• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sound! Euphonium (TV + movies + OAV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TRNielson

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8:

Loved this episode from start to finish. Knew going on that the Kumiko/Hazuki/Suichi love triangle was gonna be relevant this episode. Luckily, it wasn't the main theme as we instead got more emphasis on Kumiko and Kousaka's relationship.

The mountain hike with Kousaka was absolutely well done. I couldn't stop grinning the entire time.

Calling it right now: Even if Kumiko x Kousaka doesn't happen, it's obvious Kumiko is, at least, bi-sexual. Her reply to when Kousaka said she enjoys the pain from walking in heels was on point. I couldn't stop laughing. Then we almost got that much wanted kiss scene when Kousaka ran her finger down Kumiko's face to her lips. Was praying that she just decided to go all or nothing and go for the kiss. Sadly, didn't happen this episode.

After the intense emotional ride the last episode was, it was nice to see this one focus more on positive emotions versus negative.

However, Hazuki getting turned down was heartbreaking. She tried taking it so well at the beginning, but when the tears started flowing after she ran into Midori, I felt absolutely terrible for her. Also felt bad for Goto when female tuba player (can't remember her name) started telling everyone she and Goto weren't dating. Right in front of him, too. That's depressing.

Also, it's not a Sound Euphonium episode without giving props to the artwork. The brief moment of the lights reflecting off the water at the start of the festival were astounding. It's one thing to see this type of top quality animation in a movie but to consistently see it in a television show is mind blowing.

All in all, another fantastic episode. I'm gonna be so sad when this show ends in a few weeks.
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 4:18 pm Reply with quote
TRNielson wrote:
Also felt bad for Goto when female tuba player (can't remember her name) started telling everyone she and Goto weren't dating. Right in front of him, too. That's depressing.

I'm guessing he was still pretty upset given his nondescript reaction to seeing her in that lovely yukata. Still we saw them later at one of the festival stalls, so I doubt they'll be splitting any time soon.

And please, can't there be someone for poor Asuka? After Reina, she's definitely the most beautiful girl in the band, yet she always seems so lonely. Having a relationship with a euphonium is cute and enables all sorts of innuendo, but a human would be a lot more rewarding.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
As for Hazuki, I don't think it was surprising that she was rejected. Shuuchi never showed signs of feelings for her so the rejection should of been obvious.

Shikiari wrote:
As for Hazuki, I really feel sorry for her but I never felt that Shūichi had any feelings towards her in the first place.

I think the general belief is that a guy will go out with any girl that asks. Even if they don't know the girl/have no feelings for her, perhaps that will change if they date. So the real reason Hazuki didn't stand a chance is because Shuichi likes some one else.

Reina doesn't want to be normal and she's certainly proved that she's a wierd one. On the surface it was all fairly yuri-rific but there were some hints to the contrary. Reina doesn't seem to buy that Kumiko isn't worried about Shuichi and her comment about prefering the older shrine reinforces the idea she's hot for teacher.

yuna49 wrote:
I'm guessing he was still pretty upset given his nondescript reaction to seeing her in that lovely yukata.

Nah, that's just how he is. He's a man of few words, but those few words are sincere. Tubas are heavy.

Also I'm assuming Midori's sister's real name is Amber.
Shikiari

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 6:48 pm Reply with quote
TRNielson wrote:
Then we almost got that much wanted kiss scene when Kousaka ran her finger down Kumiko's face to her lips...

Damn that Kōsaka for teasing us.

Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 8:11 pm Reply with quote
That was a great eppie. Y'all have pretty much covered the high points so I don't have much to say. I did feel for Hazuki, though. I hope she finds a fella that will be in to her.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 9:23 pm Reply with quote
I'm really happy that they didn't drag out Hazuki's confession to Shuichi. Also, it was nice to finally see Kumiko and Reina actually spending a considerable amount of time together instead of just a few words in passing.

