• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids Loses $256k in Q3

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:48 am Reply with quote
Kouji wrote:

What the hell does age have anything to do with this? I'm 21 and I feel exactly the same way. And the scene in Yugioh GX it's NOT of a mature nature. It's not like they're watching Shinji over-hearing Misato and Asuka talking about each others' bodies in a hot spring with lots of sexual innuendo. This is Yugioh. It's not freaking NGE. For Christ's sake, they aren't even showing nipples. IT'S NOT ANY WORSE THAN A BARBIE DOLL. Or do you think Mattel should censor Barbie dolls now? And once again you don't know that the younger brother was traumatized here. The older brother saw the breasts that wasn't even showing anything and panicked and wouldn't let his younger brother see it anymore without even stopping to see what the younger brother's reaction was. Chances are the younger brother probably didn't even care and it could have gone completely over his head without him realizing what was going on. And what exactly did the older brother accomplish here? Did the older brother explain to the younger brother what was going on or why exactly he thought breasts were bad? It sure doesn't look like that way to me. But now if he told his brother not to look at it anymore without any explanation why the younger brother is probably going to be even more confused than before. Hiding these things from him does not prevent him from being a sick pervert. Not explaining properly what's right or wrong probably will. The BIBLE has far worse scenes than anything Yugioh GX does but that doesn't stop parents from reading it to their kids, does it?

Shonen Bat wrote:
[First, not to take Mohawk's side(And I'm not) but 21 isn't exactly "mature" yet. You're still a kid, Kouji, like me.
I couldn't have said it better myself. Wink
Quote:
Anyway, back to the real dissucsion. Once again , you nail what I was saying. Yu-GI-Oh! GX is a show for young boys, NGE is for a mature audience. Do you really think even the sub of GX would have stuff like that? Besides it's not like Sho or Judai were masturbating while watching Alexis take a bath. The closest thing to that(Which is also really distant) was Sho going to the Obelisk Blue Dorm to confess his love to Alexis. THAT'S IT!! No sex, nothing, just a confession which didn't really happen. And about your bible reference Kouji, I agree. Parents take their kids to church where they hear about demons that'll torture you for eternity if you're bad. And they're told about a man who was nailed to a cross and whipped(I believe it was) until he died. You think THAT wouldn't scare or damage an eight year old's psyche but a frickin' BATH SCENE would?! If kids can stand to hear stuff like THAT, they're defineatly old enough to see a bath scene where they're NOT EVEN SHOWING THE BOOBS!
Are either of you Christian, and do either go to church? That might happen in some Christian churches but in all my years as a practising Catholic, I can not remember it being that horrendous. The world is a funny old place, and there are all kinds that make it that way, so you'll just have to understand that what you find completely within your standard of ethics is not necessarily what others will as well. You both find it acceptable. I don't watch Yu-Gi-Oh, and though my two still love Pokemon, they didn't care for Yu-Gi-Oh and so didn't watch it for long either. But if what you have described is correct, I wouldn't have reacted that way either. However, no matter. He did not accept it as being suitable for his little brother and that is the top and tail of it. To argue, rant, and rail against him, and call him stupid, and such for that, is seen by us "older folk" who are active parents, or guardians, as just children having a tantum because they don't like something and a sign that though one is of a certain age, one does not have what would be considered a mature attitude. In short a "school boy error". A mature person would, or should, have just said "to each their own" and moved on. But when you both are older yourselves, I hope this will become more clearer to you when a 15, or 21-year-old calls you "stupid" for your beliefs and feelings. Hopefully it is never your own children should you ever have them. Crying or Very sad

Shonen Bat wrote:
[One last question for Mohawk: Why are you always using the wink emoticon when responding to what I post? This better not have to do with the fact that I'm still a shota (young boy). So does that have a hidden meaning to it or do you just like that one the best? I don't expect this question to be taken seriously but d00d. Seriously.
For shame lad, what are you implying? Rolling Eyes I just happen to like that one. My late father would always wink at me whenever I would understand what he was trying to tell me for my own good, saying "That's me boy, carry on." and I've come to doing it with my lot. Wink
Shonen Bat

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:28 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Kouji wrote:

