• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Saekano: How to Raise a Boring Girlfriend

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:28 am Reply with quote
The Kirito VA is getting typecast lately in harem shows but do you think this is his choice or it just happens when he gets cast?
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:07 am Reply with quote
I doubt anyone has a choice in being typecasted
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:14 am Reply with quote
While there may be picky voice actors, I suspect most take almost any work they can get. Being typecast is better than not being cast at all.
RHorsman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:46 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Also not appearing in episode 1 are the semi-awareness and knowing metafictional comments so prominent in episode 0, so those concerned about how far the series will go with that apparently needn't worry.

Huh, that was the only really distinguishing hook of ep 0 for me. Take that away and it's harem by the numbers, which is a snooze for me at this point.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:11 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
While there may be picky voice actors, I suspect most take almost any work they can get. Being typecast is better than not being cast at all.

Yeah, that is pretty consistent with what some actors have said in commentaries when the subject comes up. Nobody is making so much money on any particular role that they can afford to be overly picky. Most seem to look at the silver lining and accept the typecast roles while still auditioning for other things.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:17 am Reply with quote
DuskePredator: Interesting observations. If that really is what the series is doing then I will have to give it a lot more credit. Will look for that pattern in future episodes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:32 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I can't help but feel that people are continuing to miss the point. Complaints are that this is just a fanservice show with overdone harem aspects. A huge part of this show is doing that, but if you are following it the right way you will notice that the way characters are following those aspects is completely on purpose as it is actually commenting on it and doing the exact opposite.

Eriri is specifically cast into the tsundere childhood friend role, kind of a fetish role, and we find that her role is someone who draws fetish work. Utaha is a Senjougaha like role, the type that has that kind of love crush under her cold exterior, and we find out her role is that she writes love stories. Both of the girls seemed to have known him but were not too happy about something, which I get the feeling he literally has taken oblivious lead too far or long and they got sick of his lack of interest. Megumi's archetype? She does not have one, that is the whole point as despite having been around her for some time where she knew him and he had a fated encounter, he did not even know what her name was. I am quite sure we are meant to compare her lack extreme features of an archetype who is the heroine to the others who fit the roles to a cliché level.

Follow the dialogue and you notice that it is even pointed out that the girls fit perfectly into their archetypes by the standard friend who explain everything about girls. The main character, an otaku culture interested in and critiques it, finds that he really is not interested in the real world versions. When he has his fateful encounter he finds that they were right in front of him the whole time, and likely don't even share the interests he thought he might need. Say what you may, but that is kind of exactly the opposite of the cliché you think it is at first, actually I wonder if that is an artistic purpose that the OP seems so heavy on fanservice, while the ED is much tamer.

Probably jumping the gun, but I think the anime is asking the question of what you really want in a story like this. It is why episode 0 started off with a commentary on using fanservice, why the lead is such an insert character, and why it set up archetypes only for centre stage to be one that does not fit. And why the shifts in art style?

thanks for posting that, saved em the time for typing it, this series sesm to be taking harem to a nice meta level, I was sold on it since episode 00 as the mc was doing some info dumb just to be called out on it by one of the characters.

This still needs to be a good show while being complimented by the meta, so it does not become nyaruko chan.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:47 am Reply with quote
All that meta stuff from the first episode, which I liked, still doesn't change the fact that Megumi's boring. Yes, all the main characters have traits that appeal to the otaku but Megumi should have the upper hand in terms of personality but as the title says, she's boring.

It's not even the normal sort of boring but rather the dull kind. I would give the series some credit if she was the "normal one" but the series wants to point how her unremarkableness makes her remarkable. She should be "real" to offset how "fake" the other three are but it doesn't work out that way.

This is where the meta dies; If all the other characters are forced archetypes than having a forced blank as a baseline only serves to make her boringness nothing more than a fetish for the main character, no matter how nonsensical that is.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:57 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:

Considering how much they get paid, as in not much, I would agree with your statement. Some due get typecast for sure based on their voice, on both sides of the ocean. At the end of the day though would they rather be typecast and have money to buy food and pay bills, or be picky and refuse to be cast in a single role and have to live with their parents at 30+?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
All that meta stuff from the first episode, which I liked, still doesn't change the fact that Megumi's boring. Yes, all the main characters have traits that appeal to the otaku but Megumi should have the upper hand in terms of personality but as the title says, she's boring.

