• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Mahō Shōjo Ikusei Keikaku Magical Girl Survival Novels Gets Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:49 am Reply with quote
This sounds interesting. If anything it made me think of Mai-HiME, though I suppose that had a more monster guardian-assisted flavor whereas this is more direct-combat from the girls themselves.

Either way, bring it on.

Also in regards to the "It's remotely like Madoka, so I hate it even though I've seen literally jack-all about it except the premise!!" I have to say... lmao.
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:25 am Reply with quote
I generally try to stress how the temptation should be resisted to cast anything remotely similar in the magical girl genre, to Madoka. Many of the series that get lumped under that umbrella of being a Madoka clone tend to be simply minute similarities, or are series that themselves predate Madoka itself, albeit in a non-anime form.

That being said, the similarities are a bit more glaring here than the others. Even the art style and design for the girls is highly similar to Madoka. Now, I don't know enough about the series so I can't say if it was going before Madoka dropped, but the explicit nature of the turn to a dark side, the implication that there is some nefarious person in the shadows responsible for there even being magic, possible entirely for some exotic energy gathering, the likelihood that this will have a ton of gore, this is setting up to be the most similar iteration of Madoka we have seen yet. Doesn't mean it can't be good, but the recent saturation of this sub-genre is risking moving to over-saturation.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:29 am Reply with quote
Anther dark magical girl series
Artesox

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:30 am Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
-post-

Uh, first I'd like to say that this whole Moe that suddenly turns dark thing has been around for a long, long while in the form of stuff like Higurashi and Elfen Lied (Which was promoted as a harem anime with a cute girl originally). On that case I think Madoka was merely another one of the works joining the trend.

Now, about Madoka, I don't think its main wave on the industry is creating on how dark it was but on how Otaku focused it was. Of course before you had successes like Precure and Nanoha but producers didn't know exactly what to make out of if, StrikerS reaching 20k in sales was mostly seen as a green light to Mecha Musume instead of Magical Girls.

After Madoka however it became crystal clear that yes, Otaku focused Mahou Shoujo could work as well as anything, so producers were naturally more interested in having those kind of stories. Genei for example was in production before Madoka, but the producers had no faith it was marketable.

And that is the whole X of the question, before these kinds of stories were confined to cheap mangas and LNs (Classic example, Magical Paddler Roma had faustian bargain, a magical girl and a cute yet deceitful white cat mascot thing, but without marketing and visibility it never went anywhere) now the producers are actually seeking them.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:04 am Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
Artesox wrote:
Ah, where we would be without the "muh muhdoka" post? Laughing

I kinda wish Mahou Shoujo of the End would get adapted just to see the looks on people's faces. "This is just another crappy Madoka clo--wait, did she just blow up that guy's head?"

spoiler[Killing of half the main cast in the first few chaps ] was fun.
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix wrote:
This sounds interesting. If anything it made me think of Mai-HiME, though I suppose that had a more monster guardian-assisted flavor whereas this is more direct-combat from the girls themselves.

Either way, bring it on.

Also in regards to the "It's remotely like Madoka, so I hate it even though I've seen literally jack-all about it except the premise!!" I have to say... lmao.

I knew I couldn't be the only one remembering Mai-HiME. Well, that was awesome. A true Battle Royale. Unlike most people, I don't mind the ending that much.

About Madoka, I love Madoka, and it has a place in my heart. It had a major impact in anime, but... it surely is not the first magical girl with dark undertones. Never watched Princess Tutu, but I intend to, but I do also have unconditional love for Utena.

And about the more recent shows... am I the only one that actually doesn't find them bad? Yuki Yuna in particular scored high with me.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Hellsoldier wrote:
And about the more recent shows... am I the only one that actually doesn't find them bad? Yuki Yuna in particular scored high with me.

I think, just like anything else, they vary in quality from show to show. I didn't think much of Day Break Illusion, but I thought Yuki Yuna was decent, and I know I'm not the only one on this site who liked Wixoss more than Madoka.

Honestly, though, I don't see this whole "post-Madoka" dark moe thing as anything particularly out of the ordinary. Long before Madoka, we had Shadow Star Narutaru and a glut of other "edgy" takes on popular children's anime genres. It's not surprising that these shows sell well: they remind people of the shows they watched when they were kids, but have that "cartoons for adults" feel that makes anime so attractive to teenagers.