What the hell does age have anything to do with this? I'm 21 and I feel exactly the same way. And the scene in Yugioh GX it's NOT of a mature nature. It's not like they're watching Shinji over-hearing Misato and Asuka talking about each others' bodies in a hot spring with lots of sexual innuendo. This is Yugioh. It's not freaking NGE. For Christ's sake, they aren't even showing nipples. IT'S NOT ANY WORSE THAN A BARBIE DOLL. Or do you think Mattel should censor Barbie dolls now? And once again you don't know that the younger brother was traumatized here. The older brother saw the breasts that wasn't even showing anything and panicked and wouldn't let his younger brother see it anymore without even stopping to see what the younger brother's reaction was. Chances are the younger brother probably didn't even care and it could have gone completely over his head without him realizing what was going on. And what exactly did the older brother accomplish here? Did the older brother explain to the younger brother what was going on or why exactly he thought breasts were bad? It sure doesn't look like that way to me. But now if he told his brother not to look at it anymore without any explanation why the younger brother is probably going to be even more confused than before. Hiding these things from him does not prevent him from being a sick pervert. Not explaining properly what's right or wrong probably will. The BIBLE has far worse scenes than anything Yugioh GX does but that doesn't stop parents from reading it to their kids, does it?

Shonen Bat wrote:
[First, not to take Mohawk's side(And I'm not) but 21 isn't exactly "mature" yet. You're still a kid, Kouji, like me.
Mohawk52 wrote:
I couldn't have said it better myself. Wink

Shonen Bat wrote:
Anyway, back to the real dissucsion. Once again , you nail what I was saying. Yu-GI-Oh! GX is a show for young boys, NGE is for a mature audience. Do you really think even the sub of GX would have stuff like that? Besides it's not like Sho or Judai were masturbating while watching Alexis take a bath. The closest thing to that(Which is also really distant) was Sho going to the Obelisk Blue Dorm to confess his love to Alexis. THAT'S IT!! No sex, nothing, just a confession which didn't really happen. And about your bible reference Kouji, I agree. Parents take their kids to church where they hear about demons that'll torture you for eternity if you're bad. And they're told about a man who was nailed to a cross and whipped(I believe it was) until he died. You think THAT wouldn't scare or damage an eight year old's psyche but a frickin' BATH SCENE would?! If kids can stand to hear stuff like THAT, they're defineatly old enough to see a bath scene where they're NOT EVEN SHOWING THE BOOBS!
[quote=Mohawk52"] Are either of you Christian, and do either go to church? That might happen in some Christian churches but in all my years as a practising Catholic, I can not remember it being that horrendous. The world is a funny old place, and there are all kinds that make it that way, so you'll just have to understand that what you find completely within your standard of ethics is not necessarily what others will as well. You both find it acceptable. I don't watch Yu-Gi-Oh, and though my two still love Pokemon, they didn't care for Yu-Gi-Oh and so didn't watch it for long either. But if what you have described is correct, I wouldn't have reacted that way either. However, no matter. He did not accept it as being suitable for his little brother and that is the top and tail of it. To argue, rant, and rail against him, and call him stupid, and such for that, is seen by us "older folk" who are active parents, or guardians, as just children having a tantum because they don't like something and a sign that though one is of a certain age, one does not have what would be considered a mature attitude. In short a "school boy error". A mature person would, or should, have just said "to each their own" and moved on. But when you both are older yourselves, I hope this will become more clearer to you when a 15, or 21-year-old calls you "stupid" for your beliefs and feelings. Hopefully it is never your own children should you ever have them. Crying or Very sad

A guy who died on a cross. Demons who'll torture you for eternity if you're bad. HOW can you say that stuff ISN'T worse than a non-explict bath scene?!!! I'm gonna be an uncle soon and I'd rather have my nephews(or neices) watch that one scene which wasn't even a big deal in the story than tell them "If you're bad, you'll go to hell and be tortured for all eternity by a red guy named Satan." And besides, the guy who overreacted to that one scene FAILED his duties as an older brother. If I'm right, one duty to being a big sibling is to teach your little siblings about what goes on in the world, even about bath scenes which don't play an important part to a show about CARD GAMES!! No, what he did was instead of being the responsible big brother, instead he goes on to a movie forum, and complains about it instead of telling his brother what he saw. He FAILED as an older brother. My brother might not have been around a lot when I was younger, but I bet that when he was, he taught me about stuff that goes on in the world and you know why? Cause unlike abreeze(the guy I quoted eariler), my brother is responsible in his duties as an older brother and actually looks out for me. His baby bro. WITHOUT taking his dislike of anime to those big an extremes.