Could that really be it? Is that where we are at that all our anime has to give the love interests some crazy personality? That all shows marketed towards a specific audience have to give the character the same old personality quirks of the tsundere, the serious one, etc., and all other characters are just background characters of no worth?

You hear it fairly often the idea that girls are being given unrealistic expectations through something like Disney with princes. Is there not some crazy expectations thrown into these harem shows?

I actually was having the idea recently that the generally moe character can be a pretty terrible pick. Specifically when I was watching Majimoji and realised that instead of the ancient, clumsy, expressionless loli, the much better choice was the relatively normal girl who's face is blocked by her glasses and acts as a perfect foil, would be better. Anime tends to pass up more fitting choices over the quirky interesting one.
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Warning: This entire post is me going off on a rant, so if you like this series, then I would advise you to not read this post.

Might be weird that I'm looking in the forum before I have even watched episode 0, but I don't feel like watching this. The review summed up a lot, and from it I'm guessing that episode 0 was really fanservice rich while episode 1 was the opposite. Don't know if that's good or not, because if episode 0 is six months after episode 1, then we can expect the fanservice levels to slowly rise to that of episode 0. I will continue to survey this show, but unless it gets an A by its finale, I don't think I will watch it. I guess it's mainly because I'm biased towards it, I admit. The idea of an otaku boy attracting some of the most beautiful girls in the school is every otaku's dream, and also their jealousy. Though I would love to be in Aki's shoes, this plot is making me really annoyed. From what I have read, Aki is nothing special in the male lead department. Why do the most beautiful girls in the school love him? Because reasons... This happens a lot in harems. An "average looking boy" attracts the attention of the "hottest girls" in the school. For what reason? To make a game... I think anime studios should work on their male leads more, because a lot of them make me think, "What did he do/Why is he deserving of the girls' love?" Because he's nice? Because he's a gentleman? Usually in harem shows I see wannabe heroes trying to "protect" the girls (take example from Rosario Vampire's Tsukune), but just ends up being completely useless. Just a heroic attitude won't do, you need the power as well. At least Kirito was actually strong enough to do that. And I hope in future episodes Aki can prove himself to be worthy of the girls' attention. Probably not fair that I'm saying this before I watch this series, but if it turns out to be good, I will take back what I say and delete (edit) this post.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:03 pm Reply with quote
No need to go back and edit the post if that happens, Cyphon. We all realize that opinions can change over the course of a series and there's definitely no shame in admitting later on that your initial impressions were off. (Happened to me lots of times!) Just make a new post explaining how you've changed your mind.

As for your concerns, despite seeming to be an ordinary harem series the writing here does seem a little smarter than normal, so I strongly suspect that we will see how Aki got the attention of the two girls addressed in much more detail as the series goes forward. (And besides, while that scenario is mostly fantasy, I have seen a couple of cases IRL where gorgeous ladies have seemed to be romantically involved with guys whose looks I would have said were even below average, and in situations where money/power wasn't likely to have been a factor.) Also, don't forget the way I described episode 0: it's an obligatory "fan service fest" episode, the kind that normally appears as an OVA. Those often go vastly beyond any fan service content that the series might otherwise have, so I think it's probable that we actually won't see the "ramping up" that you're concerned about. In fact, I am fully anticipating that the fan service will remain low for the rest of the series, with possibly one or two episodes as exceptions.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:52 pm Reply with quote
I noticed two things in Aki's room you missed. one is a figurine of Hakua/Zange from Kannagi, and what appears to be volume of Amagi Brilliant Park on his floor when he got out of bed.

Not sure about this one but in the shot of Aki in bed, one LN volume looks like Date A Live with Kurumi on the cover
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:57 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
I noticed two things in Aki's room you missed. one is a figurine of Hakua/Zange from Kannagi, and what appears to be volume of Amagi Brilliant Park on his floor when he got out of bed

Also, on the bookshelf there were the spines of the LN series Kūsen Madōshi Kōhosei no Kyōkan (which will premiere in April and Matsuoka Yoshitsugu will voice the lead in it. Also, it will be animated by Diomedéa, who animates the currently-airing Jūō Mujin no Fafnir, which has Matsuoka Yoshitsugu as the MC's voice. It is all connected, man. Wicked Cool ), Highschool DxD and Date A Live.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:01 pm Reply with quote
ah, cant read the language so I didn't bother looking, but yeah, I now see vol 1,3,4,5, and 6 of DxD on the shelf along with more Amagi
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8