• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Adult Japanese Fans Pick Top Anime That Made Them Cry

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Wow Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 at the top of the list?
Gee I can't remember when an anime made me cry. But then again for me it depends on what it meant to me and why it made me sad. The most I'll do is well up.

I will admit Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 did hit me, especially when the "big reveal" came. I loved this show. I'm also glad it was picked up. I have it sitting on my shelf. I pass it practically everyday when I enter or leave my apt. Really nice character designs. Mari to many reminded them of Balsa from Moribito. Kicka$$ OP, that I had to buy.

Wolf's Children, definitely got to me.

An old friend of mine cried over the last episode of Giant Robo. You know why. Then our roommate decided to spend the next day teasing him about it at work using a laser pointer. And of course her cried over the last episode of Gunbuster.

A few shows that got to me and made me feel very sad, was Iczer-1 (final ep), Moribito (final ep), Gaogaigar (final TV episode), Madlax (when two main characters died).

I've quite a bit about 'Air'. From viewers, and some columns I think ANN has done awhile back. I'll eventually have to check this out when I have the chance.

It's surprising that no adult anime that I know of has many anyone cry. I think the closest to a sad story was YU-NO. But I think they're referring to the game.
Tempest_Wing

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:37 pm Reply with quote
D00dleB0Y wrote:
Why is Up on this list? It's an American animation movie.

Oh please, don't even start.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:37 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised GunBuster didn't make the list. The ending is a total tearjerker.
Ali07

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:43 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Plastic Memories? Has there ever been such paint-by-numbers "you will cry to this!" melodrama?

While I agree, Plastic Memories isn't one I'd have there. But, with the 2nd sentence...I'd apply that to Your Lie in April. I didn't even finish that series, but I felt the "you will cry to this" within the first 3 episodes.

I actually watched all of Plastic Memories, but that one actually had me question spoiler[whether or not we'd see Isla when it was all said and done. Because, with how the robots work, we could've ended up with a "new" Isla]. Like we saw with Andie/Olivia. So, I did feel like there were 3 ways it could've gone (spoiler[the other 2 being how it actually ended, and the happy "Isla is unique and her memories won't disappear" kind of ending]).

In saying that, when Isla writes in her diary, near the end of one of the episodes, spoiler[about dating the person she loves], that's when I started to edge closer to thinking it was going to end the way it did.

I didn't believe that Your Lie would end in any other way...and it ended up going down the path I thought it would. Checked out spoilers when it was over, in case it did something that I may have liked to have seen. It didn't.

There's only been one anime that has almost gotten me to cry, and that was AnoHana. It was Menma's letter to Jinta that hit me.

I've seen Clannad, it didn't do anything for me. Mostly because I was kind of confused as to why things changed as they did. And, I kind of liked the path it showed in its final episodes.

There's also the Ef series. The stories involving Chihiro and Miyako did hit me, but not enough to produce tears. Melodies was the kind of anime that left me feeling a little empty...

Harima wrote:
- Inou-Battle wa Nichijou-kei no Naka de (Episode 7): The notorious scene in that episode when Hatoko loses it because July refuses to answer any of her questions.

That was a great scene. Sadly, it was all for naught. Nothing came of that...
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Tempest_Wing wrote:
D00dleB0Y wrote:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! I'm dying here. And I almost wanted to joke around and put up The Year Without a Santa Claus. Look that scene with the little girl writing to Santa followed by "I'll have a blue Christmas", killed me as a child. I could never watch that show again without trying not to cry. Surprisingly, I've grown up, I'm passed it. Oh gawd why am I lying to myself. Booooo hooo!!

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Okay I'll admit there was only one part of Up I was saddened about and that was the toward the beginning. So did Frozen get on that list?
Blue21

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Tempest_Wing wrote:
D00dleB0Y wrote:

What? It has a perfectly simple explanation. In Japan, everything animated is called anime. The West has just appropriated the term to only mean Japanese animation.
Splitter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:30 pm Reply with quote
I'll echo the sentiments of those who love seeing Air getting some credit for once. Yes, Kanon, Clannad and Angel Beats! take the lions' share of the Jun Maeda adoration (and a lot of that, I suspect, seems to do with them coming post-Haruhi), while Air is often looked upon as a lesser adaptation. What these same people so often forget is that Air is the first COMPETENT Key adaptation that hit all the marks it needed to and made all the right emotional connections. KyoAni were able to remake Kanon from it's hideous Toei counterpart and then go on to fully adapt Clannad because of that early success. Air was a gamble by that stretch and the first successful adaptation of a Key game. There would be no Kanon 2006, Clannad After Story, or any of that without Air.