Why are you assuming that Kouji and I are saying you're stupid? We're not. We just think that scenes like that aren't a big deal. That doesn't mean we're not christians(I don't know what Kouji is). It just means we don't get worked up over scenes which don't even play an important part to the plot. Maybe if it showed Jaden and Syrus masturbating while actually WATCHING Alexis take a bath, THEN I'd think differently, but they didn't. And Y'know why? Cause it's a show for young boys, meaning teenagers and pre-teens not mature (meaning young adult to adult) audiences like Evangelion.

Shonen Bat wrote:
[One last question for Mohawk: Why are you always using the wink emoticon when responding to what I post? This better not have to do with the fact that I'm still a shota (young boy). So does that have a hidden meaning to it or do you just like that one the best? I don't expect this question to be taken seriously but d00d. Seriously.

Mohawk52 wrote:
For shame lad, what are you implying? Rolling Eyes I just happen to like that one. My late father would always wink at me whenever I would understand what he was trying to tell me for my own good, saying "That's me boy, carry on." and I've come to doing it with my lot. Wink

Okay, THAT one was my fault. Gomen Nasai. It just seemed to me like you were kinda, I dunno, hiting on me? Sorry 'bout that. I didn't mean it. And besides I never knew your father so it was hard for me to understand WHY you used that so much.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kouji

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:42 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Are either of you Christian, and do either go to church? That might happen in some Christian churches but in all my years as a practising Catholic, I can not remember it being that horrendous. The world is a funny old place, and there are all kinds that make it that way, so you'll just have to understand that what you find completely within your standard of ethics is not necessarily what others will as well. You both find it acceptable. I don't watch Yu-Gi-Oh, and though my two still love Pokemon, they didn't care for Yu-Gi-Oh and so didn't watch it for long either. But if what you have described is correct, I wouldn't have reacted that way either. However, no matter. He did not accept it as being suitable for his little brother and that is the top and tail of it. To argue, rant, and rail against him, and call him stupid, and such for that, is seen by us "older folk" who are active parents, or guardians, as just children having a tantum because they don't like something and a sign that though one is of a certain age, one does not have what would be considered a mature attitude. In short a "school boy error". A mature person would, or should, have just said "to each their own" and moved on. But when you both are older yourselves, I hope this will become more clearer to you when a 15, or 21-year-old calls you "stupid" for your beliefs and feelings. Hopefully it is never your own children should you ever have them. Crying or Very sad [/quote]I still fail to see why just because somebody is older that means they're somehow more right than somebody who's younger. My grandmother who's in her '70s told my cousin that God wouldn't bless her with children because she didn't go to church. Am I supposed to just sit back and say "to each their own" and let my grandmother damn my cousin to hell just because she's older? I was raised a Christian by my parents, went to church and was even baptized, but now I'm agnostic. I lost faith in religion a very long time ago. And the problem here is that this was not this child's parents or legal guardian telling them what they can or cannot watch. It was their older brother. That child's older brother had no right to tell his younger brother that he couldn't watch a cartoon just because he disagreed with its content. He could tell him that he didn't think he should be watching it and talk to his parents about it later, but to act like he's a parent somehow and forbid his brother from watching something he disagreed with is totally out of line.

What if his parents disagreed with him and thought it was perfectly ok for the child to watch it? What would the older brother do then? If the older brother went to his parents and explained the situation to them and then the older parents agreed to it, that'd be a different story, but the older brother was totally out of line here. If I was that kid, I'd be pissed if my older sibling came and butted in on what I was doing and told me what I could and couldn't watch without their parents' permission. Sure, if the older brother turned off the TV, went to his parents later and explained the situation to them and asked if it was ok and if they agreed, that might be a little different, but unless he had special permission from his parents, for the older brother to intervene and try to act like that child's parent or legal guardian seems totally out of line to me. And nobody was calling you stupid because you believe differently. I simply felt that the older brother was out of line to make a decision like that and that he was over-reacting to something that wasn't a big deal. And if I was a 54 year old adult and if some 15 year old or 21 year old kid felt like I was doing something wrong, I'd certainly would want them to tell me what they felt because I really don't want to become like my grandmother.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:57 pm Reply with quote
mrsatan wrote:
On the subject of Ninja Turtles, I stopped buying the DVDs once they started putting the episodes out of order. Stories no longer made any sense; characters showing up before they've been introduced, etc. I know many others that also became infuriated and gave up on TMNT because of this. Most recently, TMNT ended on a cliffhanger in the summer and 4Kids and Playmates made the "brilliant" decision to just skip the conclusion to the cliffhanger plus several other episodes and start a new "futuristic" storyline. This also enraged many fans.
I absolutely hate when shows are released out of order. While it may be news to the people that run 4Kids and other companies that put out children's shows out of order, kids are smart enough to notice. And it pisses them off.

