• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Food Wars! Shokugeki no Soma (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Banken

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:54 am Reply with quote
In real life a large company like Mozuya would have a superior wrap out within a week.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Banken wrote:
In real life a large company like Mozuya would have a superior wrap out within a week.

I don't think so, and for several reasons. They might try and the libertarians in all of us would point out that competition would compel them to do exactly that.

The main reason is that large operations simply cannot cook food the way small restaurants do. Recall Elina in an early episode (2nd?) upbraiding one chef (throwing hot soup at him) because she detected that he had compromised quality by becoming more efficient. But that always happens with mass kitchens.

(Come to think of it I think this must be one of the reasons that the camp often focused on high-volume exercises. There are always trade-offs and I would expect their student chefs would be expected to make the right ones.)

Personally I can make a hamburger vastly superior to anything McDonalds or Burger King has ever mass produced. I don't doubt for a moment that with all their resources ($) those organizations could do far better than me. Outsource it if nothing else. Yet bringing that item to the market from LA to Bangor at a reasonable price is another kettle of fish.
Banken

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:26 am Reply with quote
The money and manpower behind the company almost assures that they will be able to create something at least equal to the Sumire-mark chicken wrap, if not superior, and probably at a more competitive price (because of their economies of scale).

And since you can't patent or copyright food, there's nothing the Bento store would be able to do about it.

In the long run, Mozuya wins. Imagine what would happen if suddenly a few of those schools close down because of the declining population? They would be screwed. It happens all the time in Japan. The train station location is vastly superior, strategically speaking.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:14 am Reply with quote
Banken wrote:
The money and manpower behind the company almost assures that they will be able to create something at least equal to the Sumire-mark chicken wrap, if not superior, and probably at a more competitive price (because of their economies of scale).

You are right about the price but not the quality. Efficiency is the opposite of craftsmanship. For one thing Soma and Mito identified that one weakness of Mozuya is that they package their food to go, intended to carry home and reheat int he microwave, reducing its texture an flavor.

That's not to say they can't improve. Examples in real life about large scale corporate food that did improve over what was there before include Chipoltes, Panera, Rubios, and of course Starbucks.

As good as Chipoltes and Rubios are, they will never be able o beat that little taqueria or burrito shop nearby that is run by a family that has been making their own recipes for years.
Quote:
In the long run, Mozuya wins.

There was never any notion that Mozuya would be run out of business or even diminished in sales. This was all about a small business re-capturing market share by upgrading its product in response to competition. Of course the available market could go away but that's a different story.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Episode 19:

Hmm, this look like to me like more of a buildup episode this week.

That Nao girl gives me the creeps though with her yandere tendencies. I also think that Megumi should build more of her confidence as she does belong where she is at the moment.

Not bad though. There's a good amount of competitive atmosphere going on!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Camera 1! Camera 2! Camera 3! lol

We've seen that a zillion times but I don't recall it ever being funny before.

Stark700 wrote:
There's a good amount of competitive atmosphere going on!

I don't think I have seen an anime recently that builds up a competition as well as this one. How can Soma possibly win this one?

spoiler[Doorknob]. lol.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:09 am Reply with quote
Episode 19

Curry. I wish I could have a good curry, but the people around me have little interest in it, so I barely get the chance to try something that satisfies me. I was planning to go to a Japanese restaurant tomorrow, I have been look forward to going almost week, I previously just tried ramen there for the first time. I was thinking about trying katsudon, but I also know they do curry.

I was wondering when the creepy girl from the ED would show up.
Banken

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:42 am Reply with quote
I don't see how someone who does all spices, all the time (all-spice, all the thyme?) could possibly be a well-rounded enough chef to past the Training Camp from Hell.

Once again, the students' culinary careers are on the line, and possibly even more so (by the show's internal logic) than before.

Is "Sacchan" from "Sacchan's Sexy Curry" referring to Nao Sadatsuka (the creeper/stalker girl)? I didn't realize until today that it was "sexy curry." I thought it was "sexy color." I personally don't like the singer's voice...
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:44 pm Reply with quote
why all the Nakiris are kind of just there for comedy only?
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:34 am Reply with quote
Banken wrote:
I don't see how someone who does all spices, all the time (all-spice, all the thyme?) could possibly be a well-rounded enough chef to past the Training Camp from Hell.

Good point, but this guy Akira Hayama is hardly the only one that you wonder how he survives/survived that environment. Literally hundreds of characters in the background have the same status. And not just the background characters either that includes the ensemble characters from the Polar Star dorm. Like that guy (forget the name) whom they are always crashing in on.

