• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Heroic Legend of Arslan

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanfanel

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 7:58 am Reply with quote
Nyaomix wrote:
I like the Yamada stuff too. Wish the comparison had included more characters. They missed the other prince who I liked quite a lot.

That paperback edition is only up to book 7 at present. This link'll get you a look at all of the Yamada covers thus far.

Edit: misunderstood your post at first; I thought you were wanting to see more Yamada work.
KutovoiAnton

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 10:16 am Reply with quote
Nyaomix wrote:

I really feel one of Arakawa`s bigger mistakes was making Daryun look so asian. He feels better in the more european design, and I liked the seperation of races represented by Kamikura`s work to distinguish the time period.

It's because he reminded her of Romance of the Three Kingdoms' Zhao Yun. I wouldn't be surprised if he actually was based on him, though, since Tanaka is a big fan of Chinese history.
Nyaomix

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 9:29 pm Reply with quote
I can definitely see the love of chinese literature even in the ideas behind the story itself. Just kind of mentioning a view that since this story is about the middle east the OVA was nice in depicting it that way. Daryun definitely has a look similar to Zhao Yun. Thanks for the insight into the author and the artists reasoning.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 6:08 pm Reply with quote
I'd been meaning to start this show earlier, but never got around to doing so. Today, I decided to start and I'm really glad I did. I marathoned the first 6 episodes. I really like the middle-eastern style setting, the characters have grown on me, and the theme of recognizing flaws in traditional systems, of both yours and your enemies, are right up my ally. I'm enjoying it, but I do have some issues. First of all, the CGI has improved, but is still a little awkward. Then, as stated in the review, I'm still waiting for that 'pop' that really makes me fall in love with this show. I'd be fine if that doesn't happen, honestly, it's good enough as-is, but it would be nice.
Nyaomix

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 11:06 pm Reply with quote
The pop should be coming. This part of the story is really more of a prologue. Arslan will probably get out of the cave next episode and start doing something. They are not taking this show season by season, their plan seems to be that it will succeed and be able to take its time. It`s a long wonderful story and we have just started it.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Great to finally have Farangis show up. Smile

Nyaomix wrote:
The pop should be coming. This part of the story is really more of a prologue. Arslan will probably get out of the cave next episode and start doing something. They are not taking this show season by season, their plan seems to be that it will succeed and be able to take its time. It`s a long wonderful story and we have just started it.

Cool, I'm already really enjoying the show so I'm looking forward to something like that.

I'm definitely glad they're taking a shot at doing this that way (obviously it could be an issue if they don't get to continue but hopefully that won't be a problem and it'll be as successful as I hope), the show really has a lot of potential and I vaguely remember that I liked the last start in the first two old OVAs too.
Nyaomix

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Surprised the reviewer came up with Silver Mask being Kharlan`s supporter. They make it quite obvious especially in the sewers that Kharlan serves Silver Mask.

I have little doubt this series will stay popular. It is an extremely popular story in Japan.

Again Elam looks a lot better than in the OVA`s. He gets to show off fighting skills rather than throw fruit from his bosom at the guard.

Etoile has such a different role in this version. In the OVA Etoile was a much later character.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 8:13 am Reply with quote
Nyaomix wrote:
Etoile has such a different role in this version. In the OVA Etoile was a much later character.

I had forgotten he was in the OVA. Since he's not in the first novel at all, I was thinking he was an anime-original character.

I think they're making some really good judgments about how to arrange and present material here. For example, the novel opens by laying out the history of Pars in chronicle form. By skipping all that stuff, the anime benefits in two ways: first, audiences have little tolerance for "infodumping" these days, so losing it probably helped keep viewers; secondly, witholding all that backstory means that there's more mystery to what's going on in the present, and the info can be parceled out later for maximum effect.

Also, while Giev does perform a song for the queen in book 1, we don't get any lyrics there. The same scene in the anime simply has him recite the words of a poem that opens book 2. Good call, and I loved the VA's reading of it.
Nyaomix

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 8:28 am Reply with quote
Definitely an anime original role, and possibly Etoile will not end up being the original stories character.

I agree adding the poem was a great addition for Giev`s performance, though I disliked the flute since there was no flautist. It bothers me when they are showcasing the skill of an artist and they have to add other instruments rather than trust in the strength of the player.

Farangis definitely has the right feel. Hope she at least gets some armor later.

I`m definitely very into this version of the story. The changes that have been made so far are good ideas to me. And yes, they are parsing out the info better. Hope when the opening changes they pick something that fits a bit better. Uverworld`s song is a good song, but does not fit a historical fiction story about the middle east.
KutovoiAnton

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Nyaomix wrote:
Hope when the opening changes they pick something that fits a bit better. Uverworld`s song is a good song, but does not fit a historical fiction story about the middle east.

Yeah, I second that. I've read interview with Makoto Umezu (I think that was him. Can't recall for sure, but that was someone fom the main staff) and he said that they were aiming for Taiga drama feel for the show. Uverworld's song most definetely doesn't help it. Taiga dramas have an instrumental main theme as an opening.
Nyaomix

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 5:19 pm Reply with quote
This song fits a little better than the second opening picked for Akatsuki no Yona though. That first opening was exactly what was needed. Almost feels like they are afraid to go with the proper music in order to keep the younger crowd in. There will always be people playing all sorts of music.
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Nyaomix wrote:
This song fits a little better than the second opening picked for Akatsuki no Yona though.

To be fair, that's not a high bar. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ohoni

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 1:10 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I found it odd that in a society with such heavy religious beliefs, he's willing to disregard such an important part of them, albeit with a justification rooted in the faith.

Lol, such is the way of divine mandate. Religion is to keep the rabble in line, it's to bow to the whim of kings. Wink He is very devout, but only to the principle that God wants him to have what he wants.

It's basically the same principle as the Prosperity Gospel, really.

Quote:

I had forgotten he was in the OVA. Since he's not in the first novel at all, I was thinking he was an anime-original character.

Perhaps they are doing a bit like what SAO did, only moreso, working in elements from later books that might not have occurred to the author when he wrote the early books, but which could have done with some more seeding through the plot.
Nyaomix

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 2:32 am Reply with quote
The cool part about the larger role for Etoile is that in this case the writer is involved with the anime. So it is not as likely to be a case where the edit ruins things down the road. (not that the original creator is always the most capable of expanding their work.)
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 10:27 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Farangis's design resembles Lust from that series, but her personality is more like Riza Hawkeye's or Lan Fan's.

Yup, this is probably why I already like her so much. Hawkeye was one of my favorites in FMA and Lan Fan was great too, and ofcourse Lust had a great design (and off-topic was a good villain, plus Laura Bailey did such an amazing job with her).

Nyaomix wrote:
The cool part about the larger role for Etoile is that in this case the writer is involved with the anime. So it is not as likely to be a case where the edit ruins things down the road. (not that the original creator is always the most capable of expanding their work.)

Yeah.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 17