When I was much younger and Card Captors (the chopped and edited version of Card Captor Sakura) was on TV, I noticed when they left out episodes. I also noticed when they showed them out of order. And I really noticed it when they put it out on tape.

I stopped watching the TMNT cartoon a while before all of this started though. I had been getting into it after a long hiatus from the turtles, because I liked the dark and serious tone of some of the early episodes. Then Shredder turned out to be Krang from the earlier series and I just couldn't watch another episode. Shredder reduced to a cheap alien. Ugh.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:02 pm Reply with quote
mrsatan wrote:
On the subject of Ninja Turtles, I stopped buying the DVDs once they started putting the episodes out of order. Stories no longer made any sense; characters showing up before they've been introduced, etc. I know many others that also became infuriated and gave up on TMNT because of this. Most recently, TMNT ended on a cliffhanger in the summer and 4Kids and Playmates made the "brilliant" decision to just skip the conclusion to the cliffhanger plus several other episodes and start a new "futuristic" storyline. This also enraged many fans.

You mean they aren't going to continue...i didn't even know that! I was like well when they finish the future crap we can start watchin them again.

Damn. That makes me sad. Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:28 am Reply with quote
Shonen Bat wrote:

A guy who died on a cross. Demons who'll torture you for eternity if you're bad. HOW can you say that stuff ISN'T worse than a non-explict bath scene?!!!
It's not so much as that he died on the cross, but why, and what happened three days later that is the whole foundation of what being a Christian is all about. Jesus sacrified himself in order to save us all, not in this world, but in the next. but I'll leave the sermons for Sunday, (oh yeah, it is Sunday. Smile )
Quote:
I'm gonna be an uncle soon
Congratulations! Smile
Quote:
and I'd rather have my nephews(or neices) watch that one scene which wasn't even a big deal in the story than tell them "If you're bad, you'll go to hell and be tortured for all eternity by a red guy named Satan."
"Cow and Chicken" Yeah I remember that.
Quote:
And besides, the guy who overreacted to that one scene FAILED his duties as an older brother. If I'm right, one duty to being a big sibling is to teach your little siblings about what goes on in the world, even about bath scenes which don't play an important part to a show about CARD GAMES!! No, what he did was instead of being the responsible big brother, instead he goes on to a movie forum, and complains about it instead of telling his brother what he saw. He FAILED as an older brother. My brother might not have been around a lot when I was younger, but I bet that when he was, he taught me about stuff that goes on in the world and you know why? Cause unlike abreeze(the guy I quoted eariler), my brother is responsible in his duties as an older brother and actually looks out for me. His baby bro. WITHOUT taking his dislike of anime to those big an extremes.
Wait, he was an irresponsible failure for being concerned about what his little brother was watching, but your brother was a responsible success by not being around a lot? Am I missing something here? Anime dazed

Quote:
Why are you assuming that Kouji and I are saying you're stupid? We're not.

I thank you. Smile
Quote:
We just think that scenes like that aren't a big deal. That doesn't mean we're not christians(I don't know what Kouji is). It just means we don't get worked up over scenes which don't even play an important part to the plot.
You see this is where your youth lets you down. You feel that scene is perfectly alright for anyone to see, which is your right, however, you think the rest of the world should feel the same, and will not tolerate anyone else for feeling differently from that, boisterously. This the same ethos, though in a different context, that terrorist groups use to justify their actions. Not that I'm calling you a terrorist, please don't missunderstand. Wink
The world is not so black and white, and that realisation means, though you might disagree fully with what "abreeze" is on about, you simply have to realise you are not him just as he is not you. and just be thankful that he isn't your brother to be butting his nose into your business and leave it it at that. To rail him for his feelings like that is futile as it isn't going to change his mind anyway, and just makes you look ignorant, immature, and intolerant. Sometimes it's best to remain silent and let people think your a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. Wink

