• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:03 pm Reply with quote
DivinePlague wrote:
Suzaku won't die. we have to see his geass first. but it is will prolly be shown in eps 2 or 3 of the new season (if not in the "movie"). damn it's been a while since i've kept up on this. i miss it and hop it come before the half point of 00. oh well, nothing i ca ndo

I know. Which is why I'm sad. Sad

The bastard will live, I'm sure of it. The scriptwriters aren't so stupid as to sacrifice the third (or even second) most important character and Lelouch's foil just to satisfy my vengeful streak.

And I'm already hating on that V.V. despite him (her?) having about, I dunno, two or three lines in the anime at best. Don't de-unique my Pizza Hut girl! >.<

Westlo wrote:
While this thread is on the first page I'm wondering... did the second opening Kaidoku Funou really grow on anyone else? I've actually preferred it to Colors for the last few months...

Eh, not really. I can't even remember it anymore while "Colors" is still vaguely in my head sometimes.

By the way, am I right if I suppose that "Colors" was done by the same guys that did Eureka Seven's first OP?
Westlo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:13 am Reply with quote
Yeah Colors and Eureka Seven OP1 were both done by FLOW, I didn't like the Eureka Seven track period but Colors was a blast.
countchocula86

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:33 am Reply with quote
Wow. I just finished this series, and (besides absolutely needing the second season) Im impressed!! Definetly one of my top serieses. Of course, the mech battles alone were great and made the series awesome. But beyond that I really like all the characters, especially Leluche and how, well, twisted he is. And this was compounded even further by his utter devotion to Nunnaly and as well by seeing side by side, Suzaku.
My favourite character, though, is C.C. she's just purely awesome. Her commanding decisive attitude, her addiction to pizza, her assortment of cute outfits.

Perhaps its just me, but I saw a lot of similarities between this and Gundam Seed as well (obviously this is superior lol)

And as to the theme song discussion, I love Colors, I think its an amazing song. The second intro was good too, but personally I liked Colors alot better.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:57 pm Reply with quote
A friend and I can't see Pizza Hut without saying "support the rebellion."
Westlo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:15 am Reply with quote
Sequel confirmed in newtype, more info on ANN frontpage, here's a pic from newtype.

http://img471.imageshack.us/img471/1724/njewfrbl8.jpg
Jedi General

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:32 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
A friend and I can't see Pizza Hut without saying "support the rebellion."

Ha ha. While I don't say anything out loud normally, I always think of Code Geass whenever I see a Pizza Hut. Come to think of it, I haven't been "supporting the rebellion" lately. I've been ordering from Papa John's. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vial

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:03 am Reply with quote
So I just got done with a marathon run of all 50 episodes and I'm feeling a bit unsettled.

I guess my biggest gripe is that the character motivations were all over the map. This partly owed to the characters' already nebulous motives being buried under facades...But when this anime has its main character putting on such a mask, he starts spewing out additional philosophical/metaphysical prose suitable to that facade. It became impossible to keep this all straight. If they didn't lift Instrumentality from

Agh, if I were to type out all my questions, this would turn into an essay. So I guess I will focus on just one. Why did Lelouch and C.C. never tell anyone that brainwashing Euphemia was unintended? I understand that he feels guilty, but later when supposedly he's coming clean completely to Suzaku, he still insists on omitting that critical detail. I was waiting the entire series for him to break down in tears and confess this to someone(my money was on Kallen).

I suppose the reason I'm so irritated by this is that that episode(Bloodstained Euphie) was the most important in the series, the turning point. It pushed Lelouch over the moral event horizon and changed the tone of the entire series. An (anti?)deus ex machina like that comes very close to tickling my "bad writing" nerve. That the series seemed all too eager to sweep such an important foundation for the characters' development under the carpet and never talk about it again leaves me doubting whether what I just saw was "good."
Cam0

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:41 am Reply with quote
spoiler[Maybe Lelouch wanted Suzaku to have a motive to kill him so that he wouldn't hesitate or he just felt guilty and felt it was one and the same whether it was an accident or not. And didn't Lelouch sort of break down in the end when Nunnally touched him and found out the truth. I guess that's not the same thing.]

