few anime-related purchases per year for a few releases I really enjoy at a price I like.

And that is why companies like this don't feel like catering to you. Not trying to be mean, just blunt and honest. If a random person will buy $1000 of anime per year and is willing to buy DVDs for $200 and you only spend $80/year and won't spend more than $50 on a single show, then 10 of you still aren't worth ONE of the other guy. That's also why a ton of otaku targeted shows get made in Japan. People can say all they like about "what the mainstream wants", but the proven FACT is that the mainstream is limited (and fickle) in what they BUY.

Also, I don't think being a "fan" (or at least, not a "casual fan") is about what you're HAPPY to pay (I think most people would be HAPPY to pay less) but about what they are WILLING to pay. A comic collector would be HAPPY to pay $1 for Action Comics #1, but the serious collector (if they had the money) would be WILLING to pay much more than that. The "casual" would be fine with a reprint. Streaming video will be the "reprint".
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Then why does Hollywood stick strictly to wide, mainstream appeal, if theoretically they can make more money by selling only to the whales?
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:32 pm Reply with quote
AAA casts a broad net because a ticket here and a DVD there and soon you're talking real money. Niche markets have very different economics; in anime's case, it combines a fairly high-investment product with narrow audience, so in order for this small audience to support these expensive endeavors, there must be sufficient members willing to pay high amounts for these shows. Of course, this setup could lessen as the fanbase expands or the arrangement could remain and the new blood could fund a larger number of productions that fill new subniches; quite a few people here and elsewhere have imported Japanese discs simply for this reason.

Which brings me to another: everybody who loves to bitch about both anime not catering to their taste and AoA pricing. Sorry, but if you want the production committees to care, that price point is your friend: a show with good sales abroad at that price might well get a second look it wouldn't have otherwise, but a show with fantastic sales abroad at SAVE prices won't register on anybody's radar.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:51 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Then why does Hollywood stick strictly to wide, mainstream appeal, if theoretically they can make more money by selling only to the whales?

Hollywood targets the mainstream because they've painted themselves into the opposite corner and NEED to do that. You know why Hollywood LOVES horror movies? Because they're CHEAP.
"The Lone Ranger" targeted the mass market, it made $90mil (gross)
"Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The beginning" targeted horror fans, it made $40mil (gross)

One of these two was a moderate success, the other was a box office bomb. Why do indie flicks only get limited "art house" releases rather than full nationwide releases to every theater? Because one way makes money and the other way does not.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Does this mean that Aniplex makes more money than FUNimation, considering FUNimation's approach is to price as equally as possible with western fare? Or is FUNimation's approach to picking which anime to sell different, considering they have stuff like DBZ and One Piece which can potentially be sold to a wider audience than most other anime?
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Much like the video game industry and Hollywood, 1 hit can cover a lot of flaws. ADV did great for years mainly pulling cash out of the Evangelion cow. Viz has been milking Naruto for years, but there's... what, 5 of those titles total? It helps a LOT when you can put out 6 different versions of 1 title and people KEEP buying them (often the SAME people). But a couple of the "evergreen" titles that "had mainstream appeal" were:
"Evangelion" - ADV still went under, mostly from trying to turn everything else into Eva and/or trying to turn Eva into a "truly" mainstream live action movie
"Cowboy Bebop" - Bandai had this license first, and now they are gone

I don't know the financials of each company, but I ASSUME that AoA makes "less" money than FUNi, but what if AoA is PROFITABLE on every title whereas FUNi loses money on at least half of theirs. If you have a DragonballZ that makes a million and 10 titles that all lose $5,000, you still made a LOT of money. But how many of the $1million titles do you have, and what happens when you don't have one if you miss while trying to find one?
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, I see. That makes sense. FUNimation probably functions a lot like a Hollywood movie studio or a Burbank TV studio then--the way the western studios work is that only about 10% of their productions turns a profit while the other ones lose money or break even, but the ones that turn a profit tend to bring in so much money that they offset all the ones they lose money on. (Doesn't always work though--Time Warner, for instance, bleeds money without a tentpole franchise like Harry Potter, JRR Tolkien, or Batman.)

I can see how FUNimation could work the same way. Thank you for making it more clear.
strawberry-kun

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:08 am Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
Also, I don't think being a "fan" (or at least, not a "casual fan") is about what you're HAPPY to pay (I think most people would be HAPPY to pay less) but about what they are WILLING to pay. A comic collector would be HAPPY to pay $1 for Action Comics #1, but the serious collector (if they had the money) would be WILLING to pay much more than that. The "casual" would be fine with a reprint. Streaming video will be the "reprint".

I don't even really agree with that. This is how I see it. Are you a "hardcore" fan if you pay top dollar for Aniplex/Ponycan/imports? Yes. Are you automatically a casual fan if you are ticked off about having to pay such high prices to own the show in your region? No. It's too often in these threads that people throw everyone who is irritated that these companies are upsetting the R1 ecosystem so to speak under the casual label. It's ridiculous to me.

I really didn't come into the thread to complain about prices since that has been done to death, so I'll leave it at that.

Oh, and I wasn't referring to you kotomikun.
NorbieH

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:26 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

I've said it before, but they really don't care about the fans. They could be making just as much money (possibly more) at a lower price point with higher sales numbers. But they don't want to risk that. They tested the waters with high-income people and it worked for them so the'yre going to keep with it. I'm sure it costs them less this way too since they make fewer copies as well. In the end, it's more money. 100% about money for them.

They care, just not the same anime fans that are completely happy with the standard editions Funimation and Co. are releasing.

Also, doesn't Aniplex license some of their shows to such companies as Funimation and Santai? If this is the case then they can compare the different strategies between their expensive releases and the money they make by licensing out to others and decide which is the best option for a particular show.

It's all about money for every company. Pony Canyon will be no different.

I don't believe Pony Canyon upcoming anime releases are in the same league as Aniplex US, so if they charge the same high prices as Aniplex they will go in the way of Dodo.
[/b]
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:57 pm Reply with quote
What I find interesting about the whole "hardcore-vs-casual" thing is this question: I easily own more than 100 separate anime series, OVAs, or movies. I can count on one hand the series which I spent more than $100 on. So which camp would I fall in, then?
NorbieH

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
What I find interesting about the whole "hardcore-vs-casual" thing is this question: I easily own more than 100 separate anime series, OVAs, or movies. I can count on one hand the series which I spent more than $100 on. So which camp would I fall in, then?

The one where you have more that 100 separate anime series, OVAs, or movies. Wink

Size doesn't matter. Right?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Not really, because the reason people care about Japanese sales figures is to find out which shows did well. You're not just buying to toss money at the general industry but to reward a specific series. For non-Japanese, I guess it does depend more on how much you got, not how well devoted to some shows that you'll pay a ton for.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8