It's also worth noting that spoiler[unlike Ayu, Nagisa, and Ushio, Misuzu dies and DOESN'T get revived. There is no last minute deus ex machina to change her fate. Her fate is that she must die to break the curse so that every reincarnation of Kanna is not subject to her fate going forward.] It is tragic to the fullest.
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Thank goodness I wasn't the only one dropping a tear or two in Tokyo Magnitude 8.0.
PockyCrusader

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I was surprised that someone here mentioned Key the Metal Idol. That one makes me cry, too, but mostly the "cathartic" kind of crying.

The one that got me from completely out of right field was Disgaea, though. It had been this sort of really goofy comedy and then suddenly, WHAM!

Letter to Momo and Children Who Chase Lost Voices also did me in. Letter to Momo especially.

And then there's Natsume's Book of Friends (everything in that show makes me cry, even the happy stuff).
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Harima wrote:

- Kurau Phantom Memory (Episode 12): The events near the end of the episode at the facility run by Kurau's father.

I love you for this one. I agree on this part especially the whole separation. And of course the end was very painful.

This is what I mean by those moments that have to change but they leaving you saying, "why did this have to happen".

That's one of the reason's why the whole deal when Iczer-1 left Nagisa behind with no recollection of her, I felt very sad about that. It was also the mood of the music and Icze-1's expression was sad but also glad. And like with Moribito after everything the prince and Balsa went through everything had to return to way it was once the mission was over. Even the end of Dennou Coil got to me a bit by last ep, but thing is the plotting dragged getting to the homestretch. I didn't want to reveal too much in case anyone hasn't seen some of the shows. I'm very sensitive to these types of scenarios when characters go through thick and thin only to have to part ways.

Hell, to be honest I'll tear up at just about anything if it hits my soft spot hard enough. Actually, I've been tearing up quite a bit over OS anime productions and the music that follows it. That hot blooded stuff has been really working me over lately. Like the ending of Ringing Bell Chirin or when in Nagareboshi Gin, his father's owner, the grandfather cut off his own leg and shoved it down his dog's throat trying to save his life. My eyes just started welling up. I wonder if I would have felt this way if I saw this years ago. Maybe I'm going through a nostalgic phase. I love it!!

Yeah what the person stated was correct. Japanese refer to all animation as "anime", which we forgot about the true meaning of the word and only use it to identify any production from Japan. I remember reading an article awhile back (I think it was in NTUSA) about Oban Racers. The question that was asked was Oban Racers "anime". He did a great job explaining it and stated in many ways it could be, but just not by what labels it as "anime". If Disney could be considered an "anime" then you'd say the same about "Avatar:TLA". Western "anime", French "anime", Chinese "anime". You get the point. He's talking about the "animation" root of the word. It made sense, as it took me back to what I remembered from the actual definition of what the word "anime" meant. The same could be applied to manga, and hentai or manhwa. I even asked a Korean person that question of what the household word for comic is. But again we pretty much know this. Now we know why Up is on the list.
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:37 pm Reply with quote
I guess this confirms I am the one person that didn't find Gundam 0080 sad. Confused Anime that made me "cry": None. There were two that came close though: Tokyo Godfathers (but in a happy way, nice ending) and Gundam SEED Destiny episode 33. That opening scene was just too well executed for even a stone cold fact guy to remain steadfast. There was also Grave of The Fireflies, but it didn't get to that level, probably because of the kids' immaturity of running away when they didn't have to. This article reminds me I should check out this Clannad series everyone says is sad.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Jakerams wrote:
Finally people who give Air the credit it deserves. I personally found Air to be sadder than any of Key's other series. .

YES YES YES YES YES.

Air would be my number 1.....although Chrono Crusade's ending destroyed me as well. They're tied.
crazieanimefan1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:07 am Reply with quote
WillyD wrote:
This is likely to come out of left field but Listen to Me, Girls. I Am Your Father! had a tear jerkier moment every episode for me. They show as a whole wasn't sad but they would just drop in a moment into every episode that was just crushing. Usually it was the same trick used over and over again but waterworks would flow every time spoiler[Hina asked about where the parents are.][/spoiler]

OH YES! I forgot that! And Usagi Drop too! That will get you every time when spoiler[Rin cries for Grandpa on the first episode]
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:57 am Reply with quote
Anohana got me as did Full Moon Wo Sagashite, specifically spoiler[the scene at Eichi's grave.]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
omiya

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:34 am Reply with quote
For different reasons Hikawa Maru Monogatari sparked an emotional reaction.

I'd visited the real ship in Yokohama a few days earlier, http://www.nyk.com/rekishi/e/exhibitions/hikawa.htm then saw the movie in Yokohama, so there was the strong association of seeing the ship in real life and then in anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7