Totsuki Academy hardly seems like a school at all to begin with, at least at the high school level. No teaching happens at all -- instead what they do is merely culling. The "students" arrive with what they need to survive or they don't. In fact the only teaching that goes on is one student advising another the way Hayama did for Soma and Megumi this episode and Soma helping Megumi in the past.
Banken

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:16 am Reply with quote
This isn't a slice of life cooking show, it's an over-the-top HIGH SCHOOL BRAWLING/Shonen Tournament show that just happens to be cooking. Education is irrelevant.

Like I said before, it's basically 100% shonen manga tropes. It's Tenjo Tenge with cutting boards meets HunterXHunter with spices.

I suppose since almost all the characters but Soma (???) already went through three years of top-grade culinary training, it should be obvious that all of the characters are, at the very least, good cooks. So they're using the extreme level of competition to make a handful of students rise to the occasion and become the best young chefs in the country. Everyone else will more than likely be reasonably successful working in a kitchen, or running a restaurant, but they will never reach superstar status.

When did the Aldini's come to Totsuki? After elementary school? Soma is the only transfer student afterall...
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:23 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy, Spotlesseden: the dish is still does not fit to breakfast at all (too heavy) and contains crazy level of calories, which is unhealthy even if you discard higher cancer risks.

Episode 18: the show has chosen to give main lad's party advantage over chicken parts chain by making the latter serving the dish in only packaged form, which is ridiculous giveaway that is not convincing at all. In reality, there would not be such advantage as the dish would be served by such chain both ways; main lad's party would not be able to win -- not even close. (Though, of course, such challenge is also purely fantasy-land thing, but lets try to accept it for a second.)

Also, writers have made that female chain manager into a caricature villain. They treat viewers like they are little children -- which is not bad per se, but it contradicts to sexualized orgasmic images they portray in the show.

It is still weird that few lasses are shown to have interest in lads, including in the main one, but that main one does not indicate any interest in women (even very sexy ones) at all.

Does it mean that he is asexual or gay? (His voice's deep enough to indicate that he still has developed and working gonads so his testosterone level is normal, so it is not issue with the health.) It is not really feasible to offer other explanations. That character is not shy at all, so for him to never notice lasses and not make advanced towards them is the least possible thing to believe, especially for the hormonal explosion in that age. This makes character more fake than necessary; it is drawback in the writing.

I could even accept if none of characters in the story ever has shown interested in anyone -- at least it would be consistent. But as it is now it is not impossible to make excuse that "relationship and desire are not part of the story", so the given picture becomes quite strange.

Last edited by MaxSouth on Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:59 am; edited 1 time in total
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:56 am Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
It is still weird that few lasses are shown to have interest in lads, including in the main one, but that main one does not indicate any interest in women (even very sexy ones) at all.

As Banken pointed out, this is pretty much a Shonen production and what you are pointing out is pretty much standard fare in that genre. Think of of Ichigo from Bleach or Natsu from Fairy Tail. Same thing as Soma they are so focused on excelling or competing that they really have no time for girls. (Quite remarkable when you have someone like Lucy at hand.)

It isn't a matter of being asexual or gay. It is just that sex isn't a primary focus (foodgasm fan service notwithstanding). From the perspective of storytelling I am glad that it is this way for this story at least.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:10 am Reply with quote
As I explained, if it was not part of the story, then authors would not spend time on depicting lasses lusting over main lad. But authors do spend time on it, hence it contradicts the notion that such things are not part of the story.

But yes, you are right that this is stupid unspoken rule of shonen is evident in by far most of mainstream projects, not just here (from One Piece to Naruto to you name it). I am just pointing out how it makes character less believable; inconsistency damages the project.

Apparently, manga bosses think that if main-stream shonen story would ever show that main lads have desire, somehow it would be a great scandal, that parents would be outraged that publishers via main protagonists "propagandise" oh-so-harmful promiscuity (as opposed to oh-so-healthy smoking habits of secondary characters, which parents are fine with).

This is is ridiculous and backwards notion (especially in this case where everything is sexualized, except for main lad). Pressing of those very specific hypocritical fake morals is still a burden for the industry, and bad for society.
Banken

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:33 am Reply with quote
Everything you have mentioned are STANDARD SHONEN TROPES.

Most shonen anime/manga involve main male characters who either seem to be uninterested in the opposite sex (as far as we can tell), or at least completely clueless about the attention the opposite sex pays to them (as far as we can tell).

Being as over-top-top as a cooking show can be, real-life logic does not always apply.

Basically, having multiple female characters interested in the lead male character without him actively pursuing them romantically (or sexually) satisfies the fantasies of the male audience while not scaring off girls or offending parents.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 13