• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Universal Appeal

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lavmintrose

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:45 am Reply with quote
Hey, Universal put Attack on Titan stuff in their theme park, so...

(causing an accidental crossover when people buy Survey Corps capes and wear them into the Harry Potter section... I think Hogwarts could deal with Titans, though.)
John Thacker

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:39 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
It's true that an entertainment company would likely be more familiar with their native audiences vs. their foreign audiences. However, they might be getting a better idea of understanding their foreign audiences when they establish a company branch for a particular company. For example, in '09, Kadokawa Pictures did have an American division where they were pitching some of their anime titles. The only 1 I really recall was Chrome Shelled Regios.

I mentioned Enoki Films USA in the post you quoted. This was the American branch that pitched KareKano as "Tales from North Hills High" and Utena as "Ursula's Kiss." They certainly didn't understand the American anime fandom at that point.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:45 am Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:
I mentioned Enoki Films USA in the post you quoted. This was the American branch that pitched KareKano as "Tales from North Hills High" and Utena as "Ursula's Kiss."

Whoa, I had no idea that Kare Kano: HHC and Revolutionary Girl Utena were marketed like that back then. Shocked Thank goodness the names were only a facade.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3