• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Sols Streaming/Crowdfunding Service to Close on May 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:11 am Reply with quote
The most ironic thing is that the only three shows they managed to fund were Creami Mami, Dear Brother and Black Jack. The only three they had that had already been fansubbed.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:15 am Reply with quote
Guess I'll have to buy the Dear Brother sets while I still can.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:29 am Reply with quote
Too bad. I admired the idea of trying to get older series available, but as it turned out little on offer interested me very much. A lot of it seemed not very remarkable and often very childish, which is dodgy proposition to keep adult attention for the long haul.

I did discover Dear Brother and Dororo (glad to hear something's in the offing for the latter), so I was personally enriched a little bit for it.

Thanks for trying!

DmonHiro wrote:
The most ironic thing is that the only three shows they managed to fund were Creami Mami, Dear Brother and Black Jack. The only three they had that had already been fansubbed.

I don't think that the shows with fanbases built by fansubs got the most interest is ironic at all.
Adamanto

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:36 am Reply with quote
What really got me was how the fully fansubbed Creamy Mami got funded in its entirety, yet the completely unsubbed sequel Pastel Yumi couldn't even get a single set fully supported. These two shows are very similar and should appeal to the exact same fanbase, so how come the interest in discovering an unseen followup to a favorite show was so low?
I really don't get it.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:38 am Reply with quote
Dude, I hope that in the next month there's a miraculous event that keeps them on the web because their aim, however niche it might be, is something that can appeal to a lot of fans: Legal boxsets of older anime series.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:44 am Reply with quote
It's ironic because the only shows funded were the ones who were already available to fans.

Kadmos1, I'm sorry, but their aim does not appeal to a lot of fans, as this shows. Very few people are interested in old shows like these.
yasako

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:51 am Reply with quote
I'm not trying to start arguments in any way, but I feel like there were a lot of problems going on with this project from the start.

I never saw advertisements for Anime Sols, or any of its projects, on any web site--maybe I wasn't going to the right sites, but aside from a few articles here and there on anime news sites, I didn't hear much about them at all, or their projects. Even a few banners here and there about funding projects, I think, would have gotten them a few extra dollars. I know, that costs money, though. : / And if there were banners and ads around, please disregard this entire paragraph.

I truly appreciate what they did, and the projects that they worked on, but as a backer of Dear Brother, I was very disappointed in lack of communication from Anime Sols. Months would go by with nothing on their twitter or Facebook about the progress of their backed projects. Dear Brother was already subbed and on their web site, and I know there had to be some back and forth with quality checks, proofing DVD's, etc, but going for almost a year without so much as a "this is where we are in the process, thanks for your support" can really make you wonder if you're ever going to get your investment back. That would discourage me from backing another project. Maybe it did the same for others.

So I guess what I'm getting at from all of this is that communication from a company is also key, and it was something they lacked with both potential backers as well as their current ones.

Not knowing that something exists in the first place will earn you no money, but not having a relationship with your "customers" can be just as bad.

Again, not trying to start an argument. That's just my two cents.

Also I feel like there were not very many employees there. Maybe one or two more would have helped. Anime dazed
nadir-seen-fire

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:53 am Reply with quote
They also managed to get 2 sets for Black Jack funded, but as far as I know (as someone who pledged for both), they haven't even tried to get a third set funded.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:55 am Reply with quote
yasako, I do agree about the ads and communication parts because those would help give the site more attention.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:00 am Reply with quote
Adamanto wrote:
What really got me was how the fully fansubbed Creamy Mami got funded in its entirety, yet the completely unsubbed sequel Pastel Yumi couldn't even get a single set fully supported. These two shows are very similar and should appeal to the exact same fanbase, so how come the interest in discovering an unseen followup to a favorite show was so low?
I really don't get it.

I saw Pastel Yumi as far too similar to Creamy Mami, only with a less striking opening and less interesting characters; in Mami the lead fights a dragon in the first episode!
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:46 am Reply with quote
A bit of a shame. I never got on the bandwagon for crowdfunding due to knowing little of it beyond the fact Anime Sols was a major presence for it and they released a few titles in physical format with Dear Brother, Creamy Mami and Black Jack. Maybe if the service was advertised more beyond word of tongue, I could have hopped onto it sooner.

Anyway, I was already intent on buying Dear Brother since I wanted to have a means of seeing the series for years thus I might as well get it while I can.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
valoon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:49 am Reply with quote
I still hope that's a bad joke D:
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:54 am Reply with quote
valoon wrote:
I still hope that's a bad joke D:

No it's not, read the other people comments.

But back on topic, I'm not surprised by this news. The titles that Anime sols picked up are no way would appeal to a wide audience and they're old school so this was expected. I'm very sorry to hear this sad new. I guess it couldn't be help. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:28 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
It's ironic because the only shows funded were the ones who were already available to fans.

Kadmos1, I'm sorry, but their aim does not appeal to a lot of fans, as this shows. Very few people are interested in old shows like these.

It's not really a matter of their age, it's the content. What's been up for the last year or so was a bunch of kiddy-aimed stuff from the 60s and 70s, the type of thing most old school otaku wouldn't even bother with. We're not talking your Zambots, Aim for the Aces, Attack No.1s, or even Hikari no Densetsus here. The appeal was just too limited, even Tezuka shows.
GVman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:12 am Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
A lot of it seemed not very remarkable and often very childish, which is dodgy proposition to keep adult attention for the long haul.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
It's not really a matter of their age, it's the content. What's been up for the last year or so was a bunch of kiddy-aimed stuff from the 60s and 70s, the type of thing most old school otaku wouldn't even bother with.

And it's these attitudes that'll keep the old Tatsunoko shows from coming out in English.

You know, maybe they wouldn't have gotten a lot of these "kiddy" shows on there if it wasn't for the fact that people voted for them. I liked Hurricane Polymar (I even went as far as to pledge $100 to the show), but apparently most of the people that voted for it didn't. We could've got Star of the Giants, but no.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6