• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Inside Out, 'Bear Story' Win Animated Oscars

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
Honestly, people were way too hard on BH6 because it wasn't "Frozen." They treat it like a 90-minute toy commercial even though that movie handled the subject of grief and depression better than "Frozen" and HTTYD2.

Really? Thought people were hard on BH6 for pretty much 100% ignoring every single thing that made its Marvel source seem cool or original, and reducing whatever scraps they had left to a rather pointless and generic story that didn't know what to do with itself.
Sort of like if The Avengers had been two hours of just the characters sitting around the table eating shawarma over wisecracks.

Not to mention that the apparent reasons the filmmakers did want to make the movie had already been done by other and better Pixar movies (Up had long since aced the loss/moving-on issues, and the spoiler[betrayal by childhood-heroes who couldn't]), and it felt like the movie was willfully and determinedly trying not to be anything:
What was the point in creating a richly detailed Japanese-pop-culture world, where nobody seems to have heard of anything remotely Japanese-pop-culture related? John, was there some reason we NEEDED the Marvel book in the title, or could you not have done your own huggable-robot movie yourself?

Last edited by EricJ2 on Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Outside of anime are there any 2D movies being made anymore?

Confused Boy & the World was up for an Oscar and justifiable won an Annie. ANN even reported on that! DC alone does at least 3 animated films a year and WB proper constantly does Looney Tunes or Scooby Doo films too. I just named 1 company with about half a dozen "2D" resales a year. Lol. List of animated feature films of 2015: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_animated_feature_films_of_2015 Traditional animation actually isn´t that common the current anime film scene. Sky Scrawlers even had to use (very good) CG animation as IG couldn´t afford the animation cost due to the mega flop of GitS 2. Another problem was the lack of animators who were up for the task. That´s pretty bad you all...
My favorite animated film of the decade is also The Dark Knight Returns, so suck suck it present day anime industry. The budget was about 7 mil. $ for the whole thing and i only prefer Akira to it.

BH6 (8/10) is way better than the unrelated comic and it last had a ton of personality while being one of the most successful films of the decade. The RT score is even @ a 89 % . What more should one expect?

Last edited by residentgrigo on Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:43 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:

My favorite animated film of the decade is also The Dark Knight Returns, so suck suck it present day anime industry. The budget was about 7 mil. $ for the whole thing.

Really? The animated movies made a huge mistake eliminating the narration from the graphic novel. Also, Peter Weller seemed to be phoning it in as Batman/Bruce Wayne. Could've been great, but wasn't, IMO.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:05 pm Reply with quote
@fuuma_monou Kevin Smith had multiple podcasts devoted to the DKR adaptation and The John Carpenter-esque score filled up an 1,5 hour discussion with the composer alone. He got the Arkham Origins (the game is pretty underrated btw.) gig due to the toon! Smigh also moderated a panel with the whole cast and Mr.Robocop especially brought his A+ game.
The comic may be my favorite self-contained comic of all time (only the direct followup Year One is "cannon", Frank Miller what happened to you..) but the narration would have never worked in another medium. A lot of it was also re-purposed in the form of mono/dialogues. Just read a bit of it aloud. The Batman Year One animated film also landed Heisenberg himself as Gordon and Assault on Arkham is one of the best action film of the decade. It´s Assault on Precinct 13 with the Suicide Squad! The New 52 films need work in the writing department though. Batman vs. Robin was the only one with writing that would fly in a comic. Enough DC propaganda but i am so stocked for The Killing Joke.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:03 pm Reply with quote
ParaChomp wrote:
No, How to Train Your Dragon 2 might have lacked the heart and flow of the original but it never felt manipulative and stuck to its guns. This is something that Big Hero 6 failed at constantly.

