• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
My Love Story (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 2:33 pm Reply with quote
The usual date in the park spoiler[minus Suna.
Guess he knew Yamato & Takeo would spend the whole day together.
Suna was acting weird.]

Still... it can be hard to figure Suna out.
He is still somewhat of a mystery..
Being devoted to spoiler[Yamato, Takeo (dense as he is) didn't figure out something was bothering Suna.
The whole situation was pretty sad..
It's hard to choose between best friend & girlfriend.]
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 4:24 pm Reply with quote
I'm a corpse now. This episode was so god damn adorable that it has just killed me. The bromance, as always, fighting to be the best thing in the show. In this case the drama, while a little coincidence, is played much more naturally and it reinforces beautifully not only their relationships (100% positivity can get a little tiring and unremarkable), but even with coming-of-age themes underneath it, with Takeo questioning about himself, his mother, growing up, fading away... This was gold. Where are there plush toys of Suna and Takeo to hug them with all my might?

(Also, props for making Takeo work in a gay bar without being insulting for them)
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 9:11 pm Reply with quote
I guess we know where Takeo gets his super human strength from now: his Mom. Carrying a pregnant woman into the delivery room when she herself was pregnant - impressive.

I wonder if Takeo is going to get an imouto?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 12:43 am Reply with quote
Episode 8

There was definitely a feeling that Suna was not okay, it also felt like Takeo was unwittingly actually take his mind off of something.

And spoiler[death flags are raised] for Suna's father, I can see it getting a bit emotional. And can bet Takeo is going to back up his bro, girlfriend is important but even she knows that the guy she loves would go to who needs him most.

Last edited by DuskyPredator on Thu May 28, 2015 6:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 5:46 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator, you don't have to use spoiler tags when discussing an episode of a show that has been broadcast. Check out the spoiler tag guidelines thread that's stickied in this forum. A post like yours becomes incredibly hard to read having to highlight 3,000 spoiler tags in a single message. Liberate yourself as a poster and us as readers and stop this pointless practise.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 6:02 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
DuskyPredator, you don't have to use spoiler tags when discussing an episode of a show that has been broadcast. Check out the spoiler tag guidelines thread that's stickied in this forum. A post like yours becomes incredibly hard to read having to highlight 3,000 spoiler tags in a single message. Liberate yourself as a poster and us as readers and stop this pointless practise.

Did it change recently? I have just stuck to what I have received in the past from being told things like to spoiler tag major parts of a new episode, and why I often number my posts.

I will now take it under consideration. It actually gets kind of annoying in having to go back and tag everything major that happened.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 6:16 am Reply with quote
Yes, this is a recent change and a very welcome one. You are correct in saying it was something enforced in the past (although it should never have been a thing) but saner heads have prevailed.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 9:06 am Reply with quote
With the "diet" the girlfriend feeds the big guy with, you would think that him doing sumo would be much more appropriate than doing judo.

The reason is that sugary confectionery/pastries are the quickest way to gain a lot of weight (as scientists have proven, more quick than eating high-fat foods). As a side effect, risks to get such deadly disease as diabetes would also dramatically raise, though.

I always get annoyed how it is an absolute cliche of all anime that if there is a need to depict a cute female character they must draw her with splayfoot.

I guarantee you that most women do not have that, and those who do have it, treat it, because it is medical condition. The fact that anime spreads this notion that it is supposedly "cute" is harmful and irresponsible towards many impressionable young females. Some go to great lengths to accommodate themselves to what is propagandised as attractive/cute in media, and in cases like this it could be unhealthy.
12skippy21

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Regarding your post MaxSouth I would not worry too much has if anime had a hint of reality we would see a lot more fat/obese characters, even in shows which are more slice of life focused. I will have to look into the Splayfoot thing, never noticed before.

All in all, this show is giving my diabetes, it took a steadfast diet to get over Kimi ni Todoke. Shows like this cannot be good for our psychological health in the long run as we will want characters as sweet as these to exist in real life.
Blarmb

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Given Takeo is 6'6" and weighs 260lbs, is extremely muscular and all of 16 (still growing!) his daily energy needs are probably around 4500 food calories per day, assuming he doesn't get any exercise.

Seriously plug his stats into any nutrition needs calculator and see what pops out. Then keep in mind those calculators are for people with typical body compositions and people with muscular builds need more. Dude has 6-Pack this means that he is hella lean.

Given that and all the steel beam lifting, little boy saving and fire-building-busting-into he does it's probably safe to say his maintenance is more like 5000-5500.

That's about two family-size packs of double-stuft Oreos for reference:

http://www.snackworks.com/products/product-detail.aspx?product=4400003325

Which are probably way more caloric than any of her home-baked treats. I don't think he's in too much trouble. Seriously. Dude could 2 large pizzas a day, and still be on a weight loss diet. That amounts of food a body that big need is just waaay out of scale with what most of us are used to.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:19 am Reply with quote
I love Takeo's mom! As a former wrestler herself, she's not one to mess with. Carrying another pregnant woman into the delivery room when she was in labor...whoa!

Just as hilariously amazing: Takeo's new job, and how utterly oblivious he is to its implications! (Not that he'd care much if he figured it out, I'd imagine, but it's funnier this way). Everyone points out how sweet the characters are, but the humorists behind the original manga have some bite.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9:

Cute episode. I liked the usual chemistry between Yamato and Takeo including their time of playing bowling. It's amusing how Takeo tries to show off in front of her with those poses lol.

And also, we see more of Suna's side of the story. It's nice to see Takeo being there for his friend though especially when he needed the post. Shows that he is a truly good friend.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:31 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Happy birthday Yamato!]
Those two were having a really nice lovey-dovey time ^^
It was really really sweet watching them together.
They were so happy that is was impossible not to smile with them.
Takeo can be blunt sometimes, but he's lucky to have such a great girlfriend & friend.
Good thing spoiler[everything turned out fine.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:29 am Reply with quote
I like how Takeo's shirt kept getting different words for his response. There was absolutely no question that Takeo would go to Suna, and Yamato knows that of course he has to go, even if she did look a bit let down by it. But even she can't get it off her mind.

Also kind of rare to see "Happy Birthday" sung in media due to copyright.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:14 pm Reply with quote
The one thing about this show that's been kind of bothering me is how Takeo doesn't address either Suna or Yamato by their first names despite the relationship he has with both of them. I'm guessing it's to show how polite Takeo is, but generally people in Japan would be on a first name basis with close friends or the person they're dating.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 11