• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Will Manga Go Public Domain?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
st_owly

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:59 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

And I believe GOSH still owns the rights to Peter Pan.

Almost. In the UK at least, thanks to a special provision in law, GOSH has the right to gain any royalties from the performance, publication etc of the play. But, they cannot refuse someone permission to use it, nor do they have creative control of use of the material.

Thanks, semester on copyright law. You were actually useful.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:03 pm Reply with quote
noblesse oblige wrote:

I think we are already seeing this with the increase in short form (2-10min) anime. I see this trend continuing to grow too. And come to think of it, the seasons/cours might be shrinking as well. Thirteen episodes used to be the norm, right? But I think eleven and twelve episodes has become just as common, no?

No. A cour has always typically been 12 or 13 episodes. It has always been a mix. 2 cour shows are usually 24 or 26 episodes. 11 episodes is still basically only Noitamina shows with maybe a couple of exceptions.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Lili-Hime wrote:
Those Lodoss Blu Rays are so beautiful tho... I'd so buy them but no subs or dubs

Yeah, that stopped me as well or I would have too. Such a shame.

Oh yeah, on that other note, that OP for the TV series was fantastic.
I also somewhat remember that I quite enjoyed that first part of the TV series with the new adventure for Parn, Deedlit, etc.

Last edited by DangerMouse on Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
WingKing

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
To me, for a thing to truly become public domain, it also means that the trademark of a work also becomes public domain. Also, there would be a law that bars retroactive copyrighting. What I mean is that a few years back, the US Supreme Court enabled many foreign public domain works to get re-copyrighted. I wouldn't be surprised if the Walt Disney Corp. had a role with this.

The other problem is that even if the work itself falls outside copyright, there are other pieces of it that might not, and this is because the visuals, the audio, and the script are all considered separately copyrightable elements, and one part might be public domain while another isn't. For example, there were a number of movies that fell through the cracks in the 1970s and ended up in public domain because their owners didn't renew the copyrights on them (which you still had to do back then). One of those movies was It's a Wonderful Life, and that's why it was on television so much in the 70s and 80s and why it was one of the earliest movies available on home video after the VCR came in - all of which contributed to making it so popular, of course. Republic Pictures saw all the money they could still be making and pressed a claim in 1993 that since they still held the film rights to the novel "The Greatest Gift" that the movie was based on, that meant that even if the film's images were public domain, they still owned the rights to the script and story as a derivative work of the novel, and the Supreme Court gave it to them on those grounds. Other movies have had their public domain freedom partly or completely yanked back because someone still owned rights to the music in it.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:07 pm Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
Almost. In the UK at least, thanks to a special provision in law, GOSH has the right to gain any royalties from the performance, publication etc of the play. But, they cannot refuse someone permission to use it, nor do they have creative control of use of the material.

Thanks, semester on copyright law. You were actually useful.
Aren't the only true exceptions to the expiration of copyrights in the UK the ones held by the crown? I'd say the KJV's the only, but then I just know somebody would chime in with another crown copyright.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:06 pm Reply with quote
WingKing wrote:
all considered separately copyrightable elements .

With this, I feel that once a movie or show becomes public domain, all the trademarks and everything tied to (visuals, audio, script, etc.) also become public domain and there would be no possible way that retroactive copyright would work.
dizzon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:11 am Reply with quote
wonderwomanhero wrote:
I saw a terrible OVA series that ADV put out called Legend of Crystania. It had some sort of connection to Lodoss, but I don't know what. I just remember it was bloody and the character designs were rather ugly.

The two main characters of LoC, Lord Ashram and the dark elf Pirotess, were in the Lodoss War OVA and tv series.

Long story short, because of what happens during RoLW Ashram, accompanied by his "companion" Pirotess sail South of the island Lodoss to the smaller island of Crystania to find a new home for his people.

And yes, it was terrible. Not the story itself but how it was adapted. If I had one anime wish it would be that this franchise would get properly told in animation form. Besides the issues with LoC, the OVA ending didn't actually happen, the tv series said to ignore the OVA ending and pick up where the story should've left off and the animation for that (not to mention the dub) was also terrible.

If only the main story would get a FMA Brotherhood type remake, I would be very happy.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:02 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Only the manga. The anime was greenlit a year later and was expected to run longer all along. Also, there are plenty of series that are planned to be long runners, even if they run even longer than those plans. One Piece was first planned to run a good 20-odd volumes before it proved to be a giant hit.
From what I've heard, the Pokemon anime was originally planned as a 26-episode series as well. I believe it was extended after it was sold overseas.

Even One Piece had an out in case it got canceled though. Gold Roger never specified a location for his treasure, and no possibilities were even mentioned until the Baratie arc, which was far enough in that Eiichiro Oda could feel safe against cancellation. Everyone just assumes it's Raftel.

Kadmos1 wrote:
To me, for a thing to truly become public domain, it also means that the trademark of a work also becomes public domain. Also, there would be a law that bars retroactive copyrighting. What I mean is that a few years back, the US Supreme Court enabled many foreign public domain works to get re-copyrighted. I wouldn't be surprised if the Walt Disney Corp. had a role with this.

