• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Gintama

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:22 am Reply with quote
It was really funny seeing Kagura play the straight role, her observations were even more funny than what we usually get.

The whole thing, minus showing what the characters are thinking, is like the sort of comedy you get from the UK, Fawlty towers comes to mind.
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:13 am Reply with quote
These last episodes have been all really funny, so much so that now I'm also a little sad that, when this famous big-turning arc starts (I don't know, haven't read it), we probably won't see more comedy-focused ones Sad I hope they can mix them up as much as they can, the fact that some say that they skipped some comedy episodes makes me hopeful. But either way, great episodes, excited about the upcoming arc with impactful title.
razberry_yum

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:49 pm Reply with quote
justsomeaccount wrote:
These last episodes have been all really funny, so much so that now I'm also a little sad that, when this famous big-turning arc starts (I don't know, haven't read it), we probably won't see more comedy-focused ones Sad I hope they can mix them up as much as they can, the fact that some say that they skipped some comedy episodes makes me hopeful. But either way, great episodes, excited about the upcoming arc with impactful title.

Not to bum you out, but I don't know if they would be able to fit in the comedic stuff without interrupting the flow once we get going. At least we do have somewhat comedic moments during the epic arc, but I think it would be weirder if they stopped to insert some purely comedic episodes that have nothing to do with the larger arc. We still have a few weeks to go though...like at least 4 - 5 more eps? So we'll get all comedy from now until December...that's a good chunk. They can always save some of the comedy stuff for specials.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:53 pm Reply with quote
razberry_yum wrote:
Not to bum you out, but I don't know if they would be able to fit in the comedic stuff without interrupting the flow once we get going. At least we do have somewhat comedic moments during the epic arc, but I think it would be weirder if they stopped to insert some purely comedic episodes that have nothing to do with the larger arc. We still have a few weeks to go though...like at least 4 - 5 more eps? So we'll get all comedy from now until December...that's a good chunk. They can always save some of the comedy stuff for specials.

Unfortunately, if the Shogun Assassination Arc kicks off on December 2nd, that only leaves three more comedic episodes (assuming the show doesn't take any time off). Next week's will probably wrap up the Feigned Illness Arc, and I'm not sure which of the six remaining stories will occupy the final two slots. I have a feeling it'll be the Guardian Spirits Arc or the Love Potion Arc. No matter what, we're going to be left with at least four unadapted stories.

If they alter the timeline a little, they could conceivably wedge the rest of the funny stuff in between the S.A. Arc and the subsequent arc, but there's absolutely no wiggle room after that. I actually have a hunch as to how they might go about that, but it contains way too many spoilers. Like you said, they may even present them in the form of specials. Can't you picture it? They'll open with the old establishing shot of Odd Jobs Gin-chan/Snack Otose, and Gintoki will inform us that they've decided to lighten the mood since things have taken such a dark turn. (They did something similar right in the middle of the Yoshiwara in Flames Arc.) From what I remember, the first couple chapters of S.A. are pretty funny, but as a whole, this arc is probably Gintama's darkest in tone - even more so than the two serious arcs that come after it.
razberry_yum

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:01 pm Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:

Unfortunately, if the Shogun Assassination Arc kicks off on December 2nd, that only leaves three more comedic episodes (assuming the show doesn't take any time off). Next week's will probably wrap up the Feigned Illness Arc, and I'm not sure which of the six remaining stories will occupy the final two slots. I have a feeling it'll be the Guardian Spirits Arc or the Love Potion Arc. No matter what, we're going to be left with at least four unadapted stories.

The spoiler[Guardian Spirits arc] makes more sense; they can definitely do that in 2 eps. I don't want them to rush the spoiler[Love Potion arc] though so I hope they just save that for spoiler[Valentine's Day].

JaggedAuthor wrote:
...Like you said, they may even present them in the form of specials. Can't you picture it? They'll open with the establishing shot of Odd Jobs Gin-chan/Snack Otose, and Gintoki will inform us that they've decided to lighten the mood since things have taken such a dark turn...

Oh I can totally imagine them doing it that way...the only tricky thing is, spoiler[Tsukuyo] pretty much disappears after the LP arc, so again, it'll be a little tricky wedging that person back in, even if they prepare us for it. They should just do a spoiler[Valentine's Day] and give us MORE eps of Gintama during that week. Lol.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:28 pm Reply with quote
I honestly wouldn't mind seeing the Excalibur Arc (from all the way back in 2012) animated, either. It could probably fit into two episodes, but it contains a lot of fighting, and I have a feeling they're conserving the animation budget in preparation for the action-packed emotional gut-punch that is the S.A. Arc.
chex mix

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:11 pm Reply with quote
I like how everyone in this thread has done such a good job of spoiler tagging arc names and anything relevant and BAM! fat ass arc title and timing spoiler right in the review. thanks. Sounds game-changing, glad I got to find out about it nice and unspoiled. Ugh.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:09 am Reply with quote
chex mix wrote:
I like how everyone in this thread has done such a good job of spoiler tagging arc names and anything relevant and BAM! fat ass arc title and timing spoiler right in the review. thanks. Sounds game-changing, glad I got to find out about it nice and unspoiled. Ugh.

