• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Non Non Biyori Repeat

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:40 am Reply with quote
Of course, one minor downside of creating new stories set within the same time period of the previous series is that the original season episodes that take place after this episode in the newly-combined chronology will obviously not contain elements first introduced in second season episodes, since, well, they were made almost 2 years ago.

I'm specifically referring to Renge's bicycle. Renge's a very independent girl for her young age who likes to explore her environment with no trepidation or fear, and Asahigaoka village and the surrounding hills and woods are perfectly safe for her to roam around in, so getting her first bicycle should be a life-changing event for her, enabling her to go even farther.

But you never actually see Renge riding her brand new bicycle in any of the first season episodes set after episode 4 of the second season. (I'm guessing episode 4 of the first season actually takes place just after this episode.) In fact, the only time Renge even sort of rides any sort of bike in the first season is when Kaede "Candy Store" Kagayama is pushing her home in the seat of Kaede's own motorscooter.

It's not really a problem, the first season episodes stand on their own, and obviously I wouldn't want Lucas-esque "Special Edition" versions of the first season episodes with elements from the second season awkwardly inserted retroactively, but Renge's bicycle, which, I presume, will make return appearances later on this season, will now be an obvious indication that you're watching a second season episode if you're someone like me who is totally planning on watching both seasons' episodes again in combined chronological order once this season is over.

(Come to think of it, the only one of the five kids you ever see riding a bicycle in the first season is Suguru Koshigaya, since it's a convenient sister-retrieval device. You'd think they'd all be shown riding bikes since they live in a sparsely-populated area with a bus that only serves the area a couple of times a day.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sunflower

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4 was stunning. I loved how the shots were all so simple, many of them not even containing the characters, just showcasing nature and letting it reflect what was happening inside Renge. So many shots just hit me in the heart, Renge's back when she stood there in the rain looking at the grave. I cried just seeing that because her stillness, rare for her, said everything. This was masterfully done.
leeoflittlefaith

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:48 pm Reply with quote
It was a really good episode that reminded me exactly why I watch this show. Like the last season's emotional episode I feel like it stands entirely on its own and I could show it to anyone without context, and it would still hit hard.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:29 am Reply with quote
Ep 5 review wrote:
A great deal of time and talent went into the background art in this show, so it's hard to blame the creators for wanting to show it all off.

Actually I think the background settings can be counted as a fifth main character. We are damn near the point where you could take out all the foreground characters and voice track and you would still have something people would watch.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5 of Non Non Biyori Repeat sounds like it's another episode that slightly parallels the corresponding episode from the first season without copying it (s1 e5 = beach episode, s2 e5 = pool cleaning episode & then drying off after rain; common theme "water").

Also, Kaede flashbacks are the best flashbacks, although I'm not expecting this one to be as poignant or as sweet as the babysitting story from the first season. (I say "expecting" because I won't actually see this episode until next Monday, when it becomes a free stream at Crunchyroll.)

EDIT, Monday, August 10th: Oh, nevermind, I finally saw the episode and there weren't any Kaede flashbacks. I hope we get another one this season, like if they go back even further in time than the one last season so that Kazuho's still at junior high at Asahigaoka branch school and Kaede's late elementary school.

I really liked the okonomiyaki cooking demonstration scene. Kaede looks to be every bit as good a cook as Haruka Minami from Minami-ke even if Rina Satou uses a much huskier voice for Kaede than the sweet voice she uses for Haruka.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mgosdin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:52 am Reply with quote
I have to say that Hotaru's common sense regarding jumping off the bridge has a lot to speak for itself.

In the early 1990's I built a special computer for use by a high school boy who took a leap into a local creek in Oklahoma and would never walk or have the use of his hands again.

Yes, it can be a safe thing to do what the kids do in EP. 7 and jump into a creek, but it can also be beyond dangerous. It is a life lesson.

Mark Gosdin
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:45 am Reply with quote
Jensen wrote:
The notable exception is Hotaru, who lets common sense and good judgment get in the way of having a good time.

mgoadin wrote:
I have to say that Hotaru's common sense regarding jumping off the bridge has a lot to speak for itself.

I think there was a bit more at stake there than just a good time. It had all the marks of a local rite of passage. It would be surprising if the parents of the girls had not done the same thing.

It was rather remarkable that Hotaru picked up on this in spite of absolutely not being pressured into jumping by anyone. Nobody makes fun of her. No subtle remarks about not being accepted. These are really nice kids.

mgoadin that is really awful to read about what happened to your friend but I still think Hotaru and the generations of kids before her made the right choice. Growing up anywhere and particularly in the country entails some risk and there are all sorts of bad things that might happen to any of those girls in that setting. They wander around the countryside well outside supervision all the time and apparently alone sometimes. That particular bridge jump seems to be a pretty well tested stunt and little more risk than a local swimming pool's high jump would be.
Merida

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:22 am Reply with quote
This episode was pretty nostalgic. When i grew up in the countryside we basically were outside playing unsupervised all day long after school. The younger kids more or less learned "common sense" by watching the older ones. We did stuff like jumping off bridges or trees all the time and nobody ever got seriously hurt as far as i remember.
Great Rumbler

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
This episode was pretty nostalgic. When i grew up in the countryside we basically were outside playing unsupervised all day long after school. The younger kids more or less learned "common sense" by watching the older ones. We did stuff like jumping off bridges or trees all the time and nobody ever got seriously hurt as far as i remember.

Sure, there is a danger in that, and most everybody has some story of somebody they knew or a friend-of-a-friend situation where things went really badly, but growing up in rural places this is the kinds of things that kids did and still do. I made forts with my friends, climbed trees, went exploring, and all that. My dad had stories, too, and so does my grandpa [who did far crazier things than I ever did].
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:12 pm Reply with quote
One thing I kind of liked about last week's episode (which I only saw yesterday because of the 1-week delay for the free stream) was how the academic underachiever Natsumi actually has excellent knowledge of local flora and fauna despite doing poorly on biology exams.

I guess she's the sort of person, like Bart Simpson in the classic Simpsons episode "Bart Gets an F", for whom "applied knowledge" really applies. Also, it could be that she's confused by scientific terms.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Great episode this week-- felt stronger than the previous two. (Coming home to this show after work on Mondays truly gives you a healing anime experience, haha.) Gotta ask, did anyone else catch how the story of Hotaru racking up the nerve to jump off the bridge was, in some respects, a callback to a scene out of the the first OP of Non Non Biyori, the first season?

It's real neat that moment (presumably hailing from the manga) got adapted into a whole episode. I wonder if the staff had intended to do such an episode in the first series, but didn't find the room to. In that regard, the idea of "Repeat" is a cool idea-- just fill some of the cour out with happenings that for whatever reason weren't animated the first time around!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Animerican14 wrote:
Gotta ask, did anyone else catch how the story of Hotaru racking up the nerve to jump off the bridge was, in some respects, a callback to a scene out of the the first OP of Non Non Biyori, the first season?

By chance I re-watched the first season's OP song after watching the episode, and noticed such things as Renge making Ter Teru Bozu and the bridge thing, and thought it was kind of cool.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:41 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I'm personally wondering if the shot from the first season's opening where the other girls are dressing Renge up in a kimono for what, I presume, is a Shichi-Go-San ceremony (November 15th), will be expanded upon in a future episode.
leeoflittlefaith

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:48 am Reply with quote
The photo of Koma-chan in a kimono is my new desktop wallpaper.
BassKuroi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:29 pm Reply with quote
I love Hotaru being self-conscious about Koma-chan-senpai plushies.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5