My Dear Kuaji, I would guess your Grandmother thought that way, because her grandmother told her that when she was a child. The world was a much bigger place in those days, so many myths were known as undisputed fact. Like if you eat the seed of an apple, a tree will grow out of your body. You won't catch me eating apple seeds mate. Laughing However I use to eat the whole pear until I saw a documentary that showed the seeds are a good source of arsenic. Shocked
Shonen Bat

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:19 am Reply with quote
Shonen Bat wrote:

A guy who died on a cross. Demons who'll torture you for eternity if you're bad. HOW can you say that stuff ISN'T worse than a non-explict bath scene?!!!
[quote=Mohawk52]It's not so much as that he died on the cross, but why, and what happened three days later that is the whole foundation of what being a Christian is all about. Jesus sacrified himself in order to save us all, not in this world, but in the next.[/quote]

I know about that stuff. I just think that telling a young child stuff like that isn't a good thing. Especially if they're that young. When they're older? Go for it.

Quote:
I'm gonna be an uncle soon
Quote:
Congratulations! Smile

Thanks. My brother and sister in law are working on getting a house and once they do, they want to have kids then> I can't wait Smile.
Shonen Bat wrote:
tortured for all eternity by a red guy named Satan."

Mohawk52 wrote:
"Cow and Chicken" Yeah I remember that.

Well that wasn't exactly a Cow and Chicken reference but thanks for bringing back those memories.

Quote:
And besides, the guy who overreacted to that one scene FAILED his duties as an older brother. If I'm right, one duty to being a big sibling is to teach your little siblings about what goes on in the world, even about bath scenes which don't play an important part to a show about CARD GAMES!! No, what he did was instead of being the responsible big brother, instead he goes on to a movie forum, and complains about it instead of telling his brother what he saw. He FAILED as an older brother. My brother might not have been around a lot when I was younger, but I bet that when he was, he taught me about stuff that goes on in the world and you know why? Cause unlike abreeze(the guy I quoted eariler), my brother is responsible in his duties as an older brother and actually looks out for me. His baby bro. WITHOUT taking his dislike of anime to those big an extremes.
Quote:
Wait, he was an irresponsible failure for being concerned about what his little brother was watching, but your brother was a responsible success by not being around a lot? Am I missing something here? Anime dazed

Just like how I didn't know the whole story about why you use that wink emoticon so much, you don't know the whole story about my brother. Well I guess it's time to tell you guys the whole story. My brother wasn't around a lot becuase he lived with his mom(Who COULD be my step-mom) in Hawaii(We're half-siblings yet we're more like full siblings). He DID live in the state where I live but I think that was before I was born. My brother was 13 when I was born as well so when I was like 6 he was 19 going on 20. He might not have been around a lot during my early childhood but I bet when he was, he'd teach me about stuff that goes on in the world, he'd take care of me, and we'd play together. THAT'S where my older brother and that kid's older brother are different. So don't blame my brother becuase he lived with someone else. There was nothing I could do to get him to stay with us. I was a little child then and he was in High School. Besides, I said that kid's brother failed as an older brother becuase he didn't take the time to EXPLAIN that stuff to his younger sibling. If he had, that'd be different. But instead he went on to a website that people frequiently visit, went to the Yu-Gi-Oh! GX page. Went to the fourms and had a fit about it. Y'know I'm NOT even going to start up the whole bath scene thing again since I'm getting MIGHTY tired of repeating myself over and over.

Quote:
Why are you assuming that Kouji and I are saying you're stupid? We're not.

Mohawk52 wrote:
I thank you. Smile

Well after what you said about my bro. Saying that he's irresponsible since he wasn't around a lot, I MIGHT take what I said back. Tell me, why do you think my brother wasn't around a lot? Did it ever cross your mind that when we were younger, my brother DID want to spend more time with me, his little bro?
Well I'll tell you: He DID! He even told me he did! Just 'cause he wasn't around a lot doesn't mean he never cared about me. In fact, he's not a fan of anime, but when I need help with stuff like that, he DOES help me. Do you think a big brother who never cared about his little brother would do something like that for him? Even though he doesn't like what his younger sibling does like? My brother DOES care about me. He looks out for me, he helps me, and he might even be protective of me. Still think my brother doesn't care?
Quote:
We just think that scenes like that aren't a big deal. That doesn't mean we're not christians(I don't know what Kouji is). It just means we don't get worked up over scenes which don't even play an important part to the plot.
You see this is where your youth lets you down. You feel that scene is perfectly alright for anyone to see, which is your right, however, you think the rest of the world should feel the same, and will not tolerate anyone else for feeling differently from that, boisterously. This the same ethos, though in a different context, that terrorist groups use to justify their actions.[/quote]

