• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Utawarerumono OVA, Wizard Barristers Get English Dubs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Wow Uta...getting a dub treatment for 3 ova's and a seperate realease? after 9 years too?

This series must really have a large fan base to get this special treatment.

Planning to marathon it soon.
(I have yet to see the first season or the new onw....since i already have a lot of my plate with what is airing and my studies...so i am saving it for the Christmas holidays when i have more free time...after that il catch up with the airing season too.
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:04 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:

Haha I'll take that as an official challenge then Anime smile
Zoneflare

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Utawarerumono OVA will be preordered
AbZeroNow

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Ryu Shoji wrote:
> Sentai Filmworks doesn't dub Shirobako.
> Dubs Wizard Barristers.

...what?

One is a niche look at how anime is made and look at the daily lives of those in the industry
The other is an action series that features magic.

Sentai's decision makes business sense (although I doubt Wizard Barristers got dubbed at Shirobako's expense.) Zac has also said that he wouldn't want a Shirobako dub and I'm sure others may feel the same.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Ryu Shoji wrote:
> Sentai Filmworks doesn't dub Shirobako.
> Dubs Wizard Barristers.

...what?

I guess Wizard Barristers is being dubbed because it has fanservice. And again, I don't get the outrage of Shirobako not getting an English dub. Dubs are made with a bigger market in mind. And although Shirobako is a great anime, it seems too niche to me because I doubt the more casual fans are that interested in a show about some weird people working in the anime industry.

DuchessBianca wrote:
Glad to see Celestial Method is finally getting a release date, it was one of my most anticipated upcoming sentai releases and will be picking it up. I knew it never had a chance to get a dub but it hurts to see it confirmed now =/

I think there was a good chance that it might have been dubbed because Celestial Method is a pretty looking show, and the story is sweet and probably relatable to just about anyone.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:17 pm Reply with quote
DuchessBianca wrote:
I have probably watched hundreds of animes and have yet to hate a single one, heck there hasn't been one that I didn't like

Apocalypse Zero.

Do it.

DO IT. Twisted Evil
AbZeroNow

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:22 pm Reply with quote
sailorsweeper wrote:
Hopefully they fixed episodes 11 and 12 for Wizard Barristers when they released it on Home Video. That is disappointing that Shirobako a better series also a more loved series just a sub only release

I had read somewhere that those episodes were fixed on the BDs but yeah Broadcast of Episode 11 and spoiler[Shimazu's death scene] was pretty terrible.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:32 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Do not buy Wizard Barristers.
Do not watch Wizard Barristers.
Do not think about Wizard Barristers.

Take it from someone who made the mistake of watching it. You have been warned. Also, dubbing it? For what reason? It sold about 500 copies in Japan, do they really think it will sell more in America?

Well, I watched a couple episodes on CR before I forgot about it and it fell to the bottom of my queue--Am I in any danger of contamination? Shocked
Baffling and impossible to follow, yes, but what in particular makes it a biohazard?
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:38 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if the US release include the three "secret" videos on three of the BD's in Japan. Short 5 second clips of scenes in the show, but with added nipples. No idea why those weren't IN the episodes.
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:07 pm Reply with quote
I liked Wizard Barristers quite a bit, I don't know what DmonHiro's problem is with it. The animation is good (assuming the final episodes were fixed), the characters are interesting, it has magic and giant robots, and the story is something we've never really seen before. Plus part of it takes place in America so it certainly has that going for it. I assume they didn't decide to just randomly give the show a dub. Despite Japanese sales it probably had good viewership when it was first streamed in English. I don't know that I would actually buy it, but that's just because I don't make a habit of buying shows I streamed legally. If the dub ends up on the Anime Network I'd probably watch it again.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:40 pm Reply with quote
My problems with it are quite simple:
1. They introduced a whole lot of character that ultimately didn't do anything.
2. Introduced a whole concept (wizard trials), and didn't actually do anything with it.
3. Wildly inconsistent powers.
4. Where the heck did Cecil keep getting those hair ornaments that seal her powers if he didn't know she had powers hidden? OK, this one's minor, it just bugged me.
5. The mecha were cool, but pointless. And why was Cecil's called a diaboloid but everyone elses was called a metalloid?

What I did like a lot? Lucifer. Best Lucifer ever.
spoiler[ This Lucifer just wants to have fun. Has no intention of destroying the world or corrupting humans. Fell in love with Cecil, and just want to be with her. Not even necessarily in a romantic sense, just seems to enjoy being around Cecil. I just wish Lucifer was more relevant to the story.]

Basically, I dislike WiBa simply because it built my hopes and expectations up, and then crushed them.
maoyen

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:51 pm Reply with quote
sailorsweeper wrote:
Hopefully they fixed episodes 11 and 12 for Wizard Barristers when they released it on Home Video.

They fixed the entire show. Warning: spoilers http://sakuga.yshi.org/post?page=1&tags=wizard_barristers. It doesn't look anywhere as horrid as it did on tv.
Thallium

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:18 pm Reply with quote
I share the astonishment of people after reading Wizard Barristers is getting a dub. I am with DmonHiro on the quality of the show and would be somewhat surprised if that dub pays off for Sentai.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:50 pm Reply with quote
I find it a bit unexpected that Wizard Barristers is getting an English version. Well, now that it's coming, I'll try finding a chance to watch it. I may get a thrill out of this peculiar mix of magic and legality. Smile
phia_one

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Not gonna lie, I actually forgot that Wizard Barristers even existed. Probably because I never watched it.

I'm happy to see a CE for Monthly Girls Nozaki-kun. I'll order it as soon as the pre-order goes up.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4