• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Anime Insiders Share How Much Producing a Season Costs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:39 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
People running around a jungle doing pointless things cost that much? Overpaid actors.

Actually, being the first season they weren't paid very much, typical of such shows.

What really made the pilot episode be so expensive was building the set of the crash site.

As Wikipedia explains it:

The purchasing, shipping, and dressing of the aircraft body accounted for most of the pilot's budget, which at an estimated $10 to $14 million was the most expensive pilot episode up to that time.

So yeah, no need to get snarky about the salaries of the actors and actresses when it was the set that was the real star.

Wrangler wrote:
Overblown fears

Hey now. no need to panic. The anime industry is in a slight slump at the moment but it's still profitable and going well in terms of historical levels.

Also, expensive body pillows being sold out so quickly is a sign of good health, not sickness.
reanimator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:01 am Reply with quote
GalicianNightmare wrote:
Also, why doesn't anime have real mouth movements? For all this talk of "realistic physics" where's the mouth movements. Lip syncing is easy. EVERY AMERICAN CARTOON HAS IT!

That's because American 2D animations record voice BEFORE animating mouth movement. Animating various mouth movements while trying to match syllables is more time consuming than just recording voice while finished/semi finished mouth movement is running.

To my knowledge, Akira was only one that did western style lip synch as it is feature film and there is no way for TV production to have money for such thing.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:39 am Reply with quote
Matsuo Kou is known for recording the voices first. You can hear it in Kurenai, episode three, in the three-way conversation in the hallway. I'm pretty sure Red Garden was recorded first as well.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:00 pm Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
To my knowledge, Akira was only one that did western style lip synch as it is feature film and there is no way for TV production to have money for such thing.

You're right that anime television series aren't able to laboriously animate proper mouth movements, but Akira is hardly the only anime movie which has done this. In fact, heaps of movies have this feature, plus a number of OVAs as well. It's not money but time that is the biggest issue, and movies and OVAs, with their more sedate production pace, can afford timewise to at least attempt proper lip synch.
Buzz201

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:18 am Reply with quote
EyeOfPain wrote:
Buzz201 wrote:
Fortunately, Aniplex of America seem to realise this and have allowed significant discounts on UK releases of their titles.
The UK and Japan also have different BD region codes, so that likely plays a factor.

Different BD region to Japan, but same DVD region, so obvious there's a bit of market consideration going on.
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:09 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
egoist wrote:
People running around a jungle doing pointless things cost that much? Overpaid actors.

Actually, being the first season they weren't paid very much, typical of such shows.

What really made the pilot episode be so expensive was building the set of the crash site.

As Wikipedia explains it:

The purchasing, shipping, and dressing of the aircraft body accounted for most of the pilot's budget, which at an estimated $10 to $14 million was the most expensive pilot episode up to that time.

So yeah, no need to get snarky about the salaries of the actors and actresses when it was the set that was the real star.

Clearly they overpaid it. Who cared about the airplane at the time? Maybe I'm being snarky because the actors were so amateurish and I didn't care about or knew what the pieces of an airplane looked like. As if many if any people would, after a crash. I doubt the acting on the pilot was even on par with textbook plane crash acting. I watched a lot of that show and a lot of it is pure rubbish. They could easily tell the whole thing in half a season.

Yes, they may have spent a lot on the pilot. Definitely more than they needed if they had better planning. Which clearly makes them fools.
Hyperdrve

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:45 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Yes, they may have spent a lot on the pilot. Definitely more than they needed if they had better planning. Which clearly makes them fools.

I may be speaking out of ignorance but if I were a TV exec producer and had access to 14 million dollars I'd make sure to use all of it. I'd think that if I didn't use all of the budget the next time I came around to the same sources for funding they'd give me less because I had previously shown that I could do the same job with less money.
Mikeski

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Hyperdrve wrote:
egoist wrote:

I may be speaking out of ignorance but if I were a TV exec producer and had access to 14 million dollars I'd make sure to use all of it. I'd think that if I didn't use all of the budget the next time I came around to the same sources for funding they'd give me less because I had previously shown that I could do the same job with less money.

Nah, there are always more exec producers. And networks. They have to compete with each other to some extent. If you save $1 million, you've got your 1st $1 million "profit", and you look like you do quality work.

You're describing how government procurement works. (The same way they can describe a 6% boost to the budget of the Department of Left-pawed Poodles as a "2% budget cut," because it got an 8% boost last year...)
Hyperdrve

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:41 pm Reply with quote
^
Yeah that makes sense. I'd forgotten that the private sector actually follows the laws of economics.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7