• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Skip Beat! Anime's Indiegogo Campaign Launches

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AwaysAnnoyed

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Well, Skip-Beat! was pretty much the gateway anime for me. Now just to scrape some money together. Hope one month is enough time.

I do have one question though. If you support whatever tier - and it includes the BD, does that mean you've pretty much paid for it in advance? Or if the project succeeds, do you have to pay for it again? So it's like 2x80$ for Part 1 & 2, or something?

Last edited by AwaysAnnoyed on Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:29 pm Reply with quote
publicenemy333 wrote:
I like dubs and have a soft spot for good Shoujo. To anyone who has seen SkipBeat, Is this worth backing?

Yes, it is. Though if you want to try it before you back it, it is streaming on Crunchyroll.
Saffire

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:30 pm Reply with quote
AwaysAnnoyed wrote:
I do have one question though. If you support whatever tier - and it includes the BD, does that mean you've pretty much paid for it in advance? Or if the project succeeds, do you have to pay for it again? So it's like 2x80$ for Part 1 & 2, or something?
Choosing the $80 tier means you will receive the complete show on BD as part of your rewards. It's not an "opportunity to buy" thing.
AwaysAnnoyed

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Saffire wrote:
AwaysAnnoyed wrote:
Choosing the $80 tier means you will receive the complete show on BD as part of your rewards. It's not an "opportunity to buy" thing.

Great. I thought as much. Thanks
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:34 pm Reply with quote
I hope this one does well. In all honesty, I have not seen this show, but I since I love english dubs in general I wish the best for them. I might pledge some cash, but that'll have to depend on... well, 'life' reasons.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
7PhoenixAshes

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:48 pm Reply with quote
publicenemy333 wrote:
I like dubs and have a soft spot for good Shoujo. To anyone who has seen SkipBeat, Is this worth backing?

Unequivocally, "yes." Skip Beat is great, especially if you like strong, motivated female characters.
AwaysAnnoyed

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:55 pm Reply with quote
7PhoenixAshes wrote:
publicenemy333 wrote:

Unequivocally, "yes." Skip Beat is great, especially if you like strong, motivated female characters.

I agree. Really worth anyone's 1, if not 10 or more, dollars.
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:02 pm Reply with quote
AwaysAnnoyed wrote:
7PhoenixAshes wrote:
publicenemy333 wrote:

I agree. Really worth anyone's 1, if not 10 or more, dollars.

Strong female characters are always a great selling point in my book. I'll probably check out a few episodes on CR first
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Me thinks I'll lay down $100 for this.

... Actually more like $150. Damn exchange rate.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:22 pm Reply with quote
publicenemy333 wrote:

I'm gonna say yes only because Kyoko is one of the coolest female lead in a shojo manga I've seen in a long time. But this anime is one of those "if you wanna what happens next, go read the manga" joints.
AwaysAnnoyed

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:48 pm Reply with quote
animechic420 wrote:
publicenemy333 wrote:

I'm gonna say yes only because Kyoko is one of the coolest female lead in a shojo manga I've seen in a long time. But this anime is one of those "if you wanna what happens next, go read the manga" joints.

Right. I love Kyoko's personality. She's so melodramatic, but serious at times and really sweet. And she has her own grudge spirits. I mean come one - Her hate manifests itself. How cool is that?

And the fact that the manga is over 230 chapters and shows no signs of stopping anytime soon doesn't exactly help. I do recommend reading the manga though. There's a reason people keep asking for a more seasons.
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:21 pm Reply with quote
animechic420 wrote:
publicenemy333 wrote:

I see, not really a fan of those. Does it at least end in a good spot that works well enough as an ending like say Kimi ni Todoke or Maid Sama (from what I remember, those had decent enough endings). Or is it a very "yeah, screw it, we're done, go read the manga" like Kare Kano and Princess Jellyfish?
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:22 pm Reply with quote
It's an open ending, but I say it's satisfying enough.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:45 pm Reply with quote
publicenemy333 wrote:
animechic420 wrote:
publicenemy333 wrote:

I see, not really a fan of those. Does it at least end in a good spot that works well enough as an ending like say Kimi ni Todoke or Maid Sama (from what I remember, those had decent enough endings). Or is it a very "yeah, screw it, we're done, go read the manga" like Kare Kano and Princess Jellyfish?

Hmm. That's tough one. I never watched Kimi ni Todoke, Maid Sama, or Princess Jellyfish, so I can't say. And while I did see His and Her Circumstances, I haven't the manga to find out what happen.

I think it ended in a more OHSHC(anime) kinda way.
Crisha

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:10 pm Reply with quote
@publicenemy333 - If you're invested in the main romantic couple (which is pretty obvious to pick out if you're familiar with shoujo romances), then you'll probably be disappointed. It ends at a point where one half of the couple realizes their feelings for the other (and the other half isn't even to that point). The manga moves on from there with more romantic wooing, drama, comedy, and shenanigans going on. It's a slow burn in the manga.

However, if you are invested in seeing Kyoko being a kick ass female lead and discovering her passion and talent for acting, then the anime does a great job at showing that. Obviously, the ending is also open-ended because there's still a lot of growth that goes on in the manga, but it's not like the romance aspect where the anime ends just as the romance is beginning.

Basically the anime covers character introductions and gets you familiar with them and their motivations, with a focus on Kyoko. It sets the stage for her career and throws several challenges her way that demonstrates her innate talent. Watching Kyoko overcome those hurdles is pleasurable enough. But the romance doesn't really start kicking in until after where the anime ends.

----

I'll most likely support this project. Hooray, Skip Beat!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4