• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GATE (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:45 am Reply with quote
And I am totally watching this. In terms of how the war has been going, it kind of goes they way I want compared to something like World Trigger. When some army attacks you, you find out what you can and then go after them to intimidate them to not to do it again. Nice to see that modern guns winning against fantasy infantry, and of that side to so foolishly be so aggressive against an enemy they have no idea of, politics comes with a heavy hand.

Would be interesting to see if we get any humanity out of the more monstrous creatures instead of just what they will inevitably use of cure elf girl and co. Going back to Outbreak Company, which I surely will mention multiple times, I quite liked Bluk.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Shikiari wrote:
By right i'm glad the JDSF ripped through the invaders like a hot knife through butter, especially with the technology at our/ their disposal. I was joking moments before that the Americans would have stuck their noses in by now, and no sooner had I said so, they did.

Uh, duh. An unknown and hostile force attacked a close ally and they came through a gate from ANOTHER WORLD. Why *wouldn't* the US be interested in that? No one knows whether there will be more gates, or where they could appear, or HOW the gates are made or why.

More generally, I thought it was kind of silly that the commander (I believe it was) said that they'd been sending scouts through for the past month but had no idea what they'd find on the other side. Uh... the POINT of sending scouts is so that you DO have some idea of what you'll find on the other side. In fact, they should've been *flooding* the area with every kind of survellience they have (remember the Stargate movie?). Now, if he meant "nothing we sent through the gate came back", *then* I could understand them not having any intel on what's on the other side.

Another thing I noticed is that the girl whose parent(s) died looks a bit like the gothic lolita you get a couple of glimpses of (one of them when the MC was fantasizing seeing after almost knocking himself out against that pillar). Speaking of that incident, there were a couple of other girls he saw then which he will apparently be meeting on the other side.

So, it goes without saying that "magic" is involved here somewhere. Also, as Key mentioned, the MC is somehow connected to things Over There, either that or he possesses some strange foreknowledge of events.

And lastly, since they mentioned America, I'm a little surprised that after a month's delay, the forces entering the Gate don't contain at least *some* American units. As another poster mentioned, I have noticed a certain amount of... maybe not jingoism, but heavy nationalistic themes going on. At one point, I wondered if the series was going to be some sort of recruiting gimmick for the JSDF: Even Otakus have a place in protecting the mighty Emp... er... Nation of Japan! But I'm probably overthinking that aspect... if not, it'll become evident before long.

I did like the episode and think I'll keep watching it. This one's got potential, IMO.
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
At one point, I wondered if the series was going to be some sort of recruiting gimmick for the JSDF: Even Otakus have a place in protecting the mighty Emp... er... Nation of Japan! But I'm probably overthinking that aspect... if not, it'll become evident before long.

You're not overthinking it - apparently the online version of the novels was full of extreme right wing nationalism. When it got officially published, the publishers got the author to tone it down - but it doesn't sound like it got taken out entirely. Though there's no telling how the anime will handle things.

I kind of wish I hadn't heard this bit of trivia, to be honest. My greatest barrier to enjoying this episode was overanalyzing it for traces of this aspect.
casualfan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:04 pm Reply with quote
How is Japanese nationalism in anime a bad thing? Heck, what I see in this first episode is nowhere near the level American nationalism that's all over Hollywood or any American tv.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:31 pm Reply with quote
I actually thought it kind of funny that it was a little like the fantasy side did what the Japanese Empire tried to do in the past. Tried to expand their territory, and got a surprise hit on another nation, perhaps not realising that the difference of technology put them at a disadvantage. Japan could be on the other side now at stopping the aggresice side by possibly bombing them into submission.

If I were to overthink it, it almost feels like a tale about new vs old Japan.
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:43 pm Reply with quote
casualfan wrote:
How is Japanese nationalism in anime a bad thing? Heck, what I see in this first episode is nowhere near the level American nationalism that's all over Hollywood or any American tv.

It's more the "extreme" part that I find bad. Regardless of what part of the political spectrum it leans to, extremism tends to be aggravatingly un-nuanced and unsubtle (especially when applied to fiction).

Not to mention Japanese nationalism tends to be associated with historical revisionism, like trying to pretend things like the Rape of Nanjing never happened.

Not to say my country of the USA is that much better, as you mentioned. We'd like it if everyone could just forget all the horrible shit we did to the Native Americans, thank you very much.

(spoiler[...Because this is the internet, I'd better straight up say that I'm not saying this seriously! By no means do I think we should be wiping out random unpleasant bits of American history.])

That being said, I'm trying not to overthink it, because it's only to fair to judge the anime based on what it presents, not what I've heard about the source material.
meiam

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:46 pm Reply with quote
It's not really gonna be possible to avoid the political side when the JSDF is so heavily involved and that currently Abe is trying to re-write the constitution so there not just a self defense force anymore. I mean, there still called JSDF but there invading another nation, with the loophole that they consider it there territory (good luck getting that trough any tribunal).

Now personally I'd love it if they went full political, but nah, it's gonna be Otakuness and loli-plosion instead. Rolling Eyes
casualfan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:18 pm Reply with quote
If we're going to start mentioning the bad things, don't forget the current American foreign policy that's killed countless civilians. At least for now Japan is passive and isn't trying to control the world like the good ole US of A.

I don't see any extreme nationalism in the first episode. If the fantasy creatures happen to attack New York instead, you bet the pentagon would do the exact same thing. The fantasy creatures are obviously violent as they just massacred innocent civilians indiscriminately. Unless they get defeated and forced into some kind of peace treaty, it's only logical that they would attack again.
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Kindly stow the tu quoques and the whataboutism. Some of us are just here to see the JSDF wreak havoc in a fantasy world. Basically, what Reign of Fire should have been. Then again, only the first episode, so who knows how it'll all end?
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:01 am Reply with quote
Episode 2:

Hmm, I guess the show isn't shy to show off its causality numbers judging from this week's episode. Anyways, yeah. The war and fantasy themes of GATE took quite a big step this week. There's even a glimpse of a dragon too.

Also, it is finally introducing the main female characters.

Next week should be interesting judging by the PV.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:15 pm Reply with quote
I think the stupidity, greed, and self-interest of the people in charge on both sides is going to get on my last nerve in this. Too close to real life...
Shikiari

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I think the stupidity, greed, and self-interest of the people in charge on both sides is going to get on my last nerve in this. Too close to real life...

The king is putting a lot of faith in his ability to defeat the JSDF or he must believe he can come to some sort of truce at least. Personally, I hope the JSDF wipe the capital off the face of the earth.

Still, a good second episode to follow the first with plenty of action and by the looks of things, a few new main character introductions to happen next week.
phia_one

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:19 pm Reply with quote
What the heck is the emperor thinking? A portion of your army gets slaughtered? Screw it, send more!

Anyway, I still on board with this show.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:25 pm Reply with quote
He was thinking "Well, crap. Now that my main fighting force is decimated, all my vassal states might see an opportunity to rise up and throw off the empire's authority by force... unless their armies get slaughtered by the same enemy."
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Seems to be the only show I like this season. I wanna give Gangsta a try... but gangsta really. Quick guide to how to become a gangsta.

Episode ended when the elf appeared what a shame.

I would have enjoyed if we saw them talking to the villagers. Maybe this anime is really all about war and otakus.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 21