I love Reina's sense of fashion, she really looked quite pretty in that dress and shoes. I always love seeing how characters dress when they're either not in school or working.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 1:32 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Reina doesn't want to be normal and she's certainly proved that she's a wierd one. On the surface it was all fairly yuri-rific but there were some hints to the contrary. Reina doesn't seem to buy that Kumiko isn't worried about Shuichi and her comment about prefering the older shrine reinforces the idea she's hot for teacher.

I think that this might be a good interpretation, she may well be in a "phase" where she is stuck between wanting to be more adult and thus has an attraction to an older man. But I think it may also go that her feelings of not fitting the norm has given her so attraction to Kumiko, there was undoubtedly romantic things going on there.

And thinking of Kumiko, it feels like she has been largely uninterested in romance but debated over whether to follow through with going on the date with him. But many of her comments later do seem to greatly imply she has the hots for Reina, her comments on her beauty alone enough. It has been slow, but I would say that Kumiko has become attached to Reina's..... I think the word is passion. And getting returned interest in her own personality, has at least gotten her interested. Even if Reina might have other thoughts, with Kumiko being the main character I would think there is something with the presentation "spoiler[At that moment, I felt like I wouldn't mind losing my life]."

This all could be just going through phases in growing up and finding your place, or your sound. Overall this is also about mixing your sound with someone else. Actually, I don't want to even fall into going into "yuri fan" mode, yuri tends to have its own tones of secrets, blushing, flowers, and one girl taking the lead as the other either denies it or acts sort of tsundere. This felt more like two personalities meshing, and not in the usual way.
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 7:31 am Reply with quote
Westerners look at scenes like the one between Kumiko and Reina with "yuri-goggles," but Japan has a tradition of stories about strong emotional relationships between adolescent girls that are not necessarily sexual. This "Class-S" genre dates back to the early twentieth century. From the Wikipedia page:
Quote:
This type of romance was typically seen as fleeting and more of a phase in growing up rather than true homosexual behavior; as long as these relationships remained confined to adolescence they were regarded as normal, even spiritual. These relationships were common, and it has been proposed that eight out of ten schoolgirls had Class S relationships.

Another good example appears in the first episode of Mouryou no Hako. Like in Euphonium, the more insecure girl is attracted by the other's iconoclasm and strong sense of self.
meiam

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Great episode, but I kinda wish it was less Shuichi focus. It was pretty obvious that Kumiko didn't care for him and the moment with them together help further establish her character, so that was good. But the moments between him and tuba girl feel like wasted time, as far as I can remember they haven't even really exchanged word outside of when she bumbed into him, so it's hard to get excited that there going together on a date, when you pretty much know nothing will come of it. What was Shuichi going do to, the entire list of stuff he know about her is probably: her name (maybe not even all of it), she play tuba and she's friend with Kumiko. I'm not opposed to the pairing, just wish if there going to try to do something with it they should spend more time on it or just have it mostly occur off screen, so you could have like Kumiko and Reina talking in the foreground and you'd see Shuichi and tuba girl talking in the background.
TRNielson

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 2:05 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Great episode, but I kinda wish it was less Shuichi focus. It was pretty obvious that Kumiko didn't care for him and the moment with them together help further establish her character, so that was good. But the moments between him and tuba girl feel like wasted time, as far as I can remember they haven't even really exchanged word outside of when she bumbed into him, so it's hard to get excited that there going together on a date, when you pretty much know nothing will come of it. What was Shuichi going do to, the entire list of stuff he know about her is probably: her name (maybe not even all of it), she play tuba and she's friend with Kumiko. I'm not opposed to the pairing, just wish if there going to try to do something with it they should spend more time on it or just have it mostly occur off screen, so you could have like Kumiko and Reina talking in the foreground and you'd see Shuichi and tuba girl talking in the background.

