• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:04 pm Reply with quote
I'm enjoying this series more than I expected to - and I really enjoyed reading Rebecca's take on it. However, the second episode reminded me of how much I'd like to see a moratorium declared on "small chest vs. large chest" jokes in anime. They're not clever, they're not funny, they've been done to death, and I've yet to watch anime with anyone who's even cracked a smile at one. I find this chestnut to be every bit as uninspired as the groan-inducing "boys falling onto girls and inadvertently cupping their breasts and/or face-planting their crotches" trope. I don't have any moral objection to ecchi humor, but once something's been repeated ad nauseam, it ceases eliciting amusement from me.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Actually, that was Aiz who glimpsed him out of the corner of her eye, not Freya. You can tell that pretty clearly because the window was to Aiz's left and Freya's right in that scene and he was seen to the character's left.

Indeed, you are right, it was my mistake. What the scene did imply, however, is that the Hooded Woman (again, I mistakenly nicknamed her as Masked Woman) also saw Bell running through the marketplace, which I base my opinion on her action in the flashback (hurriedly left immediately after the scene focused on Aiz taking a glimpse of Bell) and her dialog ("he was pretty, he was lovely..." and then at the same time Aiz notices Bell: "he just happened to wander into my field of vision.")

Key wrote:
Besides, even without being familiar with the novel I thought it was pretty clear that Freya already knew about Bell. I also thought that she gave at least some indication in the anime that, as the goddess of beauty, messing with the familia of other gods was pretty much sport for her. (This point is made clearer in the novel.)

Really? I hadn't noticed the "mess with other Familias" part, but I did saw she was established as a somewhat mischievous character (joyfully commenting loudly on who she had all the fun she wanted with the men).

Key wrote:
Also, I thought the use of color in the aforementioned scene was an interesting artistic move.

Yes, I thought so, too. That the-Familia-member-are-in-the-dark-and-Bell-is-in-the-light was nice symbolism of what I assume is about each Familia's "side" on the moral compass.

Also, Bell was moving in that scene from the Hooded Woman's side (or away from her, if you will) to Aiz' (or towards her), which might imply that Bell will reject Hooded Woman in favor of Aiz. Or am I giving the show too much credit on this one?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
The only god I'm not liking/thrilled with so far in appearance is Ganesha - I'd have liked him to be less muscular. (Although I'm not an expert on Hindu beliefs; maybe I've just never seen a muscle-bound Ganesha image?)

Yeah, the pot belly is pretty iconic, being one of his Thousand Names, among other reasons. It's also too bad that he doesn't have the broken tusk, which would have been easy to render and not bother those who'd be put off by the esthetics of a belly. At least they sort of gave a nod to the snake around his neck. Oh well, I like the character anyway. Smile
OutCastLV

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:23 pm Reply with quote
So far this show has sold me Smile)

t has a really good potential !!!
Octorockandroll

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:02 pm Reply with quote
My thoughts while watching episode 2 and 3: Give him the knife, give him the knife, he needs the knife so give it to him, give him the knife, give him the knife, you're and idiot, just give him the knife, give him the knife, give him the knife, just give him the [expletive] knife.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:23 pm Reply with quote
^ Me too, but it turns out that giving him the knife was a bit more complicated than you'd think. Smile It still bugged me that she didn't even mention it earlier though. All that time spent locking her in the tunnel could have been used transferring the weapon and powering him up. It was like she really wanted it to be a surprise and giving it to him in a hurry would ruin the grand moment or something. oO
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:14 pm Reply with quote
I think her popularity might more make her the new Asuna.
Via_01

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
And it still is exciting – in part I think the background music helps with that, as it changes moods along with each scene and manages to be unobtrusive at the same time.

The background music certainly made the fight pretty exciting, but if I had to add another reason, it'd be the sound effects. The creature's roar, for example, already made it seem like a threat, which is great, because one thing I always notice from shows that use enemy creatures is that the sounds they make are pretty... 'normal', if you know what I mean. The same thing can be said about blades hitting armor and stuff like that: done right, it can make every hit feel much heavier.

It's pretty interesting how good sound direction can make a show 'feel' much better, and that's something I always have in mind when watching a show (for example, though I enjoy Blood Blockade Battlefront, I believe it really lacks on the sound effects department, reducing from my experience).
omegaproxy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Asuna who ?
partially

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Via_01 wrote:
All in all, these two episodes have been fun: Bell seems like a decent protagonist, and he actually fights as you'd expect from someone that is supposed to be low level, while Hestia has character, and her close relationship with Bell makes for a pleasant addition (none of that awkward friendship you see in many harem series).

Well that is really the problem with the story. It has very little relationship to the actual name. The name makes it sound like a full on harem story; the actual story although containing harem elements, generally keeps it pretty low key. The story at least for the first bunch of books IS about the relationship between Bell and Hestia. Other people are introduced, but Bell generally isn't running around picking up people in dungeons. It isn't SAO where every second Asuna is offscreen Kirito must find a new girl. Although it still happens to an extent. I think it would have been much better not using the name it did.
blessed

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Oh so Hestia broke the internet huh. Okay
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:00 am Reply with quote
partially wrote:
Well that is really the problem with the story. It has very little relationship to the actual name. The name makes it sound like a full on harem story; the actual story although containing harem elements, generally keeps it pretty low key. The story at least for the first bunch of books IS about the relationship between Bell and Hestia. Other people are introduced, but Bell generally isn't running around picking up people in dungeons. It isn't SAO where every second Asuna is offscreen Kirito must find a new girl. Although it still happens to an extent. I think it would have been much better not using the name it did.

Wow, a harem that's about the lead guy having his eyes for the lead girl? That's my kind of harem.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:29 am Reply with quote
Three episodes so far, so good. It's nice balance of action and comedy without over doing the fan service.

I've not read the manga, so I'm not able tell how much of the source material has been blown through so far. I'm glad animation staff isn't falling into the fan-service hole.

I'm worried little bit that show going run out and were going either be rushed at the end or cut off short. Hopefully not, this pretty good series, which serves 24 episode instead of 12 and if were good a "OVA" episode for Manga package deal.
Valhern

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:09 pm Reply with quote
"I, Hestia shall give you this knife, that I myself, Hestia, requested Hephaestus to do, and I, Hestia, will give it to you, because I honestly love you, that's precisely why I'll give you Hephaesteus' knife, the knife of Hephaestus, rather, our knife. Now, take the knife, the knife to kill the monster, because this knife can kill the monster."

I don't know you but that's what I heard most of the episode.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:33 pm Reply with quote
^
Yeah, that part of it was a little overdone.

Wrangler wrote:
I've not read the manga, so I'm not able tell how much of the source material has been blown through so far.

Novels, actually. These three episodes constituted the first novel, which ends with the scene in the inn's bedroom. It's definitely skipping some scenes and reordering others, but I think the way it's being done is pretty effective.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9