• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Adult Japanese Fans Pick Top Anime That Made Them Cry

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crisha

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Kadmos1 wrote:
Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 was a beautiful and sad series. I would say it's one of the more realistic post-apocalyptic/survival anime that I have seen. I think the saddest part spoiler[was when the little boy died in the last episode.]

Actually spoiler[the little boy died in the earthquake in the first episode. He was only revealed to be actually dead in the final episode.]

I'm pretty certain spoiler[Yuki was alive up to episode 7, and then died in the hospital after he collapses. Mirai imagines that he recovered, but it's revealed at the end that he didn't. (It leaves it open-ended if she was talking to a ghost or he was a figment of her imagination during those last 3-4 episodes).]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SarigA

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:44 pm Reply with quote
One piece

This one has been mentioned before so I won't elaborate ^^..

And no love for Tengen Toppa gurren lagann?!

spoiler[when kamina dies.. man..The feels..]
gwdone

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Osamu Tezuka's Metropolis did a number on me. Especially leading up to the very effective and emotional 'I Can't Stop Loving You' song. Such a strange insert of music, but it sure added to the pain.

Then there was When They Cry.....oops, just kidding, those were tears of horror Smile
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:07 am Reply with quote
willag wrote:
Key wrote:
Kadmos1 wrote:
Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 was a beautiful and sad series. I would say it's one of the more realistic post-apocalyptic/survival anime that I have seen. I think the saddest part spoiler[was when the little boy died in the last episode.]

Actually spoiler[the little boy died in the earthquake in the first episode. He was only revealed to be actually dead in the final episode.]

I'm pretty certain spoiler[Yuki was alive up to episode 7, and then died in the hospital after he collapses. Mirai imagines that he recovered, but it's revealed at the end that he didn't. (It leaves it open-ended if she was talking to a ghost or he was a figment of her imagination during those last 3-4 episodes).]
yup spoiler[the situation implies he died of a brain injury caused when that one thing collapsed (it's been a while since I watched it so some details are a little vague). those things can be nasty sometimes and seem like no big deal until it's too late, like with him when he collapsed from it. then she was in denial from the trauma of the whole situation most likely, unless you want to drag in a supernatural aspect to it. personally I take denial as the most likely option since she convinces herself they managed to save him as convincingly as she did.]
Ninjajake12

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:58 am Reply with quote
I can't remember the last time I full-out bawled, but there are a few show that make me well up quite a bit. Angel Beats, Clannad After Story, and AnoHana hit me pretty hard.

But two shows have made me cry over and over again. Those shows are: Gintama (during serious arcs) and Eureka Seven (the beautiful soundtrack mixed with the emotional moments really get to me).
krakonkraken

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:32 am Reply with quote
I've watched my fair share of "sad" anime (Angel Beats, Anohana, Wolf Children...), but the only anime so far that actually got me to shed some tears are Tokyo Magnitude 8.0, when spoiler[Yuki was confirmed to be dead (though I'd been suspecting it since the trippy scene after his collapse)], and Eve no Jikan (which I'm surprised to see hasn't been mentioned in this thread), with spoiler[the protagonist's best friend and his robot thing]. I was bawling my eyes out in both cases.

There was also a family-related scene in Kyousougiga that made me cry a bit, but that was probably because I'd just had a fight with my family before watching that episode.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:06 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe "Grave of the Fireflies" is not on that list. Rolling Eyes
Forelune

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:35 pm Reply with quote
crazieanimefan1 wrote:
The first anime thing I cried on was the Pokemon First Movie. Yet in later years, Wolf Children and Clannad After Story had me in tears badly. I even cry at the end of After Story when Ushio runs through the flowers too...guess that would be happy tears though.

No. 6 also had me in tears. I guess I'm a sap. lol

This guy knows, I appreciate someone who has the same experiences as me.
crazieanimefan1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Forelune wrote:
crazieanimefan1 wrote:
The first anime thing I cried on was the Pokemon First Movie. Yet in later years, Wolf Children and Clannad After Story had me in tears badly. I even cry at the end of After Story when Ushio runs through the flowers too...guess that would be happy tears though.

No. 6 also had me in tears. I guess I'm a sap. lol

This guy knows, I appreciate someone who has the same experiences as me.

*giggles* Why thank you. lol It would be this gal actually.
supercalafragilisticjoy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:51 am Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
Jakerams wrote:
Finally people who give Air the credit it deserves. I personally found Air to be sadder than any of Key's other series.

