• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Should FUNimation Be On NASDAQ?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:16 pm Reply with quote
D00dleB0Y wrote:
Brand wrote:
Question is this "new" streaming service any different than their current streaming service? Or is it just a re-branding?

Same streaming service, just a rebrand. It was done in order to "appeal to a wider audience", acting as if the older model didn't work (it did).

Well, no. It is a new service in partnership with Sony DADC:

http://www.funimation.com/blog/2016/01/07/funimation-entertainment-blasts-into-the-new-year-with-the-launch-of-funimationnow-at-ces-2016-press-release/

http://www.dadcdigital.com/funimationnow-launches-with-sony-dadc-new-media-solutions/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:36 pm Reply with quote
I think Funimation going public would be more detrimental to them than beneficial. They would have to sterilize all of their anime shows to make more "acceptable" to the mainstream and they may be forced to air any new shows they pick up while they're airing in Japan, upsetting both their licensors and their fans in the process. The hefty risk just isn't worth the complicated effort.
Triltaison

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:58 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
the overhaul is coming in May. its apparently huge, and, among other things, will make navigating the site much easier

Another thing I believe they're changing is how the mobile apps function. Unsubscribed users streaming for free by watching ads can see the whole series on their computer, but can only see the first few episodes on mobile apps.

I've heard lots of reports of the current app not functioning properly on Amazon's Kindle family, also. Not sure if that's the same on other devices, but I believe they were trying to fix that problem.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:50 am Reply with quote
I completely agree it's not a good idea for Funimation to become a publicly traded company it would ruin them and there my favorite NA Anime company, It's like making a deal with the devil sure your gain a lot but your lose your soul in the process. Sad
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:17 am Reply with quote
If a North American anime company needs funds, I think it's easier/better for them to just do a Kickstarter than play with fire on the stock market.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:47 am Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:
If a North American anime company needs funds, I think it's easier/better for them to just do a Kickstarter than play with fire on the stock market.

Agreed, since a show supported by Kickstarter donors means that should it fail, the company will suffer little to no loss from it...usually, anyway.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
I think Funimation going public would be more detrimental to them than beneficial. They would have to sterilize all of their anime shows to make more "acceptable" to the mainstream and they may be forced to air any new shows they pick up while they're airing in Japan, upsetting both their licensors and their fans in the process. The hefty risk just isn't worth the complicated effort.

They wouldn't need to "sterilize" their shows. Playboy is a publicly traded company and has been for years. Other adult entertainment companies have been publicly traded, and major entertainment businesses like CBS and Time Warner air shows with full frontal nudity and explicit sex scenes on their premium cable networks.

I do agree that it would probably be detremental to them, as stock analysts nit pick everything companies do these days. Not to mention, poor decisions are often made to boost the company's stock in the short term, while damaging the company's long term health. Funimation right now doesn't have to worry about angry stock holders if they have one unprofitable quarter and the company's stock tanks.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:36 pm Reply with quote
I say NO as well. Best stay in control of your company. FUNi isn't that big nor is it likely to expand so having a board and shareholders watching your every move and then having to appease them instead of your business can be too big a distraction causeing the business to suffer paralysis of movment forward. Not worth the headaches. BTW isn't NASDAQ for mostly tech companies? Does that include entertainment companies as well? I wouldn't think so. Wink
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:18 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Mr. Oshawott wrote:

They wouldn't need to "sterilize" their shows. Playboy is a publicly traded company and has been for years. Other adult entertainment companies have been publicly traded, and major entertainment businesses like CBS and Time Warner air shows with full frontal nudity and explicit sex scenes on their premium cable networks.

I think what Mr. Oshawott is trying to say is that certain aspects of anime and anime fandom are still kind of 'secret' to insiders who support this semi-underground industry. Instead of 'sterilize', perhaps it would be like 're-imagining' by putting on a fresh coat of paint. Imagine trying to impress the casual strangers who come to your home for an open house. By the point of sale, you are firmly committed to impress and sell your home; personal tastes, friends in the neighborhood-- the possibility of profit has replaced these old priorities. It might be a slow burn trying to find the right buyers and exceedingly stressful to pack up and organize your affairs; at a certain point, you start to wonder why you needed to change things in the first place? The house was fine before, right? The family has grown up here, and now we have spent all of this extra money trying to reinvent it. Was it really worth it?

