• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Video Game Music Credited as Symphony Orchestra's Savior

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paulo27

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Some classical fans are less enthused at what was regarded as a refined appreciation for music intermingling with entertainment like video games. A regular classical concert attendee and Chicago-based lawyer Roderick Branch told The Wall Street Journal, "From a business-strategy perspective, it completely devalues the brand. [It's] akin to Mouton Rothschild using its wine to make and sell sangria."
Lmao, "we are too superior to be compared to the likes of video games", I'd like to see what you'd have to say about your dead music genre if it wasn't for video games.
nhat

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Times are changing, glad the venue's are trying different things while keeping the classical pieces too.

Change doesn't mean bad, you can still keep the old and do the new stuff with it.
Saffire

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Paulo27 wrote:
Quote:
Some classical fans are less enthused at what was regarded as a refined appreciation for music intermingling with entertainment like video games. A regular classical concert attendee and Chicago-based lawyer Roderick Branch told The Wall Street Journal, "From a business-strategy perspective, it completely devalues the brand. [It's] akin to Mouton Rothschild using its wine to make and sell sangria."
Lmao, "we are too superior to be compared to the likes of video games", I'd like to see what you'd have to say about your dead music genre if it wasn't for video games.
This is every bit as condescending as the person you're criticizing.
ajtpak

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Paulo27 wrote:
Quote:

that really makes me angry. People took time to compose pieces for the game and the orchestra, and then they say that, all because it "devalues the brand from a business standpoint". That's a load of bullshit. A lot of classical video game pieces are really beautiful.

Video game pieces and orchestras are helping classical music come back. But then you have this guy saying that. It's one old grumpy guy though.
Paulo27

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Saffire wrote:
Paulo27 wrote:
Quote:
This is every bit as condescending as the person you're criticizing.
We have a professional saying they strongly believe video games have saved symphony orchestras, I'm not pulling this out my ass, the guy is just an asshole and should be made fun of.
xifeng.hu
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:23 pm Reply with quote
I'm a classical musician and I don't even go to orchestral concerts. I'm more interested in band music than orchestra since orchestral pieces are dominated by strings most of the time and as a clarinetist I personally find that a bit boring. Also I have a bit of a "love-hate" relationship with strings because we get the violin parts in band arrangements and sometimes they are just stupid (ie. you don't have room to breathe for an entire page!).

I do go to band concerts (especially jazz if they have a famous soloist) and marching band festivals though. I just like wind instruments more than strings.

I am also an avid gamer and find the whole "classics>video game music" argument pretty stupid. If it's fun to the listener and fun to play then it's good music no matter where it's from. For the record my all time favorite piece is an orchestral classic: Gustav Holst's "Jupiter" from The Planets suite.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Tchaikovsky or bust!!

I like these orchestras getting to stretch their legs. Is all modern Video Game music worthy of an orchestra? Nah. But has/is some of it starting to be worthy of true musical critique? Yeah!

This should be seen as a chance to get more people into physical musical events that aren't crushingly loud pop/rock concerts. More people attending more types of concerts is more for everyone! Don't fight a good thing, wine-comparison guy.
IanC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:31 pm Reply with quote
I went to the One Piece one this year, as well as a performance of the Zelda one. At both times the orchestra were giving it there all, and obviously were enjoying what they did.

Both times it was a sold out crowd too.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm ecstatic to hear that gaming music is helping people becoming more interested in classical music. Smile I wish I could attend a symphony concert.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Video game music can be just as good as classical music. I love both. Grumpy old man needs to learn to branch out. Just because something is old doesn't mean it's immediately AMAZINGLY SUPERIOR to whatever is newer.

"Humans! Bah! Dinosaurs came first! Therefore, they are superior! ALWAYS!"
mangaka-chan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:27 pm Reply with quote
I had the good fortune of going to a Final Fantasy concert a few years ago where Nobuo Uematsu was conducting, and it was glorious! I'm not a musician or a music aficionado, but I find the music in some of the FF and other games very well composed, and just plain nice to listen to.

