• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids Loses $256k in Q3

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:47 pm Reply with quote
FlamingPinecone wrote:
Quote:
Say fawhoooosh one more time and i'm considering your arguements to be bunk and pointless.

Quote:
Abarenbo's right. Will you please stop with that?

fawhooooosh!

Your arguements are now redundant and pointless. Good Day.

britannicamoore wrote:
Murasakisuishou wrote:
All right, just so I don't look like an idiot, can someone please explain to me how (if at all) the uncut DVDs from 4Kids were advertised? And I mean actually by 4Kids and not by outside sources; I should not have had to go poking all over the internet to find something that they apparently wanted to sell to me.

i was thinking about this for awhile. I can admit that I never saw any type of promotion for these dvds. I checked a few of my Shonen jumps and theres nothing there.

I honestly feel it was a word of mouth thing- and then the surprise to those who randomly saw them on the shelves. I know I walked into Media Play and was like: Untcut what?!

I feel they didn't really try to promote them, because they didn't want them to sell. That way when we ask for uncut dvds they say: Oh but they were there!
Even though they took the "time" to produce them.

Maybe someone esle has an answer.

Edit: And why the hell is the Funimation logo on the box?

FUNimation was "hired" to release the Uncut DVD's. My guess is that 4Kids didn't want to be associated with such items. Which I think was a good idea; let a third party (or a subsidiary) release the Uncut DVD's without 4Kids being mostly associated with it.

Viz I think has a great idea with Naruto; release the TV Edits first, and after a few DVD releases, release a special edition uncut boxset. Since the pricepoint will be higher for the Uncut box a/or have some items that might make a parent cringe (I'm paying $20 extra for WHAT now?!?!) the "wall" between kids and otaku is defined abit.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
FUNimation was "hired" to release the Uncut DVD's. My guess is that 4Kids didn't want to be associated with such items. Which I think was a good idea; let a third party (or a subsidiary) release the Uncut DVD's without 4Kids being mostly associated with it.

Viz I think has a great idea with Naruto; release the TV Edits first, and after a few DVD releases, release a special edition uncut boxset. Since the pricepoint will be higher for the Uncut box a/or have some items that might make a parent cringe (I'm paying $20 extra for WHAT now?!?!) the "wall" between kids and otaku is defined abit.

That makes sense. Although it comes at the price of our pocketbooks.

If they weren't even really assocaited with them then why the fuss? They were making money even if they were selling uncuts.

4kids makes me want to go into bussiness to crush them.
And uh...what does fawoosh? mean?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:07 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:

That makes sense. Although it comes at the price of our pocketbooks.

If they weren't even really assocaited with them then why the fuss? They were making money even if they were selling uncuts.

4kids makes me want to go into bussiness to crush them.

Ah, thats the problem. Nobody outside of 4Kids and some other people knows how well the project worked. Heck, the ANN site owners know, but won't cough up the info. Something about "trade secrets" or something like that; forgot what tempest or Answerman said many months back. One of them was kinda vague about the sales figures, but didn't want to prove his claim by backing it up with hard numbers. So we're pretty much left open to speculation and rumors.

For the sake of arguement, lets say the project worked. 4Kids is now put in a difficult position. They claimed that such edits won't work in the US market. We otaku proved them wrong, despite their lackluster job (I think they opted for CC than soft subtitles). So what now? Such results would be catastrophic. Remember, 4kids is a company that "makes" kids programming. Even being associated with teenagers and "geeks" would hurt their business image.

4kids now has to backtrack on the project and declare it a bomb. They cite some bullcrap reason, and put it "on hold."

Frankly IMHO, I think 4Kids management needs a major shakeup of sorts in order to post black ink. Kahn has listed numerous red ink quarters. Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh are not the powerhouses they are. Heck, they never even translated parts of the marketing models to W.I.N.X. and One Piece. And even thought they made 4Sight, they only load it with RAF and AKC licencses. A gross misuse of resources if you ask me.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:15 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Something about "trade secrets" or something like that; forgot what tempest or Answerman said many months back.