There's also the case with Nicolas Loufrani, who purchased the worldwide rights to the smiley face, which was previously public domain, and charges ludicrous amounts for it, so much that even Wal•Mart decided the asking price was not worth it. (Loufrani is responsible for why Wal•Mart's Rollback campaign stopped using smiley faces. Rumor has it that he was also responsible for why Watchmen went into development hell, as one character's smiley-face badge is plot important.)

The Wikimedia Foundation also has to constantly keep watch over itself to protect its public domain status. And for GNU software, there's a really long contract that's solely a defense against anyone who aims to take it out of the public domain.

On the other hand, when a copyright expires, it's very hard to get it back. It's a Wonderful Life is an aforementioned example that left the public domain because it was an adaptation of a work RKO also owned. If it was not an adaptation, it would still be public domain now.

EricJ2 wrote:
While Wizard of Oz from 1910 turned PD five years ago, as you....also may have noticed from a sudden glut of movies.

Anything relating to that famous movie still has to go through Warner Bros.'s legal and/or licensing departments though. I'm guessing it's a legally separate entity from L. Frank Baum's books.

There was a recent game based on the movie (and strictly on that, with no references to any sequels, literary or filmic, or any other adaptations), which was delayed for about two years due to Warner Bros. breathing down their necks, though ultimately, they pretty much let these designers do whatever they wanted.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:16 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
The Wikimedia Foundation also has to constantly keep watch over itself to protect its public domain status. And for GNU software, there's a really long contract that's solely a defense against anyone who aims to take it out of the public domain.

The GNU General Public License is not public domain. Rather it's a copyright license that extends certain rights to the user of the GPL'd software instead of restricting them like an EULA. Public domain software source code can easily be used to make closed source proprietary software.

Similarly, Wikimedia uses Creative Commons licenses to allow the creation of derivative works. CC and GPL both rely on copyright law in order to work.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:55 am Reply with quote
Concerning terms of retroactive copyright, I don't think that's much an issue for comp. like Disney and lobbying the Amer. gov't to extend the copyright lifespan. It becomes somewhat of a political issue: When a corp lobbies with or contributes to political party, the gov't may return their favor with things like copyright extension.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:49 am Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
The GNU General Public License is not public domain. Rather it's a copyright license that extends certain rights to the user of the GPL'd software instead of restricting them like an EULA. Public domain software source code can easily be used to make closed source proprietary software.
The GPL is also a viral license - any code that plugs into has to be GPL-compatible(the LGPL's less bad about this: it really only applies to the project itself, so you can use it relatively worry-free amongst proprietary projects). This doesn't count the GPLv3, whose patent provisions are so balls-to-the-walls insane that no company will build their software with any version GNU's buildchain that's under it(while the FSF assures everybody they don't apply to software built by gcc, nobody seems to believe them).

The actual public domain-like license would be the BSD license, which is what let Apple take FreeBSD as the source of OSX.

It also doesn't raise the question of whether the build system has to be under the same license(the reason why you'll find so many Linux distros use an utterly unmaintained, ridiculously out of date fork of cdrtools - Jörg Schilling insists it can when they disagree).
Kadmos1 wrote:
Concerning terms of retroactive copyright, I don't think that's much an issue for comp. like Disney and lobbying the Amer. gov't to extend the copyright lifespan. It becomes somewhat of a political issue: When a corp lobbies with or contributes to political party, the gov't may return their favor with things like copyright extension.
Either way is extremely unacceptable: eternal copyright has huge chilling effects - witness the issues caused by the smiley, or, better yet, the fact that the the author of The Catcher and the Rye put a halt to an attempt to publish a sequel novel by a third party because he hated the very thought of it. Copyright shouldn't be about resting on your laurals the rest of your life - it's about giving people an incentive to create for the betterment of society. The asinine notion of "intellectual property" puts the cart before the horse.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:12 pm Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:

Similarly, Wikimedia uses Creative Commons licenses to allow the creation of derivative works. CC and GPL both rely on copyright law in order to work.

Ah, they're not? Copyright law is so confusing...

When I first got NeoOffice, its license agreement kept stating stuff like "so that you may use it with freedom" and "to keep this program out of for-profit companies' ownership" and such, so that was the impression I got.
Kenshiroh

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:41 pm Reply with quote
On an episode of Stu's Show (episode #396) they discussed a lot of copyright stuff. The original Star Trek TV series fell into the public domain briefly because it originally aired with no copyright notice. (More info here.)
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:11 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
When I first got NeoOffice, its license agreement kept stating stuff like "so that you may use it with freedom" and "to keep this program out of for-profit companies' ownership" and such, so that was the impression I got.
That's so-called "copyleft", which uses copyright law against itself. If you read through the GPL(v2 because that's what most projects use - the later version clause is sometimes omitted), you'll see the obligations placed on people who distribute the source code and compiled binaries. About as public domain as it gets is the X11(or MIT) license:
Quote:

Copyright (c) <year> <copyright>

Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:

The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Hmm. I didn't know there was a difference. I just thought opposition to copyright was opposition to copyright, and that anything unclaimed can be taken by anyone who puts in the effort to take it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4