• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Classic: Paranoia Agent

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bonham

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Nick Creamer wrote:
In contrast to last week's overcast skies and constant thunder, this week's episode was characterized by an oppressively clear sky. Blinding sunlight made for consistently oversaturated scenes of brightly lit faces and heavy shadows, set to a soundtrack of… nothing. No music, no background noises; just a heavy silence to match the white light, broken occasionally by sharp, intrusive static. Shonen Bat's visits have left the world in a kind of peace, but violence still lurks behind the heat and smiles.

Hiroshi Hamasaki (Texhnolyze and Shigurui) directed and storyboarded this episode, and it's really obvious. The screenshot you have in the article (an almost black-and-white image with strong, angular and contrast-heavy lighting, and characters placed off near the edge of the frame) is exemplary of his style, which usually portrays a growing anxiety or tension within the characters and their environment. The sound design also captures this very well, as you said, as there's a stillness in the world... the calm before the storm, as the cliche goes.

It's one of my favorite episodes, and, as you've guessed, is a pretty important demarcation between the first half of the series and the second. The stories of the two officers continue, but structurally there's a clear distinction between the set-up of the first six episodes and what follows after the seventh one.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:13 am Reply with quote
Quote:
After the focused plotting and tonal intensity of the last two episodes, this story was a breath of fresh air. It told a complete story and brought three vivid characters to life, managing to evoke both the sadness that prompted their journey and the warmth of friends on an adventure. It's actually one of the best short stories I've seen in anime, period - if the big Shonen Bat setpiece in the last act didn't require the context of the rest of the show to be as hilarious as it was, I'd recommend this episode as a standalone accomplishment even to people who aren't watching the show. This episode lacked some of the taut direction and sound design of the show's usual material (and the animation was also shakier than usual), but it easily made up for that with its warm, funny, intelligent storytelling. Paranoia Agent has surprised me once again.
Agree with this 100%. Although watching the episode for the first time was slightly frustrating - while I did appreciate the humour and the unexpectedly feel-good atmosphere, the absurdity of what was going on meshed really poorly with the rest of the show, to the point that I was actually wondering if I accidentally switched on some sort of spin-off of Paranoia Agent I had never heard existed. The construction workers fail to notice a little girl sneaking into the abandoned building, nearly kill three people, and then those three people just sort of calmly walk away without anyone saying anything? The guy who had jumped under the train getting back up with nobody but Zebra paying him any sort of attention? And yes, the animation didn't help either. It was only after the other shoe dropped in the end of the episode (and yes, as embarrassing as this is I only figured out that spoiler[they were already dead] literally in the last possible moment, after the photobomb scene) that I could fully appreciate the episode. I think I'll be rewatching this one on its own a lot from now on.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:19 pm Reply with quote
I was waiting for this episode to come up. It was one of the standout episodes for me for feeling so different and a subversion of the show's usual rules. Shonen Bat is clearly not used to being the one who needs to run away, for one.

This episode's title, if I recall correctly, is "Happy Family Planning." It is a fittingly darkly sarcastic title for this darkly-humored episode.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Definitely one of my top favorite episodes for Paranoia Agent. I'm not usually one for black comedy, but the timing in this episode just makes it almost impossible not to laugh. Anime hyper
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Oh yes, this is absolutely the best episode of the series, except I'd say this says less about "Happy Family Planning" and more about the rest of Paranoia Agent.

But we'll get to that point when we get to it. And no, it's not the ultimate secret, it's the bit before that.

No, it's that plus that plus that... plus that. Making me remember the show post "Happy Family Planning", despicable. Deplorable? Depressing.

When I rented the show:
DVD 1 was plot related. It had to be.
DVD 2 was somewhat plot related. Not really though, more like rumors of rumors. Legends of Urban Legends.
DVD 3 was a series of short stories. Could have been mini-movies, segments of Memories 2, would anyone have noticed?
DVD 4... we'll get there when we get there. And we are going to get there...
maoyen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8 spoilers: spoiler[So at what point of the episode did they actually die? I've always assumed it was in their first attempt, as the birds start following them right after.]