Yeah I agree that the episode was badly written. It was kind of typical Sunrise style of coincidence, but I still thought that it was a plot twist with a lot of impact.
jl07045

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:23 pm Reply with quote
As far as I remember, Lelouch never made excuses about his actions on principle. That definitely wasn't the only time. It was just his way of carrying the weight. He'd see confessing to Suzaku as trying to escape responsibility.

Also I don't know what you mean about the moral event horizon. He did that at latest when he killed Clovis. In the Euphinator incident he simply acted the way that was most beneficial for his goals once the initial shock had passed. What concerns killing Euphie herself, her Geass would mean that she wouldn't stop until all the Japanese were dead and killing her was again carrying the weight of what he considered to be his mistake. "I made her that way so I need to stop her".
Vial

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:56 am Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:
What concerns killing Euphie herself, her Geass would mean that she wouldn't stop until all the Japanese were dead and killing her was again carrying the weight of what he considered to be his mistake. "I made her that way so I need to stop her".

He could have abducted her and waited for the cure to present itself.

Moral Event Horizon is a TV tropes thing, an analogy to black holes. Simply , Event Horizon = point of no return. Moral Event Horizon = It is believed(by self, by others) that a character has done something so horrible that there is no atoning for it...no going back.

I still can't make up my mind about this one. I've read up a bunch of other analyses and reviews of the anime...some of the things that bothered other reviewers(like the omnipresent pizza advertising) I found delightful, and vise versa.

Another problem; I guess I need to confess to being a shipper...Tteiuka, I like the development of relationships among characters both major and minor, both romantic and familial, both unrequited and returned, as long as it's in some way consummated. While it was wrenching to see what was probably my favorite character in the series go, I still found Rolo's death in this way immensely satisfying. It's probably the only time in the entire series that Lelouche sincerely got closer to someone and I believe he genuinely cared for him in the end. Though I think Rolo made it clear that weather or not Lelouche really cared for him was besides the point. Through their (imagined?) relationship, he was able to overcome the dehumanizing isolation that seems to always accompany Geass users.「あの想い出のおかげでようやく僕は人間になれた!」

But aside from this and Ogi/Villette, the series seemed to delight in undermining, abandoning, or fizzling out any meaningful relationships between any of the characters, staggering when you consider how large the cast had swollen to by the end and that the series ran for 50 episodes.

Still, I'm torn between dismissing this as an awful awful anime and declaring it my favorite series ever.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:19 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Agh, if I were to type out all my questions, this would turn into an essay. So I guess I will focus on just one. Why did Lelouch and C.C. never tell anyone that brainwashing Euphemia was unintended?

Yeah, he should say "Sorry Suzaku, I ordered your girlfriend to kill all the Japans by accident and I had to kill her before she achieves her goal, does it make it easier for you?" Rolling Eyes

Seriously? What would be the point of telling it to Suzaku?
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Lelouch is intelligent enough to know it's not just pointless as Aylinn said, but he also believes that he deserves the punishment even though he didn't wish for this occurrence. It means he has feelings, that he cares about what happened. Had he tried to excuse himself, then I'd question whether he really cared.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:57 am Reply with quote
And the point would be?

Besides, I don't see a problem, Lelouch said that he unintentionally geassed Euphie to C.C., that's why she knew it. I suppose, he didn't tell it to Suzaku, because it wouldn't change the outcome of the Euphinator incident and that he killed her. In the big picture, it didn't matter whether he intended it or not.
SaiyanYasha

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:41 pm Reply with quote
I have one thing to say about this series. Nice! Very Happy It's got great characters the story of it's really impressive i love the mecha scenes just as amazing in most of the sci fi animes I've seen a couple of times. This is really something. If i had to chose the best character in this, it would have to be Gino. Like his appearance. He shows gratitude a lot and he really makes Quatre from Gundam wing Look jealous of his blonde hair and his friendly apperance he never had even durring endless waltz.
PikaMadness

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:02 am Reply with quote
I really really really LOVE this series. THE ENDING lol. Sooooooooooooooo clever. I didn't like how spoiler[ Lelouch died] but the ending really made up for that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 29 of 30