• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Cosplayers Celebrate Black History Month with #28DaysOfBlackCosplay

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shenl742

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:21 am Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:

Though wouldn't it make more sense to celebrate black history by cosplaying actual black characters? Or characters made by black creators like Dwayne McDuffie? It is a month about celebrating black contributions to history, after all.

-Stuart Smith

Maybe black anime fans don't think they need to fit a stereotype?

Maybe they think they should be free to cosplay as whatever they want?

Maybe expressing your fandom transcends race?

Maybe being able to be a black anime fan, and being free to cosplay as whoever they want, however they want, without anyone judging them, or worrying about how much "sense" it makes, is a small part of their personal Black History.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:42 am Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:

Though wouldn't it make more sense to celebrate black history by cosplaying actual black characters? Or characters made by black creators like Dwayne McDuffie? It is a month about celebrating black contributions to history, after all.

-Stuart Smith

And by that logic white people who are not Japanese should stop cosplaying as Japanese characters right? Americans should only cosplay as American characters in anime. Perhaps it would make more sense to celebrate equality and just leave it at that.

Moving on, I have to say that Stacker Pentacost cosplay as amazing. I had seen photos before of him but I am still amazed. Not just at the amazing cosplay itself, but also his apparent attitude to not let being in a wheelchair stop him.
roxybudgy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:59 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:

And by that logic white people who are not Japanese should stop cosplaying as Japanese characters right? Americans should only cosplay as American characters in anime. Perhaps it would make more sense to celebrate equality and just leave it at that.

I don't think that's what they meant at all.

Rather I think what the other poster meant to say was that cosplaying as 'black' characters would be an appropriate way to celebrate black history month because it brings attention to those characters.

Like how you might eat okonomiyaki at Japanese culture day, as opposed to spaghetti bolognese made by Japanese people. Or have lion dance at Chinese New Year, instead of Chinese people dancing to the polka.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:23 am Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:

-Stuart Smith

I actually thought that would be the focus of the hashtag, too, but:
1. It's a depressing reality that there are relatively few characters of color in genre fiction (including American/Western comics, anime, manga, video games, etc)
2. People should be able to cosplay whomever they want in general. I've seen grown men with prominent facial hair dressed as fairy princesses. I saw a woman that shaved her head to cosplay Aang from Avatar the Last Airbender. I've worn pink tights and gone to a con as Princess Bubblegum, myself. The only rule for Cosplay: why? Why not!
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:32 am Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:

-Stuart Smith

It's not like these cosplays were done FOR the month of February. They've been around and this is only to feature amazing black cosplayers in our community.

Not that there's that many black characters to cosplay anyway... But why cosplay as characters we might not have a connection with anyway just because it's black history month?
Freyanne

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:54 am Reply with quote
This is a really nice and neat idea! I really wish something like this was around back when I was a teenager.

Stuart Smith wrote:
maximillianjenus wrote:
Ia gree, at first I tought this was pandering, but then I remembered the shit black cosplayers have to put up with for cosplaying asians even though it's perfectly ok for whites to do it or so it seems.

Really? I see tons of complaints about cultural appropriation when it comes to white people cosplaying. Especially if they try to do the old "well, anime characters look white anyway" mantra that get them called racist.

I'm not sure if it's still like this (I haven't really kept up with the cosplay community these last some-odd years) but I know at least some years back, I (as an African American female) would get, for example, much more flack if I were to cosplay as Boa Hancock from One Piece than if one of my best friends (Caucasian/white female) were to cosplay as Yoruichi from Bleach.
Heck, a long time ago when I wanted to get into cosplay, I've even had friends tell me I couldn't/shouldn't cosplay certain characters because I was black, and that discouraged me from even wanting to try until a year or two ago.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:56 am Reply with quote
Man, that Pacific Rim cosplay is impressive. He kind of looks like Idris Elba too. I also like the Barret, Viera, and the red girl at the top. Oh, and the Superman and Wonder Woman look totally kick ass.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:44 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
notrogersmith wrote:

I admit that when I first saw the headline, I half-expected cosplayers in blackface. Shocked Glad that it was very much otherwise. Smile

ANN wouldn't publish anything with a blackface, they would lose credibility and their readers too if they did that.

Though Japanese girls were doing it not too long ago! Shocked
FlyGuySempai

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:08 am Reply with quote
YES! Its great to see my people cosplaying anime characters, especially with all the ignorance that goes on in the actual community. This is really cool.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Cyborg 008 from Cyborg 009 would be an interesting person to cosplay as.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2