They cannot give the numbers due to whatever forms and stuff they sign to get access to these numbers. If they do, they could be sued for it.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:34 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Quote:
Something about "trade secrets" or something like that; forgot what tempest or Answerman said many months back.

They cannot give the numbers due to whatever forms and stuff they sign to get access to these numbers. If they do, they could be sued for it.

Still, if their gonna even claim such "results" and not back it up, then don't bother mentioning it at all. It's like a cop claiming you're going 65 in a 55 and your gonna get a ticket, yet refuses to show you his speedtrap gun when asked about it.
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:45 am Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
Murasakisuishou wrote:
All right, just so I don't look like an idiot, can someone please explain to me how (if at all) the uncut DVDs from 4Kids were advertised? And I mean actually by 4Kids and not by outside sources; I should not have had to go poking all over the internet to find something that they apparently wanted to sell to me.

i was thinking about this for awhile. I can admit that I never saw any type of promotion for these dvds. I checked a few of my Shonen jumps and theres nothing there.

I honestly feel it was a word of mouth thing- and then the surprise to those who randomly saw them on the shelves. I know I walked into Media Play and was like: Untcut what?!

So then by the time those of us who live in the middle of nowhere heard about the uncut DVDs, it was on forums like this when people were complaining about how they weren't available anymore. Great marketing strategy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:31 am Reply with quote
Shonen Bat wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Shonen Bat wrote:
Day Two of this flame war is over. Can't WAIT for Day Three. Well I'm tired, it's 12:25 where I am, and I'm going to sleep. I need my energy in case of any more of these posts by Mohawk directed at me and Kouji.Hope this doesn't get this topic locked.
Obviously a pointless exercise in futility. I shall exhaust you both, or myself, no further. Rolling Eyes

That's good. Go bother some other forum and tell the young people there that their opinions don't matter since they're young. And since you haven't apologized for what you said about my brother, I'm taking back my apology about your dad.
If you can point anywhere in my posts where I blatently and purposely insulted you, or your brother I'll apologise for it, unreservedly.
Quote:
Seriously. Don't you have anything better to do than argue with one kid who's only 21 and another kid who's only 15? Shouldn't you be more concerned about your "14 year old" than the kids of some other people. And what the hell's with that "pointless excercise in futililty" comment?
It's pointless and futile to explain it to you because you will just partly read it, then only take a few snippits of what I've said and totally miscomprehend it, then twist it into some delusional idea that I am some how argueing and insulting you like you both have done through out here, so I won't bother.
Quote:
It really WAS 12:25 where I live. I live in Wisconsin and it was really late. I have to get up at 6:30 in the morning just to go to school so I'm really tired when I get home. I don't know how long YOU spend on the computer arguing with kids and telling them their opinions are worthless but SOME OF US actually HAVE a life.

And one last thing. My brother may not have been around a lot but he DOES care about me. And he's a far better person than YOU are. At least he's nice to kids. At least he doesn't treat them like they're inferior little beings like you do. And y'know what else? He's always looked out for me, been there for me, taken care of me, and probably even protected me. Still think he doesn't care about his little brother?[ You say one more bad thing about him, and I'll tear your mouth off. Ya jerk.
Case in point here. I have no idea what you’re on about with this little tantrum. I never said anything like that about your brother or any other member of your family. I only asked a question trying to understand just what it was you were trying to say because it made no sense to me. Also if you were my son you wouldn't be wasting your time on a computer at 1225, (I presume that is AM), when you have to get up 0630,( I also presume for school). A child your age needs at least 10 hours sleep and your incomprehension and ranting has proved this.
One can not have a sober discussion with a person who is deprived of sleep, and intoxicated with hormonal angst.

Back on topic now and for all this little set back is for 4Kids, their stock price is still better than this time last year. Also when they have a turn over of a few million a year, a loss of just under $300,000USD shouldn't have them running for the lifeboats just yet.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8