• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2015 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rederoin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Rivailloli wrote:
I'm excited to see that Valkyrie Drive anime to finally stream because I want to see if will get torn apart in the preview guide. Only thing funnier than watching a train wreck will be reading other people's thoughts on it. In particular, I wanna see if Zac will dislike it and post another one of his funny reviews on it.

Course the show may shock everyone and be decent, but... I'm hoping it's god awful for the funny comments.

Those who are expecting it to be bad are clearly not in the demopgraphic that show will aimed at. As such, I think for those who are, its best to just ignore those opinions.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:49 pm Reply with quote
A small note about Shinmai Maō no Testament BURST -- it appears that would be 10-episodes long. The news article from the official site mentions that there'll be 5 home-media (BD & DVD) volumes...
Quote:
〇対象商品
「新妹魔王の契約者 BURST」Blu-rayまたはDVD限定版 第1~5巻(とらのあな限定版を含む)
[DVD & BD limited edition vol. 1-5]
...and each volume will have 2 episodes
Quote:
<Blu-ray第1巻>
価格:7,600円(税抜) 品番:KAXA-7291 JAN:4988111904836
1080p 16:9/リニアPCM(STEREO)/日本/2015年/カラー/1層ディスク1枚/2話収録
<DVD限定版第1巻>
価格:6,600円(税抜)品番:KABA-10420 JAN:4988111904881
16:9スクイーズ/リニアPCM(STEREO)/日本/2015年/カラー/片面1層ディスク1枚/2話収録
[includes 2 episodes]

I was expecting a 12-episode run... Oh well.
RHorsman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Everybody who's all "OH NO HULU": you know they have an ad-free tier now, right? Same price as Crunchyroll premium, gets you a ton of shows, Criterion collection movies, etc.:

http://www.hulu.com/nocommercials

(However Viz and Daisuki's use of the caption channel for subtitles does not look good on my Roku at all at all)
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:48 pm Reply with quote
RHorsman wrote:
Everybody who's all "OH NO HULU": you know they have an ad-free tier now, right? Same price as Crunchyroll premium, gets you a ton of shows, Criterion collection movies, etc.:

How does $8/mo. = $14/mo.? Same does mean "same", right?
RHorsman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
RHorsman wrote:

Hulu without ads is $11.95. Isn't that what Crunchy premium is these days? Or CR+ or whatever they're calling it now?
Key

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:52 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
There is no need to emasculate him (it seemed like they wanted to smooth him out completely down there, so emasculation is the correct term over castration, which is just the balls).

Yeah, "emasculate" was the word I actually meant there.

The whole "school isolated from society" thing didn't bother me too much because that's a relatively common theme in yuri anime (see Strawberry Panic, amongst others), but a modern teenage girl from a highly privileged background not even knowing about the existence of cell/smart phones? Please. There's only so far that you can strain credulity.

Or, if you want to look at it from a much uglier angle, that's a fairly heinous way to cage in and control your daughters.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Rivailloli

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Rederoin wrote:

Those who are expecting it to be bad are clearly not in the demopgraphic that show will aimed at. As such, I think for those who are, its best to just ignore those opinions.

Demographic doesn't matter when it comes to laughing at something that's dumb. If it bothers you that much that people don't like the same shit you do maybe you should take your own advice and ignore those opinions.
7PhoenixAshes

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:58 pm Reply with quote
This show was just cringeworthy on every level.

Most importantly, though, is this institution even a school? It's more like a prison! If the students are so isolated that they've never experienced normal society, it must mean that they cannot and never do leave campus!
And what does it say about the girls' parents for leaving them in such a place? What do they expect their daughters to do with an education that leaves them so socially crippled? Spend the rest of their lives as ornamental objects or trophy wives?

Also, for being a "proper" girls' school, they sure skimp on the uniforms. One would think they'd have ankle-length skirts rather than thin, skintight mini-dresses...
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Or, if you want to look at it from a much uglier angle, that's a fairly heinous way to cage in and control your daughters.

That's actually the angle I got from reading the manga. Haven't watched the anime (nor do I plan on it), so maybe they spun things a little more light hearted, or I was seeing things as I saw fit to begin with.
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Well, this season is going to be interesting. The shows that I am following for sure are the following (pardon the redundancy):

-Comet Lucifer: Originals tend to be on average better, and the first episode looks promising. Beautiful animation and likable characters. And really, a female character that doesn't have the stereotypical reactions that I most hate? That's a bonus.

