• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (Episodes 0-12 Streaming)

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seif

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:01 am Reply with quote
Chuee wrote:
Almost the entire appeal of FSN is in the dark and revealing twists that get revealed throughout the story and how they impact the characters and plot in interesting ways.

That is absolutely not true.
Nocorras

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:08 am Reply with quote
Seif wrote:
Chuee wrote:
Almost the entire appeal of FSN is in the dark and revealing twists that get revealed throughout the story and how they impact the characters and plot in interesting ways.

That is absolutely not true.

Except it is one of the main appeals.
championferret

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:44 am Reply with quote
Anyone reading this thread, don't judge the Fateverse by its fans, but if you find them as annoying as I do you can watch F/Z first purely out of spite. Laughing
Seif

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:32 am Reply with quote
@Nocorras,

Fate is not advertised for or is it particularly known for it's plot twists. There's some great ones to be had, for sure, but that's mostly appreciated in hindsight. It's a huge stretch to say that it one of it's main appeals.

Fate's wide appeal almost entirely revolve around the Servants. Who they are, how their powers work, their personality, the genderbending. That's what gets people into Fate. There's definitely a ton of other good stuff to draw people in, but I really don't see people getting into the Fate franchise because of it's plot twists.

That's just my impression, though. Who knows, I've been wrong before.

[Edit]: removed unnecessary quotes. Please read the Quoting Guidelines. Errinundra.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:58 am Reply with quote
Fate's appeal for me can be put in two words: Rin Tohsaka. Take her out and I wouldn't even watch it. Amazingly, UBW has managed to even improve upon the DEEN version. She deserved a better show than the DEEN TV series and, depending how this turns out, she may finally have what she warrants.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Seif

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:06 am Reply with quote
Well, Servants and Waifus.

-edit- spoiler[Rin is best girl, Sakura a shit. Saber is mai kingu.]
jl07045

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:04 am Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
Fate's appeal for me can be put in two words: Rin Tohsaka. Take her out and I wouldn't even watch it. Amazingly, UBW has managed to even improve upon the DEEN version. She deserved a better show than the DEEN TV series and, depending how this turns out, she may finally have what she warrants.

You'll have to wait for Heaven's Feel as well. Just like with Shirou, Ilya and Kirei significant parts of her characterization are divided through different routes and, as we know that there will be HF movie(s), it is clear that she won't be covered by UBW alone.

What appeals to me? The world, Nasu's knack for creating atmosphere, fights and the approach to the story and characters as jigsaw puzzles (when he's not lazy).
Key

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:15 am Reply with quote
Chuee wrote:

For some, maybe. But as others have pointed out, lots of people watch the animated version for entirely other reasons. (For instance, I also watch for Rin and for the Servants, not for the twists or the philosophizing.) And those reasons are not harmed at all by some spoilers.

Quote:
There's literally nothing to gain by watching Zero. Literally. Nothing. Every that happens in Zero that is meant to be known in FSN is revealed to you throughout the game in FSN.

And this may be where the problem lies. You're basing the worth of Zero on the game for FSN. Many of us are basing the worth of Zero on the anime adaptations. In this case, there seems to be to be a significant difference.

I've stated my reasons before for why I think Zero works well as a lead-in to the DEEN FSN; you can accept them or not, as I'm not going to belabor them anymore. I have also felt, in watching the UBW series adaptation, that Zero is a good set-up for it, too, as you get a much better sense going in of what's driving and motivating Rin and a little better sense of where Shirou and Saber are coming from.

Now, does that mean Zero has to be watched first? Hell, no; it works the other way around, too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Errinundra

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Yeah. Seif and Key are right: the servants are cool. In particular, their relationships with their masters can be fascinating.

An example is the contrast between how Tokiomi Toshaka and Rin Tohsaka initially respond to their summoned Archer. Each was confronted with a condescending, upstart servant. Knowing Tokiomi's subservient (pun intended) approach makes Rin's episode 00 performance both more poignant and more satisfying. Go, Rin.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Dub Script, did HAVE to be a direct translation from the original script? "The Archer class really IS made up of Archers!" just sounds dumb when you hear it in your own language.

Other than that, I really enjoyed the dub, the standouts being Caster, Assassin, and Shinji Matou. So, even if anyone sounded better in Japanese (which is all subjective anyway), I'm not missing anything.

Besides, this show stops being good around here, right guys? Guys?
...I think I'll leave now. Arrow
Panoptican

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Why is a review from March a featured article in August?
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Panoptican wrote:
Why is a review from March a featured article in August?

Because
Quote:
Nick Creamer's original review of the first 12 episodes of Fate/stay night is updated with an in-depth look at the new bluray box set, a review of the English dub and some new insight from included interviews.
Tylerr

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:22 pm Reply with quote
the majority of this season was almost an exact retelling of the old 2006 anime (first episodes of it anyway)

It was better looking though.
RaylenCypher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Loved the dub, the cast grew on me.
Videogamep

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:09 pm Reply with quote
It's too bad they didn't keep Liam O'Brien as Archer; he really nailed that role in the 2006 anime. At least his replacement did a pretty good job.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 11