My issue with Air is that is was clear it needed to be 24 episodes to properly adapt the visual novel. A lot of unanswered questions rose up in the second half of the series which I would assume made more sense in the visual novel. Also, the two episode flashback was AWFUL and poorly placed to boot. Like spoiler[you already essentially pushed the protagonist out of the way randomly, but are trying to justify it by making the focus on the main heroine and her aunt.

Okay, I still don't like the random shift but let's do it. Oh, but wait, here's some insanely overly complex supernatural elements that also require us to waste two episodes on characters who were never in the story before and won't be afterwards. WHY?!!! How much more effective would the second half be if it had simply focused on the relationship between Misuzu and her aunt and left all the supernatural elements to the other girls (who were also annoyingly pushed out of the story. At least in Kanon you get some closure on everyone at the end)! People give Angel Beats grief for how it was handled but I think Air fumbled far worse in comparison. It's still a fairly good series but man could it have been FAR better.]

As for the list, I've actually only seen Gundam 0080 and Tekkonkinkreet on it though I do want to see some of the others listed. Gundam 0080 definitely earned its spot, but while I vaguely recall some sad moments in Tekkonkinkreet I definitely don't think it made me think it was among the saddest moments in any anime ever.

I don't imagine you want to give it a go, but I found the movie to be infinitely better than the TV series. It could be because it's what I saw first, but instead of inserting all the extra girls, it focuses on the two main characters and their past backstory - which I thought was beautiful. Granted, the supernatural elements are still there, but I think because it's more concise and not trying to insert every character in, it's explained and just overall done much much better. But again, bias, and it's been quite a few years since I've seen it. But still, the movie is severely overlooked. I'd recommend it.
supercalafragilisticjoy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:01 pm Reply with quote
ParaSitius wrote:

Air? Why? Just why? I struggled to get through just how tediously boring it was and barely managed to finish it. Maybe I'll give it another try in twenty years or so.

Only show to ever really get me tearful is Clannad After Story, episode 18 in particular which got me twice in less then 5 minutes. Right there at the end with the field scene and following train journey home.

Oh my god, yes, that one episode of Clannad. Even now if I ever feel like bawling i just need to watch those two scenes back to back. As soon as that adorable voice starts up and the music starts playing...
For air, I already recommended it in the pervious comment, but try the movie - at least I hope that's what they voted for. I don't it deserves to be in the top, but different cultures and what not

On a side note, I know it's not popular, but I distinctly remember bawling my eyes out in a particular episode of Scrapped Princess along with the end of Digimon Adventures when the "Hey Digimon" song plays (English dub because that's how I rolled during those AOL days)

And, you know, FMA.
Sporkaganza

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:35 am Reply with quote
Can't believe no one has mentioned this already: The ending of the Chimera Ant Arc in Hunter x Hunter, when spoiler[Meruem and Komugi die together]. Holy shit, I'm pretty sure I've never bawled harder at literally anything in my entire life, including actual shit that actually happened to me IRL and not in a work of fiction.
st_owly

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:17 am Reply with quote
6 pages in and no one has mentioned spoiler[Nuriko (and Chichiri) dying] in Fushigi Yuugi?! That was the first anime series which made me cry. My mum came home from work (I got home from school before she got back from work) and found me bawling on the sofa wondering what the hell I'd done to myself....
djrobot

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:02 am Reply with quote
I would've picked Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 as my number 1 as well but I recently watched Anohana and balled at the end. That one really got me. I might have a new number 1.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:33 am Reply with quote
supercalafragilisticjoy wrote:
I don't imagine you want to give it a go, but I found the movie to be infinitely better than the TV series. It could be because it's what I saw first, but instead of inserting all the extra girls, it focuses on the two main characters and their past backstory - which I thought was beautiful.

The movie pretty much removes practically every essence and meaning of Air and turns it into a rather generic romance story. So yes, if generic romances are your cup of tea then it's quite understandable that you would like it infinitely more than the TV series, which was about as far removed from a generic romance as an anime based on a visual novel with erotic content could be. I'm happy that Japan is able to give Air TV the recognition that it deserves, but I remain baffled by just how disliked it is with the English-speaking fandom, even those who like other Key anime adaptations.

Also I really want to see the Shin-chan movie that makes you cry. That's got to be an interesting experience.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7