Madoka made a lot of money, though, and any time a show makes a lot of money, there will be a rush to green-light similar franchises. Think about all the dark mecha shows that followed Evangelion, the lesbian schoolgirl shows aimed at Maria Watches Over Us fans, the Shana clones, the SAO imitators... this is nothing new. Those shows weren't really that groundbreaking, either... they were just popular enough to spawn waves of "me too" shows, some of which were good, and some of which weren't.

If you're sick of all the magical girl stuff, just wait a year or two. It will probably be all monster girl idol shows by then or something.
Artesox

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:39 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
If you're sick of all the magical girl stuff, just wait a year or two. It will probably be all monster girl idol shows by then or something.

Probably Idol Mahou Shoujou Monster Girls
maxwell3094

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:54 pm Reply with quote
So something like Btoom or Future Diary but with magical girls then? Sure why not. I do love these bloody survival game stories. Feels like there is not that many of them in anime actually which is a shame.
SweetCoconut

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:45 pm Reply with quote
PTWWW
consignia

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Rederoin wrote:
...Mahou Shoujo of the End...
spoiler[Killing of half the main cast in the first few chaps ] was fun.

spoiler[Bringing them all back a few chapters later] was less fun.
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Sounds neat enough. I'm all for dark magical girls.

There's been some interesting conversation in this thread regarding the "dark version of a normal genre" thing, and it has indeed been going on for quite a long time, its not a new thing. If anything, the Madoka-inspired works' real problems aren't that they're dark, but more that they're magical girl shows. There's lots of other genres we can eff up too, yknow! This has been seen before though, if you guys recall the number of psychological mecha shows that launched following Evangelion.

...In any case, I'm interested in this, it could be cool. The whole "raising" thing applied to real girls combined with the dark premise makes me feel like this might have some kind of social critique in it, but I'm probably just hoping too hard. Not everyone has Ikuhara's bravery or awareness, sadly.
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:12 am Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Hellsoldier wrote:

I think, just like anything else, they vary in quality from show to show. I didn't think much of Day Break Illusion, but I thought Yuki Yuna was decent, and I know I'm not the only one on this site who liked Wixoss more than Madoka.

Honestly, though, I don't see this whole "post-Madoka" dark moe thing as anything particularly out of the ordinary. Long before Madoka, we had Shadow Star Narutaru and a glut of other "edgy" takes on popular children's anime genres. It's not surprising that these shows sell well: they remind people of the shows they watched when they were kids, but have that "cartoons for adults" feel that makes anime so attractive to teenagers.

Madoka made a lot of money, though, and any time a show makes a lot of money, there will be a rush to green-light similar franchises. Think about all the dark mecha shows that followed Evangelion, the lesbian schoolgirl shows aimed at Maria Watches Over Us fans, the Shana clones, the SAO imitators... this is nothing new. Those shows weren't really that groundbreaking, either... they were just popular enough to spawn waves of "me too" shows, some of which were good, and some of which weren't.

They will probably be a monster girl wave... Monster Musume and all. Either that or sadist girl series.

But anywho, I actually have a strongly positive view of both Yuki Yuna and WIXOSS (glad a movie's coming up: that ending left me with more questions than answers). I really loved the characters from both shows. I even enjoyed Akira. I found Akira's bitchy and psychotic nature interesting.

As for Day Break Illusion... I actually enjoyed it more than most people... Which is why I agonize the fact that it wasn't better than what it ended p being. Rushed pacing, some things too easily solved, the animation could fare better, inconlusive ending, and some traumas just too easily overcomed.

Madoka is really this generation's Evangelion. I actually watched Rahxephon which came years after Eva. What's happening now is no different from back then... Can we consider Bokurano a product of that Eva influence?
championferret

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:56 am Reply with quote
As much as I'm getting really sick of both 'the game's twist is that they all have to kill eachother' and 'a magical show BUT ITS REALLY DARK!!', I'm...probably going to watch this, because as ho-hum as it's slowly starting to become I'm still a sucker for the 'gradually dwindling cast' fiction trope... Embarassed

I just hope it doesn't get too...gross? I mean I know this is going to be a series that takes sadistic joy in young girls suffering, so I hope it just doesn't go overboard with that. While I tend to enjoy this trashy formula because it's really fun guessing 'who's gonna die next? who's gonna live'?, so many of these Survival anime drop the ball by being as exploitative as possible. I'm out if it tries to present all the girls deaths as something erotic.
LiteMangime

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:09 am Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
I read the LN awhile ago.

Link please? Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3