• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Springtime for Panties

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Foxaika

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 9:27 am Reply with quote
myskaros wrote:

Highly enjoyable. I absolutely love the manga, and, while the anime does a decent job in general, the comedic beats in the manga never miss a step. The anime left out the punishment game from when Takao lost the cultural festival bet, which is one of my favorite chapters. They also relegated the water race to the OVA, which is another of my favorite mini stories. I feel like every chapter of D-FRAG has me holding my sides, which is quite impressive.

If you have an accessible bookstore that carries manga, you might be able to check it out there, I definitely saw D-FRAG at my local Barnes & Noble.

I'll have to acquire it for myself then. If I can't find it at a bookstore I suppose I can order it online. I did quite enjoy the show, so I imagine if the manga is even better, I will thoroughly enjoy that as well. It certainly sounds like a lot of fun. I wish the show ran for longer, but I'm not one to shy away from manga either.

enurtsol wrote:

Well, what works in one market doesn't mean it works in another market.

For instance, our movie theaters cost less and quicker than what Japanese get in their movie theaters, but still doesn't mean that people here don't think the prices are high. The high prices work in Japan; the high prices don't work here, even at half price and quick releases.

I get that, really. Though I will say that I understand that it is cheaper than the Japanese release and you get the same stuff they do. My only thing is that most of that I don't care much about, and the one thing I might have cared about (at least in the Yuuki Yuuna release) wasn't included. But it is what it is. Not really complaining about it at this point. My reaction was less about the pricing and more the comment itself.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 9:53 am Reply with quote
Foxaika wrote:

I get that, really. Though I will say that I understand that it is cheaper than the Japanese release and you get the same stuff they do. My only thing is that most of that I don't care much about, and the one thing I might have cared about (at least in the Yuuki Yuuna release) wasn't included. But it is what it is. Not really complaining about it at this point. My reaction was less about the pricing and more the comment itself.

Yes it is cheaper than the Japanese release, but that is not saying much. It is still too expensive for most but the collector's and die hard fans. I am forking out for Kill la Kill after all.

Most of us have no problem with these basically Japanese imports intended for the uber fan and collector. The problem lies in the fact that AoA and Pony Canyon have no intention of releasing standard edition Blu-Ray's at affordable prices (not cheap).

You got me curious though. I've been severely tempted by the Yuuki Yuuna release, despite the vampiric pricing. What is missing from it, that makes it such a no go for you.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 10:30 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Is there any other genre of popular entertainment where "boobs" and "panties" are a common topic of discussion among reviewers? I certainly can't think of any!

can anime even be considered that ? I mean, I know that we have teh big hitters, teh dragon ball, narutos, sailor moons, but then ?
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 10:56 am Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
yuna49 wrote:
Is there any other genre of popular entertainment where "boobs" and "panties" are a common topic of discussion among reviewers? I certainly can't think of any!

can anime even be considered that ? I mean, I know that we have teh big hitters, teh dragon ball, narutos, sailor moons, but then ?

Are you asking whether anime constitutes a form of "popular entertainment?" "Popular" here doesn't refer to the size of the audience, but content designed to appeal to mass audiences (as compared to "high culture" like opera).

Also remember that we're talking about Japanese programming for Japanese audiences. Popularity in the West is irrelevant. Even late-night anime shows draw audiences in the 1-2% range, with the most popular (in the audience size sense) shows reaching 5-7%. In a country with 50 million households, a rating of 2% translates into a million homes. So, yes, I'd call anime "popular entertainment."
Foxaika

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 11:03 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

Yes it is cheaper than the Japanese release, but that is not saying much. It is still too expensive for most but the collector's and die hard fans. I am forking out for Kill la Kill after all.

Most of us have no problem with these basically Japanese imports intended for the uber fan and collector. The problem lies in the fact that AoA and Pony Canyon have no intention of releasing standard edition Blu-Ray's at affordable prices (not cheap).

You got me curious though. I've been severely tempted by the Yuuki Yuuna release, despite the vampiric pricing. What is missing from it, that makes it such a no go for you.

Yeah, that's the thing. I generally have only some interest at most in the extras that they have, and not having the choice to get just I want or even just the show makes it unfortunate. I think I would have much less of a problem if they routinely did as you said, release standard editions that are at least somewhat reasonable in regards to price.

To clarify, it's not that it makes it a no go, it just makes it less appealing. I like the show, as I said in that thread, but at the same time, none of the extras outside the packaging perhaps is interesting. The one thing I was referring to that would make me more interested were the Visual Novels that were bundled with a couple of the Japanese release volumes, but those were not included.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 1:45 pm Reply with quote
I don't really have a problem with the Aniplex/Ponycan/etc pricing model. They're priced for otaku collectors, who would otherwise not have the chance to own that series. You're paying for the nice packaging, yes (and Ponycan's packages are very nice), but you're also paying for the property even being released on physical media in North America, especially if it's not a blockbuster. And I do think there's a difference between an otaku blockbuster and a mainstream/casual blockbuster. Love Live is a big otaku money-maker, but your average everyday US anime fan is probably not buying it over, say, Attack on Titan. But I love companies NISA for putting out really fantastic stuff that I'd otherwise not expect to see, like Princess and the Pilot.

