• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Manga Series Focuses on Real-Life Nagasaki Atomic Bomb Survivor

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:15 pm Reply with quote
While I can see why people might use atomic bombs, stories like these is why I essentially am a little of being both for and against it. The author is a second-generation survivor, so it is somewhat autobiographical for him since he actually wasn't there when it happened. The fact that he also based off of a friend who did survive the tragedy essentially makes it a semi-autobiographical, semi-biographical story.
Razor/Edge

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:32 am Reply with quote
I'm still shocked by how America isn't universally hated across all of Japan. Considering what a horrible thing America did to them, I would expect that hate to last, even 70 years later.
GlassesMan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:31 am Reply with quote
I'm hoping this will be powerful, but because of the event its based off of, the author's going to need a lot of insight and maturity to pull it off well. If done right this could be really deep. It will probably ignite a lot of controversies though. I personally find this difficult to talk about because I feel that the bombing reeked far too much of total warfare to ever be right, but my friends will respond with the estimated 1 million lives that would have been lost in standard warfare. So it's tough.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:20 am Reply with quote
This is an interesting piece of work. At first I thought it was Tatsumi, but it's not. But his work does resemble the "gekiga" author. This would be an interesting piece of work that needs to be seen.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:43 am Reply with quote
Razor/Edge wrote:

I'm still shocked by how America isn't universally hated across all of Japan. Considering what a horrible thing America did to them, I would expect that hate to last, even 70 years later.

Considering the possible alternatives (e.g. mainland invasion, divided into the Iron Curtain, etc.) and what happened afterwards (e.g. they get to keep the Emperor, rise of Japan Inc. from the 1960s, no more war), they learned things could had turned out worse and let bygones. The same could be said of England and Germany after what they did to each other (e.g. firebombing of London and Dresden).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1