• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Himo Zairu Manga Goes on Hiatus Due to Online Criticism

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:03 am Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Wow, this really drives home the latest Answerman's central points about how different media criticism can be in Japan.

Yeah, that's the first thing that came to mind when I saw this article's title. Considering that it seems to be a satire, this sort of criticism should be expected, and she should neither apologize nor feel bad about their opinions when the people she's lampooning get upset. The point of satire is to provoke and get people to question the world they live in.

When Barbra Streisand complained about the South Park episode "Mecha-Streisand" (which wasn't even satire), did Trey Parker and Matt Stone back down? Of course not. They decided Streisand would be their new recurring target and continued to prod her repeatedly through the show's run.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:19 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Wow, this really drives home the latest Answerman's central points about how different media criticism can be in Japan.

Yeah, that's the first thing that came to mind when I saw this article's title. Considering that it seems to be a satire, this sort of criticism should be expected, and she should neither apologize nor feel bad about their opinions when the people she's lampooning get upset. The point of satire is to provoke and get people to question the world they live in.

When Barbra Streisand complained about the South Park episode "Mecha-Streisand" (which wasn't even satire), did Trey Parker and Matt Stone back down? Of course not. They decided Streisand would be their new recurring target and continued to prod her repeatedly through the show's run.

Indeed.

One thing I learned in my life is no matter WHAT you say, someone out there is gonna try to take a piece out of you, for whatever reason. This isn't really in regards to the gender of the characters, being flipped or not. Someone's gonna have a problem either way. If by some miracle everyone was okay then someone is gonna crap on the art, then the art changes and someone will complain about that.

Complaints on the internet are as reliable as death and taxes, being able to deal with criticism. As far s I can tell the manga is being complained about for 'looking down on men' in a manga clearly about losers. There's lots of likable 'losers' in fiction, though.

Though the author does work on a lot of projects at the same time it is also listed. Even a breif pause to 'consider' or reflect upon complaints in the modern production schedule can lead to delays.

In the end, the author self-censored, which is just as dangerous as if others started to. At least we know that when the author gets back on track there will be no problem publishing it as normal. Or so it seems.
Camiru Mylle

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:37 am Reply with quote
jirg1901 wrote:
I came here to read comments made by people who hadn't read the manga but apparently know exactly how it portrays unemployed men. I was not disappointed.

Same.....*sigh*
Basically bring out this kind of topic and everyone goes crazeey.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:29 am Reply with quote
I don't think this topic is full of people going crazy, and I think many people contributing to the thread would like to refute the accusation that they've gone off the handle.

Such a knee-jerk reaction to people talking about issues that keeps happening on the internet is very much comparable to the author pulling their work from a magazine from a few complaints. A lot of human communication is completely lost online, it is better to give the benefit of the doubt that people commenting on a news thread aren't all "Up in arms," much like how this author should continue publication and not give in to what is the norm in media. Haters gonna hate, let's move along.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:36 am Reply with quote
jirg1901 wrote:
I came here to read comments made by people who hadn't read the manga but apparently know exactly how it portrays unemployed men. I was not disappointed.

Well now I'm curious. The premise seems fairly light and not really something to get upset about unless you really hate the idea of men not working and women providing for them, but the execution can totally make the whole thing awful. Care to shed a light?
Banken

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:51 am Reply with quote
FWIW, a woman writing about guys who decide to mooch off women is basically the same as a man writing about girls deciding to become gold diggers.

...or exactly like How to Marry a Millionaire.
jymmy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:24 am Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
Even manga isn't safe from people I disagree with politically now.

Oh man, every time.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:00 am Reply with quote
I guess it shouldn't surprise me that even Japan has ' people I disagree with politically '* sexist losers who can't stand the idea that a woman has something to say about male behavior. Troglodytes.

* wtf is this?! I don't disagree with them politically, I disagree with them ethically and morally.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:11 am Reply with quote
It's probably not a matter of the volume of complaints, but rather, who complained. If it's someone with connections that has the ability to affect the bottom line, I can understand why it's being pulled.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:14 am Reply with quote
Araki wrote:
Let's not be hypocrites. Same people calling this "silly" would be calling "sexism!!" if it was the other way around.

No, if it was the other way around people would consider it perfectly normal.

There would be a brief reveal at the beginning as to why her family couldn't support her and why they can't get married right away. The rest of the story would be about their relationship.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:47 am Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
It's probably not a matter of the volume of complaints, but rather, who complained. If it's someone with connections that has the ability to affect the bottom line, I can understand why it's being pulled.

It's probably death threats. Because that's these sort's MO.
Mr.Shonen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:14 am Reply with quote
Its a miss the mark overreaction. But at the same time I kind of have a sympathy for the anger.

"No money, not popular, no job. Because I'm useless at best, I'll become a himo! The curtain rises on Akiko Higashimura's himo-man training dojo!" A himo is a man who doesn't work and who is financially dependent on the women he goes out with.

I get it. If you're stuck in that kind of life without the relationship and you hear about a manga that depicts this lifestyle and the message is that your worth as a man now is to look pretty and find some woman to take care of you financially. It can be seen as an insult. Of course the reaction to this would be anger.

I would like to see the comments and see the level or criticism. Hopefully more than "rabble rabble this offends me".Its disappointing to see a manga get put on hiatus because of the backlash but thats the world we live in now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:32 am Reply with quote
Mr.Shonen wrote:
If you're stuck in that kind of life without the relationship and you hear about a manga that depicts this lifestyle and the message is that your worth as a man now is to look pretty and find some woman to take care of you financially. It can be seen as an insult. Of course the reaction to this would be anger.

But at the same time, how many stories, both in Japan and abroad, rely on the premise where some woman is dependent on a man, financially or otherwise? Why is it that we find these sorts of stories more socially acceptable, whereas the other way around, there's a public outcry?

It's like the whole "Stay-at-home Dad" concept. When women stay at home, no one cares because it's socially acceptable and considered "their job". But when men first started to consider this role for themselves, there was a huge public outcry in the US, with many believing that these men were 'weak' and being 'emasculated' by their women-folk.

Last edited by Cutiebunny on Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:33 am Reply with quote
jirg1901 wrote:

You act like a manga can't exaggerate. Have you read Princess Jellyfish? I didn't hear any Otakus complaining.
...I mean you have someone who never leaves her room even to see her housemates; and writes Yaoi manga.
...a guy who takes his cross-dressing hobby with him everywhere.
..and many other hyperly exaggerated otaku characters.

I don't have to read the manga to realize that people complaining about it is stupid. They don't have to read it if they don't like it.
...I wouldn't be surprised that one of the people that complained is like someone that is depicted in the manga, to be honest.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:44 am Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
* wtf is this?! I don't disagree with them politically, I disagree with them ethically and morally.

ANN's forums filter replaces a certain acronym ("WJS" spelled backwards) with "person I disagree with politically", since it tends to be used as a slur in heated discussions, like this one.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4