• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: English Release of Xenoblade Chronicles X Removes Bust-Customization Option

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thenix

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:11 pm Reply with quote
I seen a lot of people claiming that the boob slider would only be there for pervy dudes playing the game. Reasoning being because it doesn't let you customize the rest of your character much. But I see 2 things wrong with this line of reasoning.

1. Even with the boob slider gone characters still have boobs. If the boobs are what is sexualized then changing their size doesn't matter, if they still have boobs then the problem isn't fixed.

2. If you have to censor it because it might be used for the wrong reason (keeping people from using it for the right reason) then you can take this logic a long way. You can't control the camera because you might use it to look up skirts. You can't control men's muscle definition because some girls might find it sexual. You can't have any women in the game because guys might find them sexual even if you can't control their sizes. Etc Etc.

This just added to the good points already being made.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Levitz9 wrote:
As much as I like breasts, boob sliders for an RPG are the dumbest of dumb features. [...] I just see people salty over women being treated as people and not sex-dolls in a game.

You haven't actually read the thread then, as there are women posting who are annoyed that they can't customise characters to their liking. Are you actually saying that sex dolls come in all shapes and sizes and people are all the same?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:25 pm Reply with quote
In the future, all characters in Nintendo games will be represented by a dot.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:08 pm Reply with quote
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:
Why is Japanese on Japanese censoring not attacked like this is? I'm just wondering?

It's simple; most people here don't live in Japan so it doesn't affect us. There's no real use to complain about something that doesn't affect us. If Japanese gamers are upset over the removal of guts falling out of a person's stomach was removed in Metal Gear Solid 5, they're free to protest/boycott it. That's their battle, not ours. Though given how Japanese society is, I wonder how many complain at all about that stuff. Extreme violence seems pretty looked down upon in Japan. I wonder how many people protest that kind of violence censoring in Japan compared to we do for sexual stuff.

I wouldn't say Nintendo is going back to their SNES days. They still allow alcohol to be shown, also you have to wonder if they would ever go back to censoring minority characters like they did if it would backfire on them. Back in the day they censored Ayla being bisexual in Chrono Trigger, or Vivian actually being a boy in Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door. I have to wonder if censoring out something like bisexuality or crossdressing would be seen as anti-progressive and actually backfire on Nintendo if they start doing stuff like that again. They probably couldn't get away with that these days, which benefits all gamers in the end. Though they did make a transgendered NPC in Pokemon far more subtle than the original Japanese version.

- Stuart Smith
Actar

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
Pretty much this. Nintendo was likely well-aware of the pervy reasoning behind the inclusion of the boobs-specific slider in an otherwise stripped down character creation mode, and decided against it for the West. Personally, it bugs me when sex gets shoehorned into things just to pander to people's libido, it's a distracting nuisance (so good riddance to Lyn's underboobage armor bikini).

Okay, we have had our differences, but you have to understand that this issue is bigger than your personal opinion on the offensive content. It might be there to "pander to people's libido", but it doesn't affect those who do not care for it in the slightest. The boob slider is there for people who want to mess around with it (females included) and it can be easily ignored if you don't like it. There is absolutely zero reason to take it away from people who want to use the feature.

I am not a gamer, I don't care for the franchise and will probably never play the game, but I will never support censorship. If you are in favor of censorship, it'll be hypocritical of you to complain when something you like gets censored because it will be just as offensive to someone else.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:
Plus, this is Nintendo (USA) we're talking about. Japan doesn't really haven't qualms or care.

NoA and NoE (to a lesser extent than NA) are the only ones that really care about the 'family friendly' image, yeah. NoJ doesn't seem to really care all that much, considering the kind of titles and content they let out.

Oh I forgot about NoE. I always forget about them because I'm here in the US. Surprised But yes, it's about the family friendly image that Nintendo has always put forth. Especially here during "oh those days" of Mortal Kombat. Yes, that was on my mind as well. Smile

Last edited by Chrno2 on Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Meanwhile games like Gears of War where you rip people to bits and chainsaw their necks into a fountain of flesh and gore is okay. But hey, gotta protect kids from the boobs.