That said, the price necessarily factors into a decision like, "would I buy this?" If you love love love Denki-gai, then $90/4ep is not a big deal, provided you have the disposable income for it. But if you eh-I-like-Denki-gai-a-lot-and-I-would-stream-it-a-few-times-maybe, then that price is going to stop you. As opposed it, "Eh, I really like this show but.... oh, it's only $30? Ok."

tl;dr: I don't have a problem with premium pricing. It exists for a reason. But just because I'm ok with premium pricing, doesn't necessarily mean I'd pay it for a show that I don't fervently love.

This isn't limited to anime. This is an everyday decision that we make with every consumer good. "Do I want to pay $13 to go see Mad Max? Ok. Do I want to pay $13 to see Red 3, even though I want to see it eventually? Ehhhh maybe not."
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 1:54 pm Reply with quote
mgosdin wrote:
I saw a few days ago where PonyCan US confirmed that they are not interested in doing standard editions...

What is your source for that contention? Really hope it isn't true.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
mgosdin wrote:
I saw a few days ago where PonyCan US confirmed that they are not interested in doing standard editions...

What is your source for that contention? Really hope it isn't true.

he's probably referring to the recent update on their Facebook page
Foxaika

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 2:24 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:

he's probably referring to the recent update on their Facebook page

Found it:

PONYCAN's Facebook post wrote:
Will we be releasing a complete season box set or a standard edition later?

I made some queries around the office to get confirmation about this, but the answer is that we currently have no plans to do so. We will be focusing our efforts on the Collectors' Edition Box Sets. We would like to bring high-quality animation that was produced in Japan to North American fans while keeping the quality intact as much as possible.

Last edited by Foxaika on Tue May 19, 2015 2:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Ponycan's Facebook post:

Quote:

I made some queries around the office to get confirmation about this, but the answer is that we currently have no plans to do so. We will be focusing our efforts on the Collectors' Edition Box Sets. We would like to bring high-quality animation that was produced in Japan to North American fans while keeping the quality intact as much as possible.

I would not take this to be the last word on the subject. Notice the phrasing, "we CURRENTLY have no plans to do so." This is corporate speak for, "we may in the future re-release titles in cheaper form, but we sure as hell aren't going to say so while we're still trying to flog our CE versions."
lem

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 3:55 pm Reply with quote
ANN_Bamboo wrote:
I don't really have a problem with the Aniplex/Ponycan/etc pricing model. They're priced for otaku collectors, who would otherwise not have the chance to own that series.

This isn't limited to anime. This is an everyday decision that we make with every consumer good. "Do I want to pay $13 to go see Mad Max? Ok. Do I want to pay $13 to see Red 3, even though I want to see it eventually? Ehhhh maybe not."

I love your column and appreciate your writing and I can't count how many times you've helped me in deciding what to buy or not over the years. Thank you.

I also don't have a problem with anyone's pricing with anime or otherwise, but... ...we're not talking about going to the movies are we?

What we have conveniently left out or forgot about though is the fact that they have only offered one edition. As in singular. In essence, it's a take it or leave it edition. There's isn't anything premium, collector's whatever label one applies to it about that.

I was sold with the review but having checked the cast credits for D-Frag! I see that it includes not one but three of my favorite female voices (Megumi Toyoguchi, Ami Koshimizu, and Chiwa Saito) to listen to so that one gets moved into the buy sooner rather than later.
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Ponycan's Facebook post:

Quote:

I would not take this to be the last word on the subject. Notice the phrasing, "we CURRENTLY have no plans to do so." This is corporate speak for, "we may in the future re-release titles in cheaper form, but we sure as hell aren't going to say so while we're still trying to flog our CE versions."

Yes; also: "Until we figure out if our business model is going to work. At this point, it is too early to tell."

If I were them though, I would at least want to come up with a plan B now rather than later. We'll see what happens.

Can't wait for Jigen Daisuke to come out over here though. Hurry up, Funi!
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Usagi-kun wrote:

Can't wait for Jigen Daisuke to come out over here though. Hurry up, Funi!

I think Discotek has that movie
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

AoA still hasn't done so yet, so I have little faith that Pony Canyon will do so in time. Wouldn't mind being wrong though, it would be a pleasant surprise.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 6:30 pm Reply with quote
lem wrote:

What we have conveniently left out or forgot about though is the fact that they have only offered one edition. As in singular. In essence, it's a take it or leave it edition. There's isn't anything premium, collector's whatever label one applies to it about that.

Yeah, that's kind of a bummer. I think there's value in doing standard sets as well, but at least you can watch it online, which I think is really, really tremendously great, provided you're not in one of the countries where you're totally screwed on that end.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4