Other than specific financial reasons, I don't see why. As far as we know, everything is in the green for Funimation. But speaking of Playboy, there is no question as to exactly what they are, what their business model entails, and whom they are targeting in their market. Anime and Manga can be a little more ambiguous on that point. Wink
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:41 pm Reply with quote
People have such nightmare scenarios. Tobacco companies are on stock exchanges. They got caught selling a product that they knew killed people. They still sell this product. They just put a sticker on it that says, "hey, you may die." Same goes for pharmaceutical companies. They advertise products where the side effects are, "suicidal thoughts and/or actions" and tell you to please stop taking the medicine if this occurs. They're on the stock exchange.

Universal Pictures released a movie called American Pie that's about high school boys trying to have sex before prom. Most of them accomplish this... onscreen... sometimes with full frontal nudity of what are supposed to be high school girls. And that passed.

But you all seriously think your cartoon gore and boobs is where the line in the sand will be drawn and a company with something like that will be forced to alter their product in order to be exchange worthy?

I'm not saying they should but some of the scenarios are a bit tin foil hat combined with really not knowing much about stock at all and general phobia of successful businesses.

Wandering Samurai wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
I doubt Funimation is that big of a company. Facebook is a big company, but didn't they lose a ton of money when they went public?

They did at first...

They didn't lose money. They made 16 billion on the IPO. Whatever the stock does after that is really in the shareholder's hands. Quite literally. The stock no longer belongs to Facebook. The IPO is them selling the stock. It's now owned by whoever bought it. The stock price dropped... after Facebook sold it and got the money at the original price.
CR85747

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:15 am Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
People have such nightmare scenarios. Tobacco companies are on stock exchanges. They got caught selling a product that they knew killed people. They still sell this product. They just put a sticker on it that says, "hey, you may die." Same goes for pharmaceutical companies. They advertise products where the side effects are, "suicidal thoughts and/or actions" and tell you to please stop taking the medicine if this occurs. They're on the stock exchange.

Universal Pictures released a movie called American Pie that's about high school boys trying to have sex before prom. Most of them accomplish this... onscreen... sometimes with full frontal nudity of what are supposed to be high school girls. And that passed.

But you all seriously think your cartoon gore and boobs is where the line in the sand will be drawn and a company with something like that will be forced to alter their product in order to be exchange worthy?

I'm not saying they should but some of the scenarios are a bit tin foil hat combined with really not knowing much about stock at all and general phobia of successful businesses.

For several years, Funimation was a subsidiary of publicly traded Navarre and no one said anything about Funi's content.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:34 pm Reply with quote
bj_waters wrote:
Seriously, though, it makes sense. I simply assumed that anime/manga companies weren't big enough for NASDAQ to be a concern for them (like there was some kind of size or wealth requirement; shows what I know).

Yeah, that's what I initially thought too. We had to do this group project in middle school regarding stock prices though, and we found all of these little companies everywhere.

It reminds me of how in some Iron Man stories, Stark Enterprises goes public, which would be a bad idea, as it'd not only make it more obvious Tony Stark is Iron Man, it'd show to the world how much money he spends fighting crime. (Then again, maybe it'll show just how much of a toll it takes.) On the other hand, I have never seen a Batman story where Wayne Enterprises goes public.

Zalis116 wrote:
Sure, Funi could go public and buck those trends, but that increases the odds that they'll be taken over by corporate raiders (who tend to make money whether the companies they take over succeed or fail in the long run) saying, "hey, this company isn't as profitable as it could be," and proceed to slash and burn everything in the name of increasing shareholder returns.

If those guys come in, FUNimation might not even do anime anymore. They might switch to an entertainment medium that's more profitable.

GokuMew2 wrote:

Crowdfunding comes with its own risks too. It's not free money from the fans. You have to give back eventually too, and the backers become the people you answer to. Annoy them, and you burn bridges with your fanbase directly.

With all the people Keiji Inafune has angered, for instance, unless Mighty No. 9 and Red Ash sell very well, he'll befacing an uphill battle with his games afterwards due to the bad reputation he's received. Farsight Studios is getting diminishing returns on its Kickstarter campaigns because of a failure to deliver the games they promised to its backers and because people are getting suspicious about why it has to keep turning to crowdfunding (which it does about once per year).
Hektor6766

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:01 pm Reply with quote
AJ (LordNikon) wrote:
Justin's reasons aside, I'd have to say hell no. While NASDAQ is likely a better fit than the S&P or NYSE, just because a company wants to issue an IPO, you have to be accepted by an exchange. Your ability to list or be delisted is at the discretion of the exchange (I had a blue list in my 401K get delisted off the NYSE because they went seven quaters in a loss).

Frankly, I'd rather not risk some American investor activist decide he wants to take a stand against perceived idol or seiyu abuse in the industry and try to reform change on his own.