In The words of LittleKuriboh and Yu-GI-oh The Abridged series: I'm an American...IN AMERICA!" Why do you think i'm trying to make the world think like me? I'm not. All I'm saying is that it's nothing to get worked up over. And don't compare me to a terrorist. I haven't killed anyone.

EDIT:I've noticed that you REALLY like to put words in peoples' mouths. You assume that Kouji and I said you're stupid just becuase we said that scene wasn't a big deal. You assume I want everyone else to think like me just becuase I don't think that scene was a big deal. I KNOW not everyone will agree with me, but I DO wish that people would tone down the censorship. I mean, we can't even show a bath scene on a children's show but there can be stereotypes on those shows. Just look at Camp Lazlo. One of the chracters is an elephant... WHO TALKS LIKE A HINDU! American Dragon Jake Long: A show about some Asian kid who pretends to be ghetto(wigger) and can turn into(the ugilest)dragon I've ever seen. Stereotype. Yet on shows like South Park and Drawn Together, it's BAD! And people sue. Yet I haven't heard of anyone suing Camp Lazlo or American Dragon so why the shows for adults? THAT'S why I think censorship and that kinda stuff is dumb.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:40 pm Reply with quote
I don't wish ill on the people running 4Kids (well, maybe just a little), but what they have done with some of the properties they've licensed is really just pathetic. The incredible awfulness of the One Piece dub has been stressed and overstressed all over the internet, so I don't think I need to go over that.

The 4Kids dub of Shaman King was my first anime ever. I was lucky enough to be too lazy to turn off the TV when the first episode was on, and immediately fell in love with the charicaturistic art style and unique personalities. Soon afterward, I started reading the manga and started noticing the tweaks. The addition of towels, editing the signs so they were in English, stuff like that. All right, I thought, after all, they're aiming for a younger audience than me, but I'm sure I can go buy a Japanese sub version somewhere, because I really love this story. But no, they CANCEL the uncut version. I was all prepared to give them my money, never mind the fact that the dub killed most of the subtleties of the original. Show the kiddy grade versions on TV if you must, but let the fans like myself who DON'T download because it's WRONG enjoy the anime YOU BOUGHT the way it was meant to be seen.

And then there's the censoring in itself. Some of it makes sense, like adding towels, taking out Ren's infamous "you bastard!", but other parts make you go "What the heck?" I will use as my example the Taos, who probably suffered the worst at the hands of the dub monster. Their voice acting was simply painful. "Oh, look, this Chinese kid's rich and he wears a school uniform, let's give him a British accent and have him use British slang!" Shouldn't they have saved that for the kid who was actually British? En became Ren's uncle because it's apparently innapropriate for a child to want to kill their father. Yet it's all right for that uncle to kill the kid's father in order to usurp the family? And later on in the series, it seems to be perfectly okay for Hao to attack Mikihisa, HIS father. But oh, he's a baddie anyway. Ren's supposed to be one of the good guys, so he can't do anything violent. Eesh. They should have just spelled Jun with an e and got it over with. When you think about some of the stuff they left in (the soul-eating, the Catholic priest child molester, Faust nearly killing Manta, the X-Laws in general) and look at what they took out (the strained relationships of the Tao family, the archangels, Jun-chan's spine), it really seems very silly. I think that's what bothers me the most about the whole censorship thing.

Anyway, all right if you want to dumb down a perfectly good anime to the requests of the parents; I just won't watch it. But when you don't release uncut versions to the fans who want them and will gladly pay for them, it's no wonder that you lose money making those kinds of decisions.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Shonen Bat wrote:
"If you're bad, you'll go to hell and be tortured for all eternity by a red guy named Satan."