It didn't feel like Hazuki and Shuichi took up that much time. If anything, I feel like this is gonna have some impact on the story later. Shuichi is obviously trying to get with Kumiko, Kumiko has no interest in him. At all. And everyone else is thinking that Shuichi and Kumiko wanna get together. It doesn't look like it's gonna come between Kumiko and Hazuki, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the repercussions playing a role in the next few episodes.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 5:53 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Westerners look at scenes like the one between Kumiko and Reina with "yuri-goggles,"

This seems to be a more recent development. It always used to be that it was expected for girls to have strong emotionally involved friendships with each other while boys were expected to have a more distant relationship with other boys. Should two guys show the kind of intimacy two girls showed they'd be mocked as being gay. Men were expected to shake hands, not hug.

These days the idea of the "bromance" is much more accepted. Men can hug and say they love each other and no one will read too deeply into it. But now it seems that girls can't be close friends without being seen as lesbians.

meiam wrote:
It was pretty obvious that Kumiko didn't care for him

TRNielson wrote:
Kumiko has no interest in him. At all.

I definitely don't think that's the case. In the first place she was upset with him because he called her ugly. If she didn't care why did that bother her so much? As I pointed out prior despite her attitude towards him, she still hangs out with him and didn't try to find another seat on the bus.

When it comes to this episode when he asks her out Kumiko, who we know is a bit dense, doesn't quite get the implication at first but after he leaves then it dawns on her and she starts freaking out. If she felt nothing for him, it wouldn't be an issue. She could just turn him down and happily pass him off to Hazuki. She imagines what Midori and Hazuki's reaction would be if she accepted his invitation... Which means she actually had considered accepting his invitation.

Again she is unable to turn him down outright and makes up an excuse for why she can't go with him. She tells him to go talk with Hazuki and when they walk away Kumiko tightens her grip on Reina's arm, a clear sign she's bothered by it. When she spaces out on the mountain, Reina, who has shown that she's quite perceptive, asks if Kumiko is worried about Shuichi. Kumiko denies it, of course, but Reina doesn't seem entirely convinced.

So I wouldn't be so quick to write off the idea that Kumiko might have feelings for Shuichi.

On another note, I found it sweet that despite their supposedly antagonistic relationship, Natsuki was hanging out with that Koari fangirl during the festival.
meiam

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 7:50 pm Reply with quote
I don't think yuri google apply at all when this happen

You'd need to be incredibly dense if someone does that to you and you honestly think to yourself "yup were just good friend", no matter your and there gender. I'm no expert on girl friendship, but I doubt that ever happen. Add to that the "you like pain? Man that's hot" and "I wish this moment never end" and the writer would need to do some amazing gymnastic to pull a "no homo" after that. I'm just glad they committed to one rather than staying in the middle with just teasing.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Most of that was just teasing, though. At least so far as I saw it, particularly comments like "that's kinda hot" and "don't you understand my love?" Extremely flirty, sure, but platonic friends can have playful banter like that.

Kumiko thinking Reina looks good isn't particularly telling either. It's the truth, after all. An apple is an apple. She has the exact same reaction to seeing the city lights so unless she wants to bang the city too...

Shows like this just never commit to having actual yuri in it. If that was the intent it would have been advertised as yuri from the very beginning.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 8:13 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
...and the writer would need to do some amazing gymnastic to pull a "no homo" after that.

This is perhaps not the most elegant phrasing imaginable...

...but it did make me chuckle.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
I definitely don't think that's the case. In the first place she was upset with him because he called her ugly. If she didn't care why did that bother her so much? As I pointed out prior despite her attitude towards him, she still hangs out with him and didn't try to find another seat on the bus.

I think you have a point that if she did not care, she should not care, but I think one also has to take into consideration her priorities. She seemed to spend almost no time daydreaming about him, and more worrying about how her friends feel. I really don't put it much past him being someone to talk to about the drama that she has been a little pissed at for how he treated her previously.

Even if it does not actually equate to any kind of romance, her interest has been far higher in Reina as a person that she kept having on her mind than with Shuuichi where her tone seemed to always change to a mix been uninterested and ticked off. In general Kumiko feels like a lot of that romance stuff is just too much trouble for her, but there is at least some level of intimacy with Reina. Just friends or not, she seems more interested in a relationship with her than the guy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 22