• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Lily James Accused of Racism for Writing 'Shinderera'

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to guess the vast majority of people who cared if this was racist were not Japanese.
Haipaa_Koneko

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:25 pm Reply with quote
So does this mean I'm allowed to rage every time I see a Japanese fashion shirt with poorly written English phrases on it? Or how about the badly stereotyped Caucasian characters in comics, anime, and tv shows? Oh wait I forgot I'm supposed to sit back and just say " Oh ha ha silly white people"

I'm sorry but it's really just silly.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Dietrihm7

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Those who cry racism over ridiculous incidents like this, make light of the true suffering people have faced and face around the world. The state of "news" on all mediums is frightening and is at a true crisis point.

Anyone who buys into new's stories of this ilk, and gets involved with making them trend higher and higher on twitter, makes me question how they were raised. If something is trending on twitter it usually means the opposite opinion to the "trend" is the sane one.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:33 pm Reply with quote
encrypted12345 wrote:
I know my Japanese teacher forced us to say English loan words in Japanese the Japanese way. It's weird in text, but it might be more polite to say it vocally like that in Japan.

That is because if you don't, unless they speak a reasonable amount of English, they won't get it. Also despite being specifically warned that just saying an English word as a Japanese person would say it won't help them get it, both times I actually tried it due to having no other ideas worked (getting internet at a DeoDeo and changing my visa status).

Anyway, like some one else said, she probably asked how it was said in Japanese. In that picture she is in front of a sign that literally spells out Shinderera in katakana. She also put 'Shinderera' in single quotes. My initial thought would be that she is referencing the sign she is standing in front of. Sounds like a bunch of closet racists assuming other people are racist because they are.

Last edited by SilverTalon01 on Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
kirisaki_kabuto

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:35 pm Reply with quote
A ridiculous example of how over-sensitive people can be about such themes on the Internet. The girl knows nothing about Japanese, copies the title from the IMDB page and gets called a racist. Jesus Christ...
myskaros

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Did people not notice that there is the Japanese movie sign in that picture she tweeted that says, right there, "Shinderera"? It could have literally just been a "Oh look, there's the title in Japanese in this picture! Let me ask someone how that's romanized!"
Aquamine-Amarine

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:40 pm Reply with quote
I swear people go out of their way to find something to be offended by.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:40 pm Reply with quote
myskaros wrote:
Did people not notice that there is the Japanese movie sign in that picture she tweeted that says, right there, "Shinderera"? It could have literally just been a "Oh look, there's the title in Japanese in this picture! Let me ask someone how that's romanized!"

Exactly, she even put it in single quotes. Generally putting a word or phrase in a quotation means you are referencing something... perhaps the sign she is directly in front of.
Gasero

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:46 pm Reply with quote
"How DARE she write the name as it is spelled in Japanese!"

Are people seriously looking for something to be offended about all the time? I don't know how much of an issue this actually is in Japan, but if it made it to ANN then there must have been enough there to write a story. I'm sure Japanese media NEVER do anything to offend people of other cultures...right?

Even if it was written in a mean way, it wouldn't be racist. Bigoted maybe, but not racist. People with accents pronounce words differently? How offensive.

Jeez. And I am saying this from the perspective of a Black person living in the United States. People can joke about something without being hateful.

Last edited by Gasero on Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:47 pm Reply with quote
traveling wrote:
Every person has something that offends them, but I think it's a huge stretch to call this the least bit racist or offensive. She literally posted Cinderella out phonetically as a Japanese person would say it.

Also to note that she was attending the Japanese premiere, as the US one happened some time ago.

(But then, it's not like we ever have "Freedom of speech except for the bad people!" PC-mafias on this board from posters taking any hostages necessary in search of their own cultural identity, heavens no, we're an example of patience and tolerance... Razz )
Parse Error

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:48 pm Reply with quote
If a Japanese person were offended by it, then I wouldn't question the legitimacy of their feelings. One can elaborate on their own intent, but cannot simply debate away the hurtful experiences underlying someone's conditioned knee-jerk reaction.

However, this is more likely one of those cases of arguably well-meaning people feeling entitled to get offended on someone else's behalf with emotions they lack the background to genuinely feel. While I'm sure being perpetually outraged is effective at cultivating their desired more-progressive-than-thou image for themselves, it does far more harm than good in regard to fostering understanding between different groups of people. Instead, it's become commonplace for people to react dismissively toward those who feel insulted for valid personal reasons, due to the drastically higher probability of the alternative.

Last edited by Parse Error on Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:41 pm; edited 3 times in total
Bernkastel

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Really? You people have no sense. That is the romanization of Cinderella, you know, Honestly, people are so quick to cry "racism!"
dark_bozu

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:01 pm Reply with quote
So, most of us are racist, because we are using word "waifu" Laughing.
Bagheera

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:05 pm Reply with quote
She can do what she wants as she is a living anime character.
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:06 pm Reply with quote
A.) Race does not exist in this context.

B.) This WOULD BE a mocking of language and ethnicity, not so-called race.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7