• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kiznaiver (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:47 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

Strangely I am finding it a little hard to think of what to say in the end. Kiznaiver has been my favourite show of the season, and it feels like there is a lot to say about it. Things got resolved well in a thematic way. We got it pointed out that the reason the Kiznaiver had not ended in the past correctly was that Sonozaki did not want to give up on the connection, she did not want to lose the people, so she had forced to take all their pain. The truth of the matter was against the relying on the system in keeping a connection with other people, when there are healthier ways to do it. Thematically I would say that she was not the only one doing such a thing. Chidori had been kind of trying to keep Katsuhira in a system of dependency, and I would say Yuta's starving himself to keep super thin and the attention of girls was one he put on himself. You could also call it others too where Hanoka was able to open up more, and Nico did quite a bit just asking someone to be her friend.

Lets just say the best character in the show, it was Nico, a character I can describe as being so Trigger, colourful and silly, yet endearing and actually smart. Before finishing the series I also have to mention my other favourite part, the OP song, unfortunately it was not in the last episode so I had to load a previous episode to watch it one more time. Really I cannot really explain what I like about what might be on of my favourite of the year, it does not have much in terms of series representative action, a lot of it almost literally a kaleidoscope of colours and it is just so damn pretty. The kaleidoscope including things like the stilted animation that makes it feel..... something I cannot explain. And "LAY YOUR HANDS ON ME" by BOOM BOOM SATELLITES is a nice song. But also includes shots of the characters that present them each in their own quirky way. I really like these characters, like warts and all they are just endearing, their faults accentuate their character, but they feel like they can grow.

I do think that there was a bit of a slump in places, but I could also feel like the show could get past initial worries that others had, worries that it was jumping ahead too much with like Chidori's confession early on. I agree Nick in the episode review that the Kizna science fiction part was actually the weaker part of the series, but at the same time I can't help but recall some strong moments from the mechanic like when they all feel the pain in Chidori's heart. Actually looking back at the parts I really enjoyed, I think I feel comfortable to rate it a low Excellent (9/10), it might not quite be consistent on it, but I think it is pretty awesome and impactful in a number of places.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4