• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Ushio & Tora

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:17 pm Reply with quote
>looks at the home page
>episode 20's review is up
The guy reviewing wrote:
"If you get to the end of this episode without crying, you're tougher than me."

I found it more expositiony than anything and since the characters acted mostly with rage I wouldn't have expected sadness to be the response. To each their own I suppose, I find that the series has gotten less interesting since the forest yokai slaying bonanza, it really could use more creatures as awesome as Ayakashi again. Sad

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:49 am Reply with quote
ep 21,

I want to see more scenes with the Hakumen no Mono, she (calling it a she since it's always using a woman's body, seen both genders used when referring to it) has gotten little to no screen time up until the last couple episodes, but is pretty cool as far as a villain goes. The fact that she has a plan to take out the spear user with a pawn that she raised shows she isn't just some mindless beast, she knows how to think ahead.

looking forward to the final battle between them
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Why did that kid, that was bragging about his weapon, not fight the avatar? H e only attacked it after it got turned to stone.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Akiba smooching Tora is quite possibly the single best part of Ep. 22. XD
malvarez1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:15 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Why did that kid, that was bragging about his weapon, not fight the avatar? H e only attacked it after it got turned to stone.

I know, right? He kept bragging about how strong he was, but he basically only killed the creature after the old lady all but finished it off.
Dop.L

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Episode 24 was a fun episode and cements Mayuko and Tora as OTP of the show, but in a very sweet and innocent and platonic way.
tsNirvash

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Dop.L wrote:
Episode 24 was a fun episode and cements Mayuko and Tora as OTP of the show, but in a very sweet and innocent and platonic way.

Their relationship may be platonic right now, but since Tora not only spoiler[revealed that he can take human form (albeit currently only Mayuko's form)], but also spoiler[said that as long as he gets to eat Mayuko, he'll say the marriage vows as many times as she wants], I think there's relationship potential here. Especially since it's been clear for a while that spoiler[Tora isn't interested in eating anyone anymore.]

I also give this episode major points, because I was consistently laughing throughout it. spoiler[The hamburger bride? Priceless.]
malvarez1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Oh man, yes! I was so worried the wedding chapters would be skipped by the show, so I'm stoked they included it.

And oh, to the writer, this episode definitely isn't filler, because this was in the manga.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:18 pm Reply with quote
malvarez1 wrote:
And oh, to the writer, this episode definitely isn't filler, because this was in the manga.

It certainly felt like filler to me, despite this.
Andrew Cunningham

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:15 pm Reply with quote
They're also abridging the manga reasonably heavily to get the entire story done in 39 episodes, so it's pretty safe to assume if it made it into the anime it's important.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Episode 25

I think the evil scientists in Kagewani fled to Ushio & Tora this week, bringing the same ill-advised ideas along with them. Evil scientists never learn.

It was a little annoying that Tora was right - Asako did forget about him, even though she had a string (hair) tied around her finger to remind her.
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:57 am Reply with quote
okay... so they've skipped the Western Bakemono War arc and now they're going to skip from the HAMMR arc directly to The Wind Blows, skipping the Resurrection of the Beast Horde arc which is kind of important...

damn, and here I was hoping for a proper anime adaption of Ushio & Tora...

I mean, trimming off some "fat" is one thing, but you don't want to trim off some of the best (and somewhat important) "meat" with it.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:54 pm Reply with quote
^ Darn, I didn't realize they were skipping so much. Kind of a shame they're working with such a limited number of episodes (relative to the length of the source material, anyway).
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:24 pm Reply with quote
^ That's the downside of adapting a lesser known Manga like this, you can only get the funds for so much, unlike Hunter X Hunter for comparison, that was popular enough for a 100% adaptation.

On the plus side, if I hadn't of read that content was cut, I wouldn't of noticed. I may of later on though.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:36 pm Reply with quote
I think it's impressive that they are actually doing the whole series, sure stuff is getting cut out but most anime series don't make it past a single 12 or 13 episode season, even those that are currently very popular in their manga/novel form.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 12