• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Funimation Addresses Prison School Dub Comments Over Gamergate Line

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryasha

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:45 am Reply with quote
Hideki-Motosuwa wrote:
As usual, Funimation gives a piss poor response, avoids dealing with the situation, and goes on to piss people off even more. Don't ya just love this stuff?

Just gives people another reason to avoid today's English dubs.

Seems to me that the only people who this gives reason to are the people who already avoid dubs.

In any case, I see nothing wrong with the line. Comedy series get some script changes to fit the intended audience. It's not something unique to Funi and it's not something that they've suddenly started doing with Prison School. Sometimes it pays off and sometimes it doesn't. Same with adding in pop culture references.
Mexican Batman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:48 am Reply with quote
It's natural for localisation to adapt to the regional audience, and in this case Western anime fans probably relate more to GamerGate than say, the Japanese politician who cried at an apology. Then again GamerGate is pretty controversial even now, unlike the crying politician. This would not have happened if Funi had used a milder metaphor.

PS: Second news about Funi messing up. Am I seeing a pattern here?
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:49 am Reply with quote
There doesn't seem to be anyway for a win win situation to happen. I'm someone who prefers dubs so when the blurays release I'll watch the series with or without the line, and I really dont have a clue what this gamergate controversy is supposed to be but compared to the original line it doesn't it doesn't sound like a good idea to have included it in the first place. The best outcome would to probably redub the line since it can't be hard to redub a single line for at least the home video release.

Last edited by DuchessBianca on Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:49 am Reply with quote
Ryasha wrote:
Seems to me that the only people who this gives reason to are the people who already avoid dubs.

Thank you.
Gyropathic

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:57 am Reply with quote
Mexican Batman wrote:
It's natural for localisation to adapt to the regional audience, and in this case Western anime fans probably relate more to GamerGate than say, the Japanese politician who cried at an apology. Then again GamerGate is pretty controversial even now, unlike the crying politician. This would not have happened if Funi had used a milder metaphor.

I don't really mind the joke they made, it gave me a chuckle, the people who get offended so easily prolly shouldn't be watching series like these anyway.

On another note the Attack on Titan thing they said they caught before it happened, and only a few theaters had problems, which was confirmed.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:59 am Reply with quote
Weird, I can't seem to find the part where they actually address anything. They just danced around the issue like idiots. Way to not take a stance. Also, way to be professional.
RaylenCypher

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:09 am Reply with quote
Looks like the same thing that happens in the game community happens in the anime community as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPpBlDaKM_o

^After watching that, it's best to not give this "issue/controversy" attention if you hate it so much. But if you do, well then anime is getting more attention albeit in a very bad light.

EDIT: Link was too long.

Last edited by RaylenCypher on Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:10 am; edited 1 time in total
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:09 am Reply with quote
If this level of localization bothers you, I'd hate to see what you'd think of the Gundam movies... or D-Frag... or Ghost Stories.

Hell, even Sailor Mercury told Malachite to "go bleach your roots, creep" in the Sailor Moon dub.
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:12 am Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
If this level of localization bothers you, I'd hate to see what you'd think of the Gundam movies... or D-Frag... or Ghost Stories.

What did the D-frag dub change? I watched it a few months ago when I bought the LE and thought the dub was fantastic.
JuanTheBone

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:15 am Reply with quote
The Steven Fosters of the world need to realize that they are not real writers and have no creative input into the show.

I actually understand why 4kids or other children localized shows do what they do, but that excuse doesn't fly with Prison School.

You are not a real writer, people don't want to read your "creative" input or else you wouldn't be writing scripts for anime dubs.
Mexican Batman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:23 am Reply with quote
Gyropathic wrote:
Mexican Batman wrote:

I don't really mind the joke they made, it gave me a chuckle, the people who get offended so easily prolly shouldn't be watching series like these anyway.

On another note the Attack on Titan thing they said they caught before it happened, and only a few theaters had problems, which was confirmed.

Well, it's true that overly sensitive people shouldn't watch stuff like these. Then again, the Western societies have many of this easily-tickled people. Until proper desensitisation is made, viewer reaction, especially towards scandals and -gates, remain a difficult minefield.
LinkSword

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:32 am Reply with quote
So, 8+ lines of pointless PR crap.

That was a waste of reading time.

DmonHiro wrote:
Weird, I can't seem to find the part where they actually address anything. They just danced around the issue like idiots. Way to not take a stance. Also, way to be professional.

Pretty much this.
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:44 am Reply with quote
Quote:
In creating English dubs over the past 20+ years, FUNimation has always modified each Japanese script to appeal to Western audiences.

I know. That's sort of the reason why I generally dislike said dubs. If I wanted western humor, I'll watch the western cartoons I already do. Poetic license for flow is one thing, but there's limits. Though thankfully, they're not pressed as much as they used to be.

This response addresses nothing except to say that they change things whenever they fell like it. Hardly a press worthy statement. In other news, water is wet.

Cyclone1993 wrote:
If you drag real world issues into a dub for an anime and change the meaning of the line, it's pretty unforgivable. It doesn't make sense why they would even include that. If you make a cultural reference and in 5 years or so someone watches the dub and doesn't get it, then you probably should include a cultural reference. It will become dated, and won't reflect well on the product.

I understand they have some creative control on what's said, but this is stretching it a bit too far.

It's sort of like that now as I somehow missed the GamerGate controversy and already don't get the line. hence this kind of reference is lost on me in terms of "upping the appeal to western audiences." Embarassed

Last edited by Renaisance Otaku on Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:45 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
KamikazeJawa

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:45 am Reply with quote
neonie wrote:

They literally didn't address shit. They just gave some pussyfooted answer that doesn't tell anyone anything.

Yes because I'm sure if they did people would react in a calm and respectful manner with well-thought out responses unaffected by the growing mob-mentality like they are now!

.....That was sarcasm by the way, normally I'd think it would be obvious but almost everyone seems to have a screw loose tonight.

To me their "press release" basically says "We don't know why the hell we have to make a statement about something as stupid as this but you wouldn't shut up about it so here you go. We thought our fan base was more mature than your average 11 year old but apparently we were wrong."

Seriously, a script writer made one questionable script choice, realized that the people bombarding his twitter page had already made up their minds and didn't care about his side of the story at all and decided to troll them back. Apparently this somehow makes Funimation Anime Satan.

Also lol at all the people saying they're canceling their subscriptions over this as if this is anything more than an excuse to switch back to torrents for them.

Ryasha wrote:

Bingo!
Hyperdrve

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:54 am Reply with quote
That's why 99% of the time subs are superior. I really don't see why someone would indiscriminately prefer to get rid of the Japanese culture references. Unless they come up with a better line, there's no need to replace the Japanese culture references. The only anime I can say that the dub version is better are YYH, DBZ, and GTO. The sub and dub version for The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya and The Disapperance of Nagato Yuki-chan are equal because of Aya Hirano in the sub version and Crispin Freeman in the dub version.

Also I don't watch Prison School but that was a horrible political plug that they made for the dub version. What's next: "Vote Hillary 2016"? And the way Funimation addressed the situation left more to be wanted.

Last edited by Hyperdrve on Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:23 am; edited 1 time in total
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 17