-Concrete Revolutio: Choujin Gensou: I love the concept, and the first episode left me more intrigued than confused. I almost seems like a new-wave of Super-Hero Anime. I have already watched Gatchaman Crowds (thanks Nick Creamer, for your Top 30 anime list) and I am yet to watch Samurai Flamenco.

-K: Return of Kings: It is the second season of a show I watched, so I had to... But I wasn't all that impressed by the first episode of this second season, and no, I don't remember this abundance of fanservice.

-Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans: This is looking awesome. Okada-sama, please cleanse me from my memories of G-Reco, and also, cleanse me of my bad memories of your work M3.

-Seraph of the End: Battle of Nagoya: I wonder how this show will end.

-Beautiful Bones: Sakurako's Investigation: I am creeped out with carcasses, corpses and bones, and yet, I think I'm already hooked on it. Gotta love Sakurako.

-Yuru Yuri San Hai: What can I say: I like Yuru Yuri.

-Valkyrie Drive: Mermaid: If you're going to be trashy, at least go all out, and preferably don't bring dumb characters. Ange sure as hell wasn't dumb (albeit one or two of her reactions are stereotypical). I welcome the extremely trashy. I welcomed Mnemosyne and even with spoiler[the freaking dragon people[/b]] I welcomed Cross Ange (besides, I love stories about the underdog, even though I have to question quite a few things regarding this show...).

-Garo: Guren no Tsuki: I am anxious for this. It seems I like period dramas.

-Tantei Team KZ Jiken Note: I liked it. That is all.

I was going to watch Asterisk Wars but pretty animation isn't everything. (By the way, yes the Asterix comic books are fairly well known where I come from. Also, I do not need such a sexist display of stupidity as Shomin Sample.

I will consider watching Dance with Devils if it turns out to be great 3 episodes from now.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Rivailloli wrote:
Rederoin wrote:

Demographic doesn't matter when it comes to laughing at something that's dumb. If it bothers you that much that people don't like the same shit you do maybe you should take your own advice and ignore those opinions.

Demographic does not matter, or this this your first day to Entertainment marketing?
I mean its obvious not everybody will enjoy it, and those outside the target demographic will not even be interested in it.

i.e Most of ANN
TheBlackGirlGamer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Seraph of the end, haikyuu k project norahami and one punch man is on my list.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:49 pm Reply with quote
RHorsman wrote:
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
RHorsman wrote:

Hulu without ads is $11.95. Isn't that what Crunchy premium is these days? Or CR+ or whatever they're calling it now?

Sorry, I was a bit off, then:

CR's anime subscription (the only one worth getting, IMO) is about $7/mo. Hulu's ad free tier is $12/mo. That adds up to $60/year difference in cost, which isn't what I would call "the same" or close to it.

If you're talking about CR's premium+ membership, the chart on their site says it costs $12/mo, which *is* the same as Hulu, but I have zero interest in live-action dramas, so I'll never get that service. Instead, I have ad free anime service for the aforementioned $7/mo. Since we're talking about anime, I thought that was a more legit comparison than the premium+ stuff which adds things I'll never want or need.
faervas

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:22 pm Reply with quote
I happen to start reading the manga out of no where earlier this week unknown to me that "Shomin Sample" was going to release an anime in the next few day. I had the same sentiments as Theron Martin did in the anime review. So I stopped reading it in mid-chapter of the second chapter. In the misted of a bout of insomnia I picked up again. SPOILER FROM MANGA: spoiler[It has a dark under tone of these girls are prisoners in a gilded cage at times, but it is a school gag manga.] The idea of these anime is dumb but so is gilligan's island. I would say give it a chance. It just like watching episode 1 of most sitcom where you think what piece of junk but ran for years.

[Edit]: added spoiler tags. Errinundra.
Rivailloli

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Rederoin wrote:

Demographic does not matter, or this this your first day to Entertainment marketing?
I mean its obvious not everybody will enjoy it, and those outside the target demographic will not even be interested in it.

i.e Most of ANN

I'm not saying demographics don't matter in general. I'm saying that when you're laughing at something that is dumb it doesn't matter who it's aimed at.

[Edit]: removed personal comments. Please keep it nice, Rivailloli & Rederoin. Errinundra.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 30 of 37