They should also censor the word hell into heck
Shit into snap
And kill into destroy
Shirohae

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:23 pm Reply with quote
GOOD! because customizing the size of your girl character's boobs is the stupidest SHET EVER! TOO MANY god damn Horny PERVERTS!!UGH
DKL

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:

You haven't actually read the thread then, as there are women posting who are annoyed that they can't customise characters to their liking.

We're like 4 pages in and people still mostly post without considering this perspective despite being brought up like several times.

Stay free, ANN.
Red Fox of Fire

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:39 pm Reply with quote
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:
Also, it has nothing to do with the gameplay. If it doesn't affect gameplay, it doesn't matter.

Adding to that, all dialogue and story cutscenes should be removed. They don't effect gameplay, so they don't matter. And in the next game, they shouldn't bother with things like color, textures, and animations; only what is necessary for the gameplay should stick around.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:57 pm Reply with quote
DKL wrote:
Shiroi Hane wrote:

You haven't actually read the thread then, as there are women posting who are annoyed that they can't customise characters to their liking.

We're like 4 pages in and people still mostly post without considering this perspective despite being brought up like several times.

Stay free, ANN.

I thought of this as well. But I decided leave it alone as I'm very colorful in my dialogue. But very good point indeed.
Lili-Hime

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:41 pm Reply with quote
@DKL & Shiroi
Thank you for pointing this out it really is frustrating to see our comments just plainly ignored for whatever point someone wants to make >.> This game from what I understand is like an offline MMO; light on story with blank slate main character. Part of the appeal of games like these for me being able to insert myself into the world and fill out the gaps of the characterization by imagining what I would do in a given situation. Not being able to represent myself in a game takes that appeal away.

DuchessBianca wrote:
Hey! I'm as flat as can be and proud of it, not everyone wishes they were bigger and now the default size is too big to recreate myself in avatar form haha

Omg I'm sorry flat is totally ok and wonderful I didn't mean to come across as being negative at all about that :3 This one friend in particular wants to be really tall and have big boobs so she made a character like that; just relating her one individual case that was all! I'm average but I wouldn't care if I was flat either way tbh.

DuchessBianca wrote:
This change is just stupid, games are getting more violent then ever but its always anything that has to do with the human body that needs to be altered or removed and a society that finds the human body more wrong then extreme violence is a society I have to shake my head at.

Totally agree! Human bodies and parts are a normal, healthy part of everyday life. Extreme violence... not so much. Nintendo has published some pretty violent games in spite of its family friendly image but suddenly adjusting boob size is where they draw the line?
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:15 pm Reply with quote
I would hope Nintendo received enough of these complaints so they can reconsider putting back the bust slider in an update at launch similar to how Super Mario Maker got one in order to get more tools sooner without that 9-day grace period.
TrustTheFungus

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Another important detail is Nintendo lied about censoring the game. At the PAX Prime panel it was stated no content would be cut due to censorship. Yet here we are.

Sure, this is a rather small cut, but what about next time? Or better yet, what about LAST time. Fatal Frame, a game about a girl who hates herself because of work as a gravure idol, was edited to remove all scenes of Miu in sexy outfits. Now it has her talking about what a worthless person she is while being photographed fully dressed. She's being awfully hard on herself over doing an Old Navy ad.

And what's with all the people accusing others of being perverts? It's not about what is censored. The act of censorship is disrespectful to the people who developed the game and to gaming as an art form.
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:22 pm Reply with quote
I too would be playing as flat myself, because I'm an evil, evil trans person who hates fun, Removing the slider means that all female characters have to have breasts, which is a hell of a lot more of an unfortunate implication/judgement than just leaving in the damn slider.

And apparently they removed religious references in characters' names? Man, by the time I get around to this game (I'm starting all the way back with Xenogears!) Wii U romhacking better be a thing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9