Totally off topic, but I heard on a documentary on Christianity on the Discovery channel that some believe that the Devil is an obese fuzzy blue monster that lives in the "frigid cold" center of the Earth, personally biting the heads off of sinners and traitors. (Sorry for barging in and saying something completely unrelated to the subject at hand, but that sentence just reminded me of it and I thought it was fascinating. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop )
FlamingPinecone

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:12 pm Reply with quote
okay everyone getting on to me for my uncut dvd comments, consider this: if the sales for the cut anime they release isn't making any money what makes you think spending more money to release uncut anime would make them anymore money? at the end of the day 4kids is about money. period.

they've put fourth some effort to release uncut dvd's at your request(even if they weren't very well advertised) and it failed. they probably aren't going to try again, you had your shot to send 4kids a message, ya'll didn't take it so they'll continue to effortlessly butcher anime and make money, the formula that works.

game over.

fawhoooosh!
Kouji

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:

You see this is where your youth lets you down. You feel that scene is perfectly alright for anyone to see, which is your right, however, you think the rest of the world should feel the same, and will not tolerate anyone else for feeling differently from that, boisterously. This the same ethos, though in a different context, that terrorist groups use to justify their actions. Not that I'm calling you a terrorist, please don't missunderstand. Wink
Ok, so according to you, we don't have the right to expect other people to feel the same as we do, yet somehow you expect us to feel the same as you about this? You do realize that by what you're saying we should agree with what you say even though you just said the world isn't black and white and not everybody isn't going to agree with you yet somehow when we disagree with you our ethos is suddenly on par with a terrorist group's yet when you disagree with us everything is all okey dokey? You do realize that by telling us to be silent about this that you're telling us that we have to agree with you which is what you were just telling us we shouldn't expect you to do? Great job at being consistent with your argument here. What makes you so special that you think we should have to agree with your opinion yet you have the freedom to disagree with ours? And if this brother didn't want people to disagree with his opinion, he shouldn't have posted about it in a public forum for the whole world to see. If he doesn't want others to disagree with him, he should keep his big mouth shut instead of trying to push his belief that that scene is inappropriate onto others.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Shonen Bat

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Kouji wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

Ok, so according to you, we don't have the right to expect other people to feel the same as we do, yet somehow you expect us to feel the same as you about this? You do realize that by what you're saying we should agree with what you say even though you just said the world isn't black and white and not everybody isn't going to agree with you yet somehow when we disagree with you our ethos is suddenly on par with a terrorist group's yet when you disagree with us everything is all okey dokey? You do realize that by telling us to be silent about this that you're telling us that we have to agree with you which is what you were just telling us we shouldn't expect you to do? Great job at being consistent with your argument here. What makes you so special that you think we should have to agree with your opinion yet you have the freedom to disagree with ours? And if this brother didn't want people to disagree with his opinion, he shouldn't have posted about it in a public forum for the whole world to see. If he doesn't want others to disagree with him, he should keep his big mouth shut instead of trying to push his belief that that scene is inappropriate onto others.

And another thing. What gives you the right to say that little kid's brother is responsible when he didn't do jack SHIT except whine on a public forum? Yet you say MY brother wasn't responsible because he just so happened to have LIVED WITH HIS MOM?! HE WAS 13 THEN! THIR TEEN! Do you think he would've said "I don't want to live with you anymore. I'd rather live with my step mom, my dad, and my little brother."? No because my brother's not like that although you seem to think he is. He couldn't either 'cause he was still a kid himself. It's not that he didn't love me. I know he loves me with all his heart. Next time, keep your mouth shut and don't make assumptions of people's siblings unless you know the facts are true. Jerk. And just because Kouji and I are kids, you think our opinons don't matter? *Chuckles* Well okay Mr. Big Adult. I guess since we're dumb little kids, we should go back to the playground and hang out with the other kids whose opinions are worthless since we're SO DUMB! Really. Don't you have anything better to do than harass a 15 year old and 21 year old kid? Or are you one of those old people that hate young people? Shouldn't you be taking care of your OWN kid instead of arguing with the kids of somebody else?

EDIT: What you said about my brother REALLY pissed me off. I don't care what you think about me, what you say about me, or what you do to me. But when you say something like what you said about my B.B(Big Bro),about someone I care about, that's where I draw the line. What if I said I was glad your father was dead? How would that make you feel? Bad is what I'm guessing. I'm guessing you use that emoticon so much becuase you were close to your father. Well, I'm really close to my brother and he's the most important person in the world to me. I don't know what my life would be if he weren't around. If he weren't my sibling. And I don't want to start thinking about that. You owe me an apology for what you said about him. I apologized to you about the whole wink emoticon thing, now I think YOU owe ME an apology. And no wisecracks about how just 'cause I'm a kid and you're an adult that means you don't owe me one. You DO!