I'm not against any change in the industry that would be best for those working in the industry, but feel those changes need to be addressed by the Japanese in Japan, not by some feel good lefty in America imposing his moral high grounds on the east.

Sheesh.

It's not about some leftie on a PC vendetta. It's all about ROI. Make it fast, make it cheap, raise the price and lower the margin. Forget about quality, sell to the lowest denominator. And if some Bible-thumping conservatives (not liberals who live and let live) make a fuss about a little ecchi, pull a risk-averse retreat for fear of negative branding. Activists don't have the capital for stock purchases. Mercenaries do.

It's been 40 years since the supply-side con job triggered massive recapitalization. Abe & the LDP are putting editorial pressure on Japan's media, causing kubi kiri. Let's cut the revisionism.
gravediggernalk
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:57 pm Reply with quote
The thought of a larger company (or a Japanese company) buying a piece of an independent American licensor scares me, and brings back memories of how the ADV/Sojitz thing went over (though a lot of that was blow-up from the industry imploding).

I agree with Justin. Going public might be a quick way of making money for a company, but the odds of getting positive input from the new shareholders are very small. Every otaku with a jar of pennies would (try to) buy as many shares as possible to try and "reshape the industry and the world" with their "master plans," and throw a tantrum when they're forced to understand how small their percentage really is. Besides, staying private allows a company to bluff in negotiations if business isn't as hot as it used to be.
MrBonk

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:12 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
bj_waters wrote:
Seriously, though, it makes sense. I simply assumed that anime/manga companies weren't big enough for NASDAQ to be a concern for them (like there was some kind of size or wealth requirement; shows what I know).

Zalis116 wrote:
Sure, Funi could go public and buck those trends, but that increases the odds that they'll be taken over by corporate raiders (who tend to make money whether the companies they take over succeed or fail in the long run) saying, "hey, this company isn't as profitable as it could be," and proceed to slash and burn everything in the name of increasing shareholder returns.

If those guys come in, FUNimation might not even do anime anymore. They might switch to an entertainment medium that's more profitable.

GokuMew2 wrote:

Crowdfunding comes with its own risks too. It's not free money from the fans. You have to give back eventually too, and the backers become the people you answer to. Annoy them, and you burn bridges with your fanbase directly.

With all the people Keiji Inafune has angered, for instance, unless Mighty No. 9 and Red Ash sell very well, he'll befacing an uphill battle with his games afterwards due to the bad reputation he's received. Farsight Studios is getting diminishing returns on its Kickstarter campaigns because of a failure to deliver the games they promised to its backers and because people are getting suspicious about why it has to keep turning to crowdfunding (which it does about once per year).

The problem with crowdfunding and Inafune is that you have a bunch of backseat driver morons running around entitled acting like things have to be done THEIR way, at their SCHEDULE.

And that anything other than any kind of initial estimate is tantamount to the word of Satan against Jesus Christ.

These people know nothing of how development works and doesn't understand launching on 10+ platforms at once and getting each version as bug free as possible and done right out the door and not broken. On a budget of 4 million dollars including the actual game development is not an easy task.
COMBINED with the fact they have to try and navigate the waters of keeping the actual developers still employed with a roof under their head (Red Ash was literally MML and people sent the message straight to Capcom that they made the right decision cancelling MML3. Because of people's own hubris, ignorance and idiocy.) and the idiocy of answering to crowdfunders instead of executive meddling.

It's a totally different way of doing things for them, to take the risk at all, is huge considering they are from Japan. Mistakes are bound to happen, and nothing ever linearly goes exactly as planned to get everything done by the initial estimates. Or by estimates or goals thereafter.

People need to learn to the chill out, cut them some slack. Forgive them for making mistakes, take a step back and get some perspective.

The gameplay and game design is already very polished.
You can download the demo from last September for Windows here
http://s7522.toutbox.fr/File.aspx?e=STPKFPmv15HDb4ySei0SiPZxqfur4VAHGXE5qiBhltAwlQB1FqP3E-yuEag5C1nEo0Q3yRFuQkA9-db3Of31bs7MFaWuwmXmLQK-akG8gmej8io_wfMuCyxurgQbZWet4RfcfB3ugpQ7I6bzKz0Bdos9xsqZt_ukPkvtc-omtEFqFRKPyBUWrmrvxbLBecoB&pv=2

I have put a few hours into it, and have thoroughly enjoyed all of it.

People whine when games are released buggy and unfinished.
People whine when a developer opts to delay a game to try to get it done right. (Again on so many platforms at once).
There is no winning.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3