As for the "classical music>video game music" debate, it's not uncommon for the traditionalist to scoff at the new comers (for example, people did not think highly of jazz when it became hugely popular in the 1920's). I think video game music as popular music is here to stay, but classical music also has its enduring appeal (after all, it spans some 300+ years, all the way from Vivaldi to Rachmaninoff) and there's no rule saying one cannot enjoy one and not the other.
omiya

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:40 pm Reply with quote
mangaka-chan wrote:
I had the good fortune of going to a Final Fantasy concert a few years ago where Nobuo Uematsu was conducting, and it was glorious! I'm not a musician or a music aficionado, but I find the music in some of the FF and other games very well composed, and just plain nice to listen to.

Also Arnie Roth continues to do a great job arranging FF pieces for orchestra. (About 6000 attended the Final Fantasy Distant Worlds concert in Adelaide in November 2012, including people from interstate).
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:31 am Reply with quote
xifeng.hu wrote:
I'm a classical musician and I don't even go to orchestral concerts. I'm more interested in band music than orchestra since orchestral pieces are dominated by strings most of the time and as a clarinetist I personally find that a bit boring. Also I have a bit of a "love-hate" relationship with strings because we get the violin parts in band arrangements and sometimes they are just stupid (ie. you don't have room to breathe for an entire page!).

I do go to band concerts (especially jazz if they have a famous soloist) and marching band festivals though. I just like wind instruments more than strings.

I am also an avid gamer and find the whole "classics>video game music" argument pretty stupid. If it's fun to the listener and fun to play then it's good music no matter where it's from. For the record my all time favorite piece is an orchestral classic: Gustav Holst's "Jupiter" from The Planets suite.

I'm a wind player, who also definitely prefers winds... But I do still like strings. Maybe not always solo violin (D:), but it is interesting to see someone else who thinks this way!

With that said, I currently only play in orchestra. On bassoon, that's actually a bit of a good thing, because we get actual parts! Lol. I'm hoping to join back into the band next year on the oboe, and I understand what you say as band is kind of home for me. I haven't been in one for a few years, but I just love that purely wind (and percussion) sound. <3

Anyway, in my orchestra, which is a community orchestra, I've noticed that we don't always play a lot of classical music. Our next concert in December, we have four non-classical Christmas pieces, as opposed to two classical pieces.

I understand, it's going to be the Christmas concert, but there is still a point to be made here, as our director always mixes in pop and film works. I actually wish he'd throw in an arrangement of video game music! In general, the members of our orchestra our much older, but that hasn't stopped him from having us play Harry Potter suites on a couple of occasions.

Anyway, this post is a mess. LOL. One last point I want to make as that as a longtime (considering my lifetime that is lol) fan of classical music - performing and listening - when it comes to if we have to play non-classical music, I'd much rather it be video game music than anything else. Would love so much to do Zelda! Or just about anything from that live Super Smash Bros. Melee performance they did years back. Especially Fountain of Dreams.
Karasu-Lacryma

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:57 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if this will also bring about more interest in the West towards symphonic rock and the like?
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:06 am Reply with quote
Something to consider about that guy's statements: Whereas video game music is taken pretty seriously in Japan, in the United States, they are still largely considered in movies and TV as bleeps and bloops. It's easy to see where he's coming from if he thinks these orchestral performances are entirely adapted from those bleeps and bloops.

Still, I don't think there's any devaluing of brands going on. Just a revaluing. Candid Microphone wasn't devalued when it turned into Candid Camera.

mangaka-chan wrote:
As for the "classical music>video game music" debate, it's not uncommon for the traditionalist to scoff at the new comers (for example, people did not think highly of jazz when it became hugely popular in the 1920's). I think video game music as popular music is here to stay, but classical music also has its enduring appeal (after all, it spans some 300+ years, all the way from Vivaldi to Rachmaninoff) and there's no rule saying one cannot enjoy one and not the other.

Don't forget that it pretty much happened every time a new phenomenon in music happened in the 20th century (and the 21st). This kind of scoffing happened aimed at Elvis Presley, then again aimed at The Beatles, then again aimed at Michael Jackson. After that...it's a bit too early to see who's going to have enduring popularity with the haters dying down. Still a lot of hate for Britney Spears and Eminem and the like.

Who knows? Maybe Justin Bieber will be just as fondly remembered in the 2050s as Frank Sinatra was back in his day. If you think that's impossible and an affront to music if it actually happened, you're not too similar to the Sinatra-haters several decades ago.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2