• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Funimation's Darker Than Black License Expires

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nyren

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:39 am Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:
Nyren wrote:
I don't care who gets it next so long as they release a standard Blu-Ray set of the first season at a reasonable price.

Was $50 not reasonable? Also, you are shit out of luck if things go as previously stated and it ends up in Aniplex's hands. They will give you a price that will make the idea of a making a time machine just to go back in time to purchase the Funimation release more feasible.
I didn't have any money when that Premium set was released. And now it's upwards of $100 when I checked last week. I also read some reviews that didn't really have anything good to say about the quality of said release. Other than that there was just the DVD release, and I only go Blu-Ray these days unless there isn't any other option.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:46 am Reply with quote
CCTakato wrote:
Did Funi also confirm they don't have Air TV anymore?
No, but the show page removal confirms it. Now to hope Sentai rescues it, gets episode 13 back as well (It's only on the ADV singles), and gets Blu-ray rights. Same goes for Kanon (2006) which FUNimation will lose in the near future (Those Sojtiz titles have been going fast). That "Making of Kanon" extra missing from FUNi's release (Only on the ADV singles) being widely available again would be rather nice, especially on Blu-ray.
Percival King wrote:
Wonderful. This cockblock has been brought to you by Aniplex of America. Please look forward to our Blu-ray re-release of Darker Than Black later this year, for the low low price of $350!
More like it won't even come out at all from them. AoA has stated before catalog titles are of no concern to them. With Aniplex licenses dropping like flies lately, I decided to make a list. Note how many are still OOP and AoA has done absolutely nothing.
http://myanimelist.net/blog.php?eid=781052

Given Darker Than Black was a big title for FUNi, it seems rather strange it'd go OOP, they also lost S2. What seems most likely at this point is Aniplex is blocking companies/forcing companies to lose their Aniplex titles. At this point it's possible FUNimation may even lose Fullmetal Alchemist despite how successful that's been (Just like Darker Than Black, albeit not nearly on the same scale).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
louis6578

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:59 am Reply with quote
I own DTB but thank god I do. I just got fired from my job, so I couldn't buy it on the quick after hearing this news. I own both seasons, so at this point, I have to say that I'm satisfied.

PS: It makes total sense that they'd suddenly release the premium version with the promise of only a couple hundred copies existing. They were trying to get as much money as they could out of it before it expired.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:07 am Reply with quote
AnimeLordLuis wrote:
Well that's too bad I hope they can get the license back Darker Than Black is a pretty good show. Confused

Yeah, loved this show. Would be good if they could get it back. Thank goodness I already own this.
Now I'm even more glad I bought it while Funi had it. Both in case AoA puts out one of their insanely priced releases or in case the show basically goes out of print since AoA is nuts like that. A shame it won't be up on Funi's subscriber streaming anymore though just to pop on sometime.

Rinkwolf wrote:
That's weird. For one it's in their Classic line-up and they explicitly stated that the Classic line-up is for show that sold very well. How else can you explain Master Martial Hearts being in the classic line, the show is as far from a "classic' as you can get.

So, I can't shake the feeling that this license drop is do to unusual events. Something like (what was stated already) Aniplex of America getting it now.

Me too. I also find it super weird since it got into their Classics line since it's a great show that did well, so it definitely feels like an Aniplex cockblock since I can't imagine Funi would give this show up and that this hasn't kept selling well for them.
Zoneflare

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:29 am Reply with quote
why does AoA even want to spend money on licenses of older series' if they have no intention of releasing them? Seems like a huge waste of money unless there is a hidden motive that would screw over fans in the long run.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:07 am Reply with quote
I own Season 1 on Blu-ray, but not Season 2. I've heard it sucks (or at least pales in comparison to Season 1), and I'm not sure it's worth suddenly dropping $40 on it, as I'm trying to conserve money right now.

I've noticed that Aniplex of America titles do seem to stay out-of-print once they're gone. I missed my chance on the Baccano Blu-ray, and am wondering when (if?) it will come out again. I don't blame them too much though on their physical releases, since IIRC, on ANNCast, they said Aniplex of Japan could shut them down if they don't do exactly what they want. Also, they seem to be making up for it by making these shows widely available through streaming.
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:17 am Reply with quote
I thought it seemed weird that Nis America would not only not license Working season 3 but they also would allow season 1 to expire when there was obvious interest in the previous seasons as season 3 was airing then.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:11 am Reply with quote
It's a shame that FUNimation isn't more upfront about this stuff and waits for someone to ask before bringing it up. I'm not talking about full transparency, but when Crunchyroll loses a title they let people know in advance so they can watch it before it's gone. Why wouldn't FUNi want to do the same to get the most out of what time remains of their license to get a few more stream views. I can't believe this sort of thing happens suddenly and without warning to them, there must be some sort of exchange between the two companies beforehand, right?

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:22 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
I'm not talking about full transparency, but when Crunchyroll loses a title they let people know in advance so they can watch it before it's gone.

Crunchyroll does sometimes lose titles without it being announced. There was no notice about the later two seasons of Hell Girl being removed, for instance, yet another casualty of expired Aniplex licenses.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:31 am Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:
Emerje wrote:
I'm not talking about full transparency, but when Crunchyroll loses a title they let people know in advance so they can watch it before it's gone.

Crunchyroll does sometimes lose titles without it being announced. There was no notice about the later two seasons of Hell Girl being removed, for instance, yet another casualty of expired Aniplex licenses.
Guin Saga was also removed from CR without warning around the same time, another Aniplex series.
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:33 am Reply with quote
Exactly what is this i am hearing about old Aniplex all having there license expired and revoked? can some one inform me.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:59 am Reply with quote
This may explain the presence of Funimation on a production committee. Harder for Aniplex to pull a title when you can look them in the eye and say "You can't have it either."

Mark Gosdin
Just Passing Through

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:19 am Reply with quote
Aniplex is like the annoying kid in school, the one that no-one likes, but is the only one with a ball, so he has to play, but as soon as the match doesn't go his way, he takes the ball and goes home.
Ali07

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:37 am Reply with quote
Looks like AoA may end up hoarding the Aniplex titles that other companies licensed. Glad I ended up buying Zakuro when I did. If not, that could become a series where it's physical release could become harder to get. I'm happy it's safely on my shelf.

As for DtB, glad that Madman still has copies of both seasons...if I want one. Unsure if it is worth a blind buy though.
addiemon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:21 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
It's a shame that FUNimation isn't more upfront about this stuff and waits for someone to ask before bringing it up.

Emerje

They may be hoping they can still renew it up to the last minute, maybe even after the license expires, given the popularity of the title.

Zoneflare wrote:
why does AoA even want to spend money on licenses of older series' if they have no intention of releasing them?

Don't they get titles directly from Aniplex Japan? They may not be spending money on the license- though I don't know for a fact.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6