In what way was it manipulative? And HTTYD2 wasn't? They constantly hammered it in that spoiler[Hiccup's dad was going to die] that they might as well have put a target on his forehead. It doesn't help that the trailers for it basically showed you the whole bleeping movie. Other points against it that BH6 avoided was a one-dimensional villain, the existence of the hero's mother retconning the first movie and creating a heap of plot holes, and a romantic subplot that went freaken nowhere and could have been cut from the final product. Let's just admit it: HTTYD2 was average at best. If you want a satisfying follow-up to the first movie, just watch the TV series.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Panoptican wrote:

So there you have it. It turns out it's not usually Disney/Pixar that wins, but simply Pixar. Disney has only won twice in 16 years. That's nothing outrageous. I understand Disney bought Pixar a while back, but they're still two separate studios.

While they may be seperate per se Pixar is still owned by Disney and the Disney name/logo comes right before the Pixar logo on their movies. So for all intents and purposes when it comes to the awards, and catalog, they are basically the same entity. Pixar winning IS Disney winning.
Chester McCool

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:36 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:

Confused Boy & the World was up for an Oscar and justifiable won an Annie. ANN even reported on that! DC alone does at least 3 animated films a year and WB proper constantly does Looney Tunes or Scooby Doo films too. I just named 1 company with about half a dozen "2D" resales a year. Lol.

We're talking real theatrical movies, not any cash-in direct to video stuff Warner Bros pumps out. Those are made purposely on the cheap to be dumped into Walmart so parents can grab the latest Scooby Doo DTV to shut the kids up for an hour. I didn't see anything on that list it was traditionally animated being put out by America. If Disney can't justify making traditional animation anymore then other companies surely won't.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Last year's Spongebob movie was mostly traditionally animated. Even if all the marketing made it seem purely 3D, that was just for the last act. I guess very few people saw it or just don't remember, but I'm glad we at least that had much in theaters.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Chester McCool wrote:
residentgrigo wrote:

Confused Boy & the World was up for an Oscar and justifiable won an Annie. ANN even reported on that! DC alone does at least 3 animated films a year and WB proper constantly does Looney Tunes or Scooby Doo films too. I just named 1 company with about half a dozen "2D" resales a year. Lol.

We're talking real theatrical movies, not any cash-in direct to video stuff Warner Bros pumps out.

Many anime "movies" might as well be cash-in DTV anyways - they're released in just a few theaters around Tokyo and pretty much composed of a couple of TV episodes put together (and let's not count "recap movies" with a few new scenes added in).
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:03 am Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
ParaChomp wrote:
No, How to Train Your Dragon 2 might have lacked the heart and flow of the original but it never felt manipulative and stuck to its guns. This is something that Big Hero 6 failed at constantly.

In what way was it manipulative? And HTTYD2 wasn't? They constantly hammered it in that spoiler[Hiccup's dad was going to die] that they might as well have put a target on his forehead. It doesn't help that the trailers for it basically showed you the whole bleeping movie. Other points against it that BH6 avoided was a one-dimensional villain, the existence of the hero's mother retconning the first movie and creating a heap of plot holes, and a romantic subplot that went freaken nowhere and could have been cut from the final product. Let's just admit it: HTTYD2 was average at best. If you want a satisfying follow-up to the first movie, just watch the TV series.
I'm not going to argue with you. I can agree with your points but I don't like having new weightless objectives constantly waved in my face.

Onto other news, the Oscars draw in an eight-year low with only 34 million views.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:30 am Reply with quote
ParaChomp wrote:
Onto other news, the Oscars draw in an eight-year low with only 34 million views.

Which brings us back to the header topic, and whether one of the only two mainstream commercial movies that had popular support for Picture HAD competed for Picture would have shot the ratings up another few million viewers.
Spotlight, I might tune in to see win, Revenant or Carol, no freakin' way, Mad Max, cool if possible but highly unlikely, and Inside Out?--I'm glued to the set.

(But nooo, we must follow every holy word that the Golden Globes dictate, and if they say it is forbidden, so must we do the same.... Rolling Eyes )
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:44 am Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
ParaChomp wrote:

Which brings us back to the header topic, and whether one of the only two mainstream commercial movies that had popular support for Picture HAD competed for Picture would have shot the ratings up another few million viewers.
Spotlight, I might tune in to see win, Revenant or Carol, no freakin' way, Mad Max, cool if possible but highly unlikely, and Inside Out?--I'm glued to the set.

