• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Imagica, Cool Japan Buy Localization Company SDI Media

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:26 pm Reply with quote
@mdo7

The problem with blanket statements like
Quote:
Japanese companies still "don't get/understand the US market",
is that even if they are true in general they may not be true for the individual. That is why stereotypes are considered bad. Also just because something was true in the past doesn't mean it will be true forever.

My point is that individual Japanese companies can learn to understand the US market or hire people to understand it for them. That appears to be what is being attempted here by Imagica. It remains to be seen if it is successful. It probably depends on the individuals involved.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@mdo7

The problem with blanket statements like
Quote:
is that even if they are true in general they may not be true for the individual. That is why stereotypes are considered bad. Also just because something was true in the past doesn't mean it will be true forever.

My point is that individual Japanese companies can learn to understand the US market or hire people to understand it for them. That appears to be what is being attempted here by Imagica. It remains to be seen if it is successful. It probably depends on the individuals involved.

It's not a blanket statement, Justin "Answerman" Servakis has brought this up before, and I agreed with him and I've seen it myself. Sadly, the Japanese bosses may not listen to their American employees when it comes to adapting to the US market.

To quote Justin:

Quote:
I've spent years trying to navigate and understand the Japanese reason the entrenched Japanese entertainment business refuses to do things that will clearly make them money, and start growing a bigger audience overseas. Part of it is definitely arrogance ("This is one of the biggest stars in Japan! If we're going to invade America now, I want my client to be paid what he's worth!"), the ever-present expectation that audiences in the West will work exactly like they do in Japan (ludicrously priced CDs and all), and a demand for control that simply isn't tolerated elsewhere. In my opinion, the Japanese entertainment industry has sabotaged itself with its methodology, and until that changes they won't be able to grow much of an overseas audience.

Quote:
Once in a blue moon, some renegade production committee will somehow find the money to make a major push with something only Westerners would like (Space Dandy, anyone?), but for the vast majority of productions, what American fans want is irrelevant. Producers in Japan don't understand American tastes, and don't try to predict them. The few times they've tried in the past, they've mostly ended up with very expensive failures.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:38 pm Reply with quote
[quote="mdo7"]
Quote:
Once in a blue moon, some renegade production committee will somehow find the money to make a major push with something only Westerners would like (Space Dandy, anyone?), but for the vast majority of productions, what American fans want is irrelevant. Producers in Japan don't understand American tastes, and don't try to predict them. The few times they've tried in the past, they've mostly ended up with very expensive failures.

To answer that bolded part, Hayao Miyazaki has never tried to aim at the foreign markets. The only two exceptions I can think are Rowlf, which was never made and Sherlock Hound, which was a co-production with RAI (Italy's public broadcasting company). Akira Kurosawa is another director, who's stated that he never tried to make movies for foreigners and that neither should anyone else.

Like everone should know by now, no one outside of Japan cares about Miyazaki or Kurosawa. If Miyazaki had allowed the Weinsteins to cut Princess Mononoke, he would be more famous than Disney himself.

PS: Foreign releases of Japanese music usually cost much less than their Japanese versions.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:55 pm Reply with quote
@mdo7
Justin is correct, an American going to Japan and trying to pry loose a specific piece of intellectual property is likely going to go through all sorts of hell. But it is a generalization.

You are jumping on that and assuming that it means that no Japanese company will ever understand the US market well enough to do well. Sorry, but that ignores reality.

In addition to Kodansha and Aniplex which I've already mentioned, did you ever hear of Viz?? They are Japanese owned and have been successful for years. Vertical, they are owned by Kodansha also. Pioneer/Geneon are now dead but they lasted for years and what killed them was not Japanese business practices but the same problems that almost killed ADV. Bandai Visual is a good example of Japanese arrogance gone wild. But Bandai Entertainment was successful for years and was reported to be still profitable at the end. They died in the type of cooperate reshuffling that US business do all the time.