Last edited by Shonen Bat on Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:40 pm Reply with quote
FlamingPinecone wrote:
okay everyone getting on to me for my uncut dvd comments, consider this: if the sales for the cut anime they release isn't making any money what makes you think spending more money to release uncut anime would make them anymore money? at the end of the day 4kids is about money. period.

they've put fourth some effort to release uncut dvd's at your request(even if they weren't very well advertised) and it failed. they probably aren't going to try again, you had your shot to send 4kids a message, ya'll didn't take it so they'll continue to effortlessly butcher anime and make money, the formula that works.

game over.

fawhoooosh!

Well, the uncut versions WOULD make them money because people would actually want to buy them.

And this is exactly my point about the poor executive decisions. The uncut DVDs weren't well advertised when they should have been, so they didn't make as much money as expected, because the staff monkeys apparently assumed that anime fans are telepathic.

Isn't the whole point of this thread that 4Kids is LOSING money by butchering anime?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Riyousha

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:16 am Reply with quote
Wolverine Princess wrote:
Totally off topic, but I heard on a documentary on Christianity on the Discovery channel that some believe that the Devil is an obese fuzzy blue monster that lives in the "frigid cold" center of the Earth, personally biting the heads off of sinners and traitors.

O RLY?

I didn't know that some people believe Satan is a monster from the cold center of our planet.But those people who believe he's blue were mabey wrong. I know what he looks like because I have seen many images of him.

BTW, Wolverine Princess. Who's that wierd-looking guy on your avatar?

Please forgive me for going off-topic. Embarassed

Murasakisuishou wrote:
Isn't the whole point of this thread that 4Kids is LOSING money by butchering anime?

Yes. They should know better than to take good shows and then remove all the good stuff. They really need to start releasing uncut DVDs.

EDIT: I fixed a typo mistake.

Last edited by Riyousha on Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:10 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Shonen Bat

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:22 am Reply with quote
Kouji wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

Mohawk52, you've got to be the biggest hypocrite ever. I also still think you could be one of those old people who hate young people. And like what Kouji said, I can't believe that when we have an opinion different from yours, you say it's our "youth" talking and yet you try to push your opinion on two kids. One who's close to adulthood and another who's barely even begun to take his step into adulthood. What's even more unbelieveable is that this flame war between us and you was over a scene which WASN'T a big deal. The older brother who I quoted SHOULD'VE kept his mouth shut, went to his parents for THEIR insight on the situation, and asked the PARENTS what THEY thought. Instead, he thought "Hey I've got to be like my little brother's dad and make sure he doesn't watch this." He also stated in the beginning post that he DIDN'T, keyword: DIDN'T ask his brother if he wanted to see it. So what does he do? Go to a site that thousands of people visit and whine and moan about it. Yet you say MY brother is irresponsible and didn't care about me (And I still want an apology from earlier) becuase he couldn't be around all the time? So to you I guess for family to truly care about one another, they have to always live with each other. Then that'd mean...OH NO!! My aunt and uncle in Canada never loved me! My dead great uncle never loved me! My great aunts never loved me! My living great uncles never loved me! My goth cousin never loved me! My not racist grandma never loved me! Wow! I'm SOOOOO unloved Crying or Very sad . And my brother NEVER loved me either. Even though he's always looked out for me and tried to help me, even though he's helped me with anime stuff even though he can't stand anime, even though he called a friend of his to help me find a website where I can watch japanese Yu-Gi-Oh! episodes. Yeah. Those are DEFINITE signs of a big brother who doesn't care for his little brother. I bet you've never had a sibling, or one you were close to. Y'know sadly I don't have a picture of me or my brother. When we were younger(Although there MIGHT be one) and now. All I have are my drawings of him and me with each other when we were younger. Drawn from what I feel in my heart to be true.

And yes. This WAS supposed to be about 4Kid$ losing money. But Mohawk had to have a problem with me and Kouji just becuse we didn't think one scene was a big deal.

Day Two of this flame war is over. Can't WAIT for Day Three. Well I'm tired, it's 12:25 where I am, and I'm going to sleep. I need my energy in case of any more of these posts by Mohawk directed at me and Kouji.Hope this doesn't get this topic locked.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8