"Happy Family Planning" is one of my favorite single anime episodes of all time, that creepy ending scene always gets me. Paranoia Agent is truly an underrated masterpiece.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:57 pm Reply with quote
maoyen wrote:
Episode 8 spoilers: spoiler[So at what point of the episode did they actually die? I've always assumed it was in their first attempt, as the birds start following them right after.]

I always assumed that too because spoiler[they had visible shadows until they're lying in the street next to the construction zone, and it's obvious when the girl rides her bike past Zebra, casting a shadow while he does not. Since Zebra's arm cast a shadow on his body when the backhoe allowed light into the room, I think rather than dying from the CO and pills, they were killed when the ceiling collapsed on them.]
the-antihero

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:36 am Reply with quote
My overly simplified review of Paranoia Agent:

IT'S BORING!! Ending makes no sense.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9 is, for me, far and away the weakest episode PA has to offer. I heard mentions that it's really just a collection of unused ideas Kon wanted to insert, but I don't think it's pulled off all that well.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:16 pm Reply with quote
"Take a rest!"
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:54 pm Reply with quote
I remember when I first found out about Shirobako, I thought about this episode of Paranoia Agent. Only...not a horror series.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Huh. Definitely going to have to give this one a rewatch; I remember feeling almost the opposite of Nick during this episode, so I wonder if my takeaway was just naive back then or if I just didn't fully grasp what was going on.
Carlooo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:25 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I remember being really impressed by Taeko Ikari when I saw PA years ago. I liked this episode very much for portraying real life problems and good people just trying to overcome those problems.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:51 am Reply with quote
Considering the episode's name is "No Entry," I think Shonen Bat was the real deal in this episode. This would be the first case where we see Shonen Bat arriving to try to deliver a person away from their daily frustrations but utterly failing, and if he's the actual Shonen Bat (and I think he is), then it means he can only attack someone who has given up. As Mrs. Ikari refuses to give up, Shonen Bat cannot attack her. She is off limits--as the title states, he cannot enter her mind.

It also means this is the first episode that indicates Shonen Bat must follow rules to his own behavior and that he doesn't just go around finding people in despair and hitting them with his bat.

That being said, I've only seen this episode once, and I think I missed much of it. My mom was watching it with me, and she was asking a lot of questions about what was going on, who everybody was, and for some reason, what was going to happen (she does this a lot, and I can't explain why).
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:09 pm Reply with quote
I never saw anything comforting in taking advice from what is either a figment of imagination or the physical embodiment of a mental breakdown. Especially when it's in the form of a talking cartoon dog. Even "Homer, find your soul mate!" has a bad ring to it.

Sure, in the previous episode, we had the other/same/what? figment get beaten up by a woman dying of cancer. Because? He has a bat, he hits people with it and then disappears. No Entry? Shouldn't it be called "No Exit"? This would have worked for me if the guy was the disease and not just a symptom... or maybe I should just say "I will live!" can't trump "I'm going to get hit with a bat, aren't I?" in the presence of someone wielding a baseball bat. Most likely you wouldn't die from it, right?

You know, what was once a great sprawling tale of urban spiritual decay of interconnected lives became not only a story specific to a single person but a really dumb one at that, and its effect that...

Oh right, we're still not there yet.

"Little Slugger" should have remained an enigma, an unsolved case of group paranoia bringing a physical urban legend into existence. It could have been based on a lie, more likely based on someone seeing someone go home from a baseball game, a lie that spiraled out of control as each person put their own spin on it.

No, what we got was Maromi, Radio Man, Little Slugger being whacked instead.... funny how mass hysteria works in this series. Group consciousness gave him power up to the point where a single old women said "No" to him because the writer said it was so.... and that final bit of business.

His story, his rules. My own take on the last few episodes is more along the lines of "What do you mean we have to resolve the Little Slugger plotline? We spent the last few episodes trying to get people to forget that whole mess. Ok, we'll do a series of twists... the unstoppable be stopped, the unexplainable be explained and the unimaginable..."

Next episode.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8