• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Adult Japanese Fans Pick Top Anime That Made Them Cry

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:35 am Reply with quote
Pokemon: Mewtwo Strikes Back - spoiler[When Ash sacrificed himself and turned into stone. Pikachu is crying over Ash's statue body and all the other Pokemon are crying as well].

One Piece - spoiler[Merry's funeral]. Teared up in both the manga and anime.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:41 am Reply with quote
I cried my heart out during the finale of K-on and as a child it was the finale of the original Yu-Gi-Oh! that had me balling my eyes out. Crying or Very sad
XakonXIV

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:31 am Reply with quote
I'm really not a 'feels' kinda' guy, but one scene that always pops to mind when I hear this question brought up is the ending segment of Cowboy Bebop's 'Speak Like a Child' episode (if you've ever watched it, you'll know what I'm talking about). Whenever I re-watch that episode, I always end up saying to myself: "I'm not going to cry this time, I'm not going to cry this time". And then I get to the ending, and, well, let's just say that watching Faye's expression breaks me everytime. Not entirely sure why that scene has such an effect on me, but there you go.

Aside from that, honourable mentions go to 'Trust and Betrayal', 'Wolf's Rain', 'Trigun' and, albeit to a lesser extent, 'Grave of the Fireflies'.

Last edited by XakonXIV on Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:29 am Reply with quote
Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 was a beautiful and sad series. I would say it's one of the more realistic post-apocalyptic/survival anime that I have seen. I think the saddest part spoiler[was when the little boy died in the last episode.]
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:01 am Reply with quote
Am I the only one who figured out Tokyo Magnitude 8.0's twist when it happened and felt more irritated than anything? The same thing was used in a recent show to much better effect rather than just a "gotcha!" moment for the audience.

Air, yes, Kanon (2006), yes, Clannad After Story, yes, Wolf's Rain, yes, The Flower We saw That Day, no, Angel Beats, only until some "Well all that's over now, isn't it?" logic hit me... even by Maeda standards, that's quite the manipulative show; "But it doesn't make any sense!" Maeda: "Who cares, they're tragic, feel sad!" "But it's all backstory and hypotheticals... there's nothing to relate to like the pain of Air or Kanon's loss of self or Clannad's loss of family or all three's basic death. In short, where's the humanity?" "It's sad so you should feel sad too!"
Grobles87

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:59 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised at some of the choices. Clannad After Story should have been there. I just started writing down recommendations from the thread. Looks like I have some anime to watch and make me cry.

BTW, one anime that brought tears was Saishuu Heiki Kanojo (Saikano). That last episode when spoiler[there is no one else but the main character Shuji in the entire world] just killed me emotionally. I was thinking back to that series more than a week after I finished it.

Added spoiler tags. --willag
captokita

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:52 am Reply with quote
I'm an emotional guy, I admit it. I've lost it several times watching different anime series. My wife is just like me, if not worse. If I cry, I know she's gonna lose it.

Of course Grave of the Fireflies, hooboy, that one.....

As a little kid, I remember crying at the end of season one of Star Blazers, because even as a little kid, I understood what had happened, and something like that never happened on any other cartoon! spoiler[Captain Avatar dies right when the ship gets back to Earth]

Clannad AS was just one thing after another, and I was a mess. We watched it all back to back, and even to this day, that dang dango song can bring on some feels.

Angel Beats!, this one would go from Yay! to Waah! in no time flat. Some really touching stories throughout.

Anohana is probably one that did me in the most. I lost a close friend to a brain tumor when we were around that age. The ending song still can make me cry, and we saw the movie in a theater with about 40 other people. I was crying from the start and didn't care if I looked like a fool, and I doubt there was a dry eye in the house.

This is part of what I like about anime so much, the fact it can illicit such strong emotions out of so many people. It's more than just a "cartoon" - if done well, makes you care about the characters on a more personal level, so when bad things happen, you FEEL for them.
WashuTakahashi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:14 am Reply with quote
Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who didn't find Air to be sad. I cry a lot at anime. I cry at the happy stuff, the sad stuff, things normal people probably don't cry over. But Air didn't make me sad at all. By the end of it I was basically like "Okaayyyy...so what did I just waste my life watching?" Though the OVAs cleared up a lot, still didn't find the series to be sad.

I bawled my eyes out at Wolf Children though. Such a bittersweet feeling. 5 watches later and I still tear up. Your Lie in April got me too, mostly because I marathoned the entire thing in one sitting. Clannad made me cry like a baby and then want to throw my TV out a window in the last 10 minutes -_- Would have been so much sadder without the magic. Hated that cop-out ending. Grave of the Fireflies just makes you feel awful more than wanting to cry (though of course I DID cry), so makes some sense that it's not on the list.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:58 am Reply with quote
There aren't a whole lot that have brought me to tears, but a few would be

Fullmetal Alchemist with spoiler[Hughes's funeral.]

The last few minutes of Angel Beats.

And Blood Blockade Battlefront with spoiler[Nej and Leo losing their friendship because of Nej's memory wiping spores. Fortunately things sort of worked out.]
Corey James Maddux

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:58 pm Reply with quote
I remember the first anime that made me cry. Trigun, honestly. Wolfwood's final scene tore my heart out. Then it was RahXephon. Episode 18 broke nearly all my feels for a long time. So unbelievably sad.

Then of course the ones that were meant to make you feel like crud inside, Angel Beats, Anohana, etc. Writers can be cruel to us fans sometimes lol
Key

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 was a beautiful and sad series. I would say it's one of the more realistic post-apocalyptic/survival anime that I have seen. I think the saddest part spoiler[was when the little boy died in the last episode.]

Actually spoiler[the little boy died in the earthquake in the first episode. He was only revealed to be actually dead in the final episode.]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lord_bellz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:47 pm Reply with quote
I cant Believe angel beats is not on this list, the anime is so sad
WatchforMoons7

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:24 pm Reply with quote
We all have a soft spot for little munchkins in crap situations.

I agree with War in Pocket. I don't think I can watch it again. Confused It's unfair, and then, it's sad because you know you're like Al. You love "fighting", "guns", etc. "War is cool". Seeing it yourself, how both sides have "a sense of military justice" (or rules), especially if both are friends, makes War in Pocket powerful.
endallchaos

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Your Lie in April is #1, in my opinion. Smile
princess passa passa

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:50 pm Reply with quote
KutovoiAnton wrote:
Legend of the Galactic Heroes
spoiler[It was hard enough when Yang died. But episode that came after it just tore my heart into pieces]

^THIS

I'm really surprised that we are on page 5 of comments and no one else has seconded this. I literally bawled my eyes out for this and every time the ED played I would choke up THEN they hit me with the ending of show, that gutted me.

Sometimes, I just shake my head and call out spoiler[Yang Wen Li & Reinhardt-sama was too good die!]

Gone too soon but never forgotten...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7