Carol, what ya got against yuri?!?! Laughing

UPDATE: The ratings picture for Sunday’s Oscars looked a little brighter in the updated time zone-adjusted fast nationals from Nielsen, with last night’s show down just 4% in adults 18-49 and up in adults 18-34 and all key male demos.

According to these numbers, the “88th Annual Academy Awards” averaged 34.3 million, down 6% from last year’s 36.6 million in the fast nationals, which rose to 37.3 million in the finals. In adults 18-49, Sunday’s 10.4 rating is off 4% from last year’s fast national rating of 10.8, which was revised up to an 11.0 in the finals.

The Chris Rock-hosted show was up from last year by 1% in adults 18-34 (9.4 vs. 9.3) and across all key male demos: +20% in men 18-34 (8.5 vs. 7.1), +6% in men 18-49 (9.4 vs. 8.9) and 1% in men 25-54 (10.3 vs. 10.2).

For the night, ABC nearly tripled its combined CBS-NBC-Fox competition while nearly quadrupling those networks in adults 18-49.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:56 am Reply with quote
I heard about how the ratings were quite high when Chris Rock onstage making jabs at the Academy's racism (or perceived racism), then they sunk when he was done. I suppose the controversy about all-white nominees is a bigger deal than I thought. When the industry is ruled by old white men though, it's a natural consequence.

I also read in the newspaper about how some of these 30-second commercials for the Oscars cost even more than the equivalent in the Super Bowl (US$1.2 million for Super Bowl 50 versis US$2.0 million for Academy Awards 2015-6). That was a gamble that didn't really pay off.

fuuma_monou wrote:
Quote:
There was an animated Rambo?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLop82LjV48

Not a movie, but still, animated Rambo.

That's pretty neat...but not the sort of thing that'd win any Best Animated Feature awards. But it'd be hilarious if it did.

ParaChomp wrote:
In other news, DiCaprio finally did it!

Yep, I'm glad he finally got a Best Actor after so long. He grew up near where I live in one of the lowest-income development projects in L.A., so he's quite the case of a rags-to-riches person.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:57 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Shrek, Wallace & Gromit, Happy Feet, and Rambo are the only non-Disney films to win the award. Monsters Inc and Cars are the only Pixar films to be nominated and NOT win. It is a little ridiculous...

Do you mean to suggest—as shockingly invective as it may be to even mention this—that the academy could be likened to a self-perpetuating echo chamber, left to reverberate for many decades in the bliss of its own congratulation? Heaven forbid the notion.

Not saying it's surprising, but it's still annoying and disappointing nonetheless.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:03 am Reply with quote
Having world renowned actors as Mark "Star Wars" Hamill in leading roles is now a chash-in Shocked ? Every toon film i mentioned also 100% fulfilled the criteria in being a feature and WB regularly hires top animators as personal who worked on Cowboy Bebop or Akira. You know? The small potatoes. Lol. 85-90% of modern TV anime is also technically a low budget chash-in. How many blatant game/manga/LN advertisements do we get a season? We even recently had a show based on a hotel. Maybe. Words fail me but success as Rage of Bahamut come from the strangest places, so why not. I forgot to mention that the academy nailed it in the documentary category with Amy. They actually tend to nail it with docs! Bridge of Spies also deserved it´s Oscar.
The academy isn´t truly racist and they "only" suffered fatal tunnel vision which also violating the original charter. Better luck next year but even the Tagesschau (our CNN) had a race related lead-in on the day of the broadcast. Not a good day for America...
Regarding the ratings. I have never watched a full broadcast and never will (i find them unwatchable) but i always look up the interesting sounding speeches (though the ages) on Youtube. Steven Spielberg tends to give good ones.

Last edited by residentgrigo on Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:50 am; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4