Every time there is a mention of a Japanese company trying to do business in the US you jump in and say
Quote:
my point is that it is not true in every case. Further the past is not destiny. A lot is going to depend on how badly they want this to work.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Alan45,

What you listed are exceptions, but I'll agree that some Japanese companies know the US market, but there still majority of Japanese companies that don't get the US market. Viz Media got that correct probably because their Japanese holders really trust their employees that are not of Japanese descent. I will agreed Bandai did suffer from Japanese arrogance behavior which led to the downfall of Bandai Entertainment USA. But there is still a lot of Japanese companies that don't understand how the US market operate. Kodansha are doing it correctly, but Aniplex is a bit of an issue (ie: pricing).

Until I see something beneficial and positive come out of this, I remain pessimistic.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AtoMan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:19 pm Reply with quote
But there's quite a big presence of anime on US market (not as big as in 90s/00s, but...). Not all european markets are so lucky, and I'm pretty sure most of SDI branches are situated in Europe, not to mention the big licensing shows (Cannes, Berlin, etc) where certain shows can be offered with several dubs for international markets (several Nickelodeon, CN and Disney Channels have one feed for more than one country).

I think there is some SDI branch for US, but did they do anything noticeable?
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:22 pm Reply with quote
AtoMan wrote:

I think there is some SDI branch for US, but did they do anything noticeable?

Not sure, to be honest I never even heard of SDI Media until just now.
AtoMan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:27 pm Reply with quote
http://www.sdimedia.com/locations/ < yeah, pretty much european-oriented.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:29 pm Reply with quote
AtoMan wrote:
http://www.sdimedia.com/locations/ < yeah, pretty much european-oriented.

Hm, that pretty much explain why I've never heard of this company.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@mdo7
When your company lacks a skill set, the easiest way to get it is to buy a company that has it or hire their employees. Microsoft, Google and others have been successfully doing this for years. The hard part is learning to listen to the new employees you acquired when they offer advice. Both Kodansha and Aniplex seem to have done this successfully.

That strategy not only requires your company be huge (as is with Google and Microsoft), it's still a big risk, as it not only frequently destroys the acquired company from the inside, reducing it simply to a manufacturer of the products the larger company has bought it for (this is Zynga's way of doing things, as it buys companies to expand its staff; and AT&T's way of doing things, in order to eliminate competition), but the stuff the purchased company produces has to be profitable enough that the price of the purchase must be worth it. Johnson & Johnson, for instance, went from a multibillion dolar corporation to nearly bankrupt in 1996 buying Cordis Corporation because the stents it bought Cordis for quickly became obsolete as competition with better stents quickly popped up.

Then again, Johnson & Johnson did wrestle control of Cordis away, forcing it to simply make those stents. Considering SDI makes a lot of stuff not related to anime, this can only benefit consumers in general if Imagica and Cool Japan let SDI do its own thing and not force it to only make Japan-related products. Otherwise, it'll be cutting off a major localization company for a variety of products and countries to selfishly make things for one country's whims.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:32 pm Reply with quote
@leafy sea dragon
Yes, I'm aware that acquisition can go horribly wrong. Sometimes a company is acquired simply to shut down a competitor. But the basic principal remains sound. If you don't know how to do something obtain people who do know how and let them teach you.

Properly handled, Imagica could end up adding Japanese media to what SDI Media already handles. Done wrong and all the talented people go elsewhere with their contacts and start one or more new companies and Imagica is left with a handful of nothing.

The Japanese can work with other countries, it just depends on how badly they want to.
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Isn' Aniplex successful though? Poor people complaining about them doesn't matter if they're making money. There's a difference between not understanding the US market and not catering to the US market. The average American doesn't care for fancy, well-crafted boxsets, but they don't need to sell to the average American when they can sell to the hardcore American fans and make their money that way
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Aniplex very likely is successful. They don't (and don't have to) release any financial reports so no one knows for sure. However, they haven't gone out of business yet, so probably yes. They are certainly doing better than Media Blasters.

Concerning SDI Media, looking at the map linked above, what I'm seeing is not so much a European focused company but one office per country. Countries are just smaller and closer together in Europe.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:23 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

Considering SDI makes a lot of stuff not related to anime, this can only benefit consumers in general if Imagica and Cool Japan let SDI do its own thing and not force it to only make Japan-related products. Otherwise, it'll be cutting off a major localization company for a variety of products and countries to selfishly make things for one country's whims.

I do share the same thought as Leafy Sea Dragon. I'm a little concern what kind of approach their Japanese bosses will make SDI do.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2