To be fair, ANN ran a news blurb entitled "Gintama Anime Enters 'Shogun Assassination' Arc in December" a day or two before this review went up, so the cat was already out of the bag. (animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-11-03/gintama-anime-enters-shogun-assassination-arc-in-december/.94953) Also, the official Gintama website is currently sporting a large banner that reads: "Shogun Assassination Arc Begins December 2nd at 6:00 p.m." Having read the manga, I can confirm that there are no spoilers to be found in this review or the aforementioned news bit. The reviewer called the arc "epic-SOUNDING" and "POTENTIALLY game-changing," so I assume she's just as in-the-dark about it as you. I can understand being spoiler-adverse, but I reject the notion that story titles and light speculation constitute spoilers. Basically, you were made aware of the existence of an important-sounding arc several weeks before its anime adaptation is slated to begin. Unless you actively seek out spoilers for this particular story in the interim, your enjoyment of it should not be inhibited.
amcnulty

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:46 pm Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:
To be fair, ANN ran a news blurb entitled "Gintama Anime Enters 'Shogun Assassination' Arc in December" a day or two before this review went up, so the cat was already out of the bag.

Yes, I considered it news known to the community once the studio made a big announcement about it and it appeared on ANN... And I DON'T read the manga (although I see some of the things you guys discuss in the forums, so I'm not totally unsure about what will happen). I also don't see why people keep thinking the word "assassination" is a spoiler... Does it say anyone succeeds in assassinating? I don't know. I assume someone's going to try to assassinate. Whether or not they succeed remains to be seen.
razberry_yum

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:52 pm Reply with quote
amcnulty wrote:
JaggedAuthor wrote:
To be fair, ANN ran a news blurb entitled "Gintama Anime Enters 'Shogun Assassination' Arc in December" a day or two before this review went up, so the cat was already out of the bag.

Yes, I considered it news known to the community once the studio made a big announcement about it and it appeared on ANN... And I DON'T read the manga (although I see some of the things you guys discuss in the forums, so I'm not totally unsure about what will happen). I also don't see why people keep thinking the word "assassination" is a spoiler... Does it say anyone succeeds in assassinating? I don't know. I assume someone's going to try to assassinate. Whether or not they succeed remains to be seen.

Saying this might be a spoiler in it of itself so just to be safe: spoiler[it's actually cracking me up how we manga readers are inadvertently spoiling it for non-manga readers by reacting so strongly to the title, which we KNOW isn't just a tease. But if you didn't read the manga, you could easily just assume, like you said, that it's only an ATTEMPT. Honestly, it would've been best if they'd just went with a different title to avoid all the hubbub: perhaps naming it the Shogun arc would've been sufficient.]

And please, anyone if you want to respond to what I just said by quoting, make sure all the Spoiler tags are in place. Click "PREVIEW" before you "SUBMIT" to check. I did drop some spoilers up there.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:43 am Reply with quote
Wow... Even though I know what's going to happen, the two-minute preview at the end of episode 297 gave me goosebumps. Also, I hope this doesn't mean Gintama is taking the week after next off.
Merida

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:08 pm Reply with quote
OMG, poor Kagura-chan, this ep. made me laugh so hard that i cried. Laughing

And yes, the preview was awesome, i'm really getting excited for this arc now, even though i'm still a bit sad they won't animate some of the funny arcs (yet).
razberry_yum

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:53 pm Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:
Wow... Even though I know what's going to happen, the two-minute preview at the end of episode 297 gave me goosebumps. Also, I hope this doesn't mean Gintama is taking the week after next off.

The preview got me so pumped up, I wanted to run around and scream like a crazy person (but unfortunately couldn't since I'm at work).

I guess they're not going to do your favorite arc after all; which is really surprising. They need at least 5 episodes for that (one for each chapter) and there's no way they would be able to fit all that in before Dec 2nd. The preview for next week's ep looks only mildly familiar, but it was probably one of those stand-alone chapters I sped through. Looks like we might not even get the spoiler[Shinigami glasses story].
razberry_yum

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
OMG, poor Kagura-chan, this ep. made me laugh so hard that i cried. Laughing

And yes, the preview was awesome, i'm really getting excited for this arc now, even though i'm still a bit sad they won't animate some of the funny arcs (yet).

There were definitely laugh out loud moments in the last two eps. Kagura is so adorable. And despite Okita's murderous tendencies toward her, I still find them completely shippable (it's OkiKagu).

Btw, is this an original story for the anime? I thought I had read it since some parts seem familiar, but when I really thought about it some parts seemed totally alien at the same time. When I actually tried checking, I couldn't find the chapters in the manga for this Kagura story. Maybe it's under a different name? Or am I just completely wrong in thinking it came from the manga?

Update: Ok, I found it! Chapters 458-459! They are named differently and the anime version IS a little different (and funnier). Whew! Thank goodness. I thought I was imagining things!
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:46 pm Reply with quote
razberry_yum wrote:
JaggedAuthor wrote:

The preview got me so pumped up, I wanted to run around and scream like a crazy person (but unfortunately couldn't since I'm at work).

I guess they're not going to do your favorite arc after all; which is really surprising. They need at least 5 episodes for that (one for each chapter) and there's no way they would be able to fit all that in before Dec 2nd. The preview for next week's ep looks only mildly familiar, but it was probably one of those stand-alone chapters I sped through. Looks like we might not even get the spoiler[Shinigami glasses story].

Yep, I totally forgot about the handful of unadapted single-chapter stories still floating around.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 16 of 35