• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Highly Questionable Videogame Adaptations

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
I just finished watching Disgaea and I rated it Very Good.
I cannot judge it as an adaptation because I never played the game, but as an anime I considered it to be a lot of fun.

Disgaea goes very off from the game so in terns of being an adaptation, yeah...its questionable. It's one of those its cool because we get to enjoy the main characters in their madness again but its one of those 'oh but its not that story that I loved the in' kinda thing.

It's a quirky joke for the fans really, by pulling some of the game content as well as adding some wierdness. Smile
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
Lady Multi wrote:
Dessa wrote:
Hey, I like Tales of Eternia! If you can't do a full adaptation, it's much better to just do a side story. There's no reason that couldn't have been a random side quest that you "missed" in the game, and the characters totally fit.

It just felt so awkward is all. Anime hyper I wish they would have spent more time and effort and made a full adaption than some awkward sub-quest.

I mean, they fully adapted ToS and TotA minus side-quests and ToS went over really well though it took FOREVER for them to fully release them.

Symphonia was an OAV, so they had more freedom in number and length of episodes (unlike a pre-scheduled TV anime). Also, I quit Symphonia's OAV after 4 episodes, I thought it was crap and barely followed the game's story, while making massive changes along the way.

You must not have read and seen all the sub-quests and all the extra game stuff then (Tales of Fandom 2 for example), because everything they added into the Tales of Symphonia OVAs were mentioned somewhere in the mass Tales games; most of which are mentioned in character events in games and throughout the multitude of sub-events throughout the gameplay. Pretty much...everything in the anime OVA is official cannon information on the characters and story that were edited together to make everything flow better for fans who already knew everything about everyone.

Quote:
You also have a 6-year gap between Eternia and Symphonia's anime, and a 7-year gap for Eternia and Abyss. ... etc etc etc (and all whole lot of dates).

The dates are slightly not really relevant as to popularity; really it was simply how things were done at the time. Manga series were adapted in similar lackluster fashion. Something seems to be really popular, they want something to go with it. They toss an anime production company some information and they produce an anime that they hope does well..
...And then we get something like the Tales of Eternia anime, which resembles an awkward sidequest.

It became as simple as this: companies learned that this strategy didn't really work. It really didn't have much to do with story planning as in whether their market wanted some random BS that just resembled what they love. It was a hit or miss. Some fans will love it; some fans will hate it. But, in the end, was it work it?

Abyss and Symphonia were already popular so they made them into anime that followed their story; it wasn't 'possibly' popular as Eternia and they took a chance with the randomness that didn't deal with the story. Things had changed, and companies had learned.

Though still sometimes they step into the iffy territory such as the Tales of Vesperia movie. Some fans may love it; some fans my hate it. It's not directly relating to the game, thus original, and is strange in a sense, but it became canon the moment they put the twins in the PS3 version of the game.

I mean, I'm pretty sure not all Tales fans buy all the Tales of the World games (and all the other cross-over games) either because its the similar kind of randomness.

...and yeah...I know far too much about Tales series stuff. Very Happy
feuerwerke

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:04 pm Reply with quote
I'm just here for the poll tbh and it's hard for me since yuri is my favorite genre. So my 3 votes went to Utena both movie and anime, and Yurikuma Arashi. Yep, Ikuhara does the best yuri.
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:30 pm Reply with quote
sirom84 wrote:
So many comments and only one mention of Xenosaga?! That anime was not only bad adaptation, it is one of the worst(probably worst) anime I had ever seen. IMHO.

That's something else I try to pretend doesn't exist, lol..

Lol, and did you know that someone ripped every cutscene from the first game and made an "anime" from it? There were just that many cutscenes in that game that there was enough content to rather decently long series. Anime hyper This was YEARS ago; pre-Youtube; pre-Episode II... and I have it them somewhere. 'Course I have the game, too, and the receipt where I bought the game (I'm a hoarder... ;I)
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:04 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Definitely don't think Escha and Logy or Devil May Cry deserve to be on this list. Escha and Logy was good light hearted fun and DMC had plenty of style and Dante's attitude was on point.

If you want to talk absolute trash, Street Fighter Alpha Generations was horrible.

Not exactly. Generations was actually decent. If your talking about the first Alpha movie which I have the VHS version, then absolutely. that was more atrocious. at least generations was decent to watch. also I liked DMC. for one thing a "mercenary for hire" have been his mo from the first game cause he does hunt demons for a fee after all. the only gripe I do have about it was that they didn't use the VA for the game to be used in the English dub version, though the ADV version was pretty decent. especially having miss Luci Christian as Trish which is those days were usually the norm in the ADV era where they usually have her or miss Kira Saint Davis voice the female character with a very badass attitude.

and as for best yuri series. for me at least its a tie with kannazuki no miko (really don't like the crappy English name sentai gave it. should have left well enough alone when they rescued it from Geneon and keot the original name) and Utena. have no opinion on the others since other than those two none of the others don't have an English dub as yet. especially those (Simoun ,Strawberry Panic , Kashimashi - Girl meets Girl) that got licensed by media blasters. Though I am surprised that none of the Queens Blade seasons or OVAs was in the list cause other than cattelya being married, it definitely had some yuri aspect.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:19 am Reply with quote
keichitsu0305 wrote:
You know, the one with the ear worm English OP?

Hey now, Sonic Boom is a catchy opening song. Earworm? I think not. XD

Ziko577 wrote:
Skip the Wild Arms anime. I've seen it and it's really bad. In fact, it's plot is original and has no bearing in any games at all. It does use some but not all of the lore about ARMS only being used by chosen users and some other things. Beyond that, none of the characters even appear in the games.

That's pretty much everything I said in my post. Hope this is enough to tell people who do enjoy the Wild Arms games to skip it. The show was just cobbled together to make a quick buck off of the games' fans. It's flat out terrible.

@ShadowZim777: Again, I recommend watching it for dubbed Jerusha and Isaac only. Everything else about it you can ignore.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:45 am Reply with quote
I don't think I would have put Devil May Cry on the list, myself. It might not have been as cool as the games, but for the most part, it felt like it fit within the series as a whole.

I'd still have to say my favorite game adaptation is Gungrave. The sparse narrative of the first game provided a basic premise, and the anime actually turned it into a good story.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:13 am Reply with quote
Quote:
[Final Fantasy Unlimited] another digipaint product from the early 00s, like Arjuna and Bubblegum Crisis: Tokyo 2040 but it looked bad even in 2001.
Since when was 1998 part of "the early 00s"?

Chalk me up as another who tolerated FFU. Heck, I even managed to rewatch it completely with the sometimes-questionable Monster Island dubbing. In many ways, they made a smart move in creating an original story with FF elements rather than trying to adapt one of the games and disappointing fans upon inevitably leaving out huge chunks of story. Star Ocean EX, also from 2001, can demonstrate how that path turns out. (Sad thing is, they could've left out the last 5 minutes of the last episode, and non-game-players would've been none the wiser about the ending being a cliffhanger!)

But back to FFU... despite its flaws, I felt it had some whimsical and creative worlds that the characters dropped into, a good midpoint climax with "sympathy for the villain's underling" elements, a silly sort of charm with the Magun firing sequences, a stronger third quarter that was actually going places... until about episode 20, when the show got cut from ~50 eps to 25, and things fell apart. The heroic sacrifices at the finale were fairly cool, though. If not for TSW's failure, we could've had an "airship travel" arc and a more epic confrontation with the main villain, or so I assume. And I even did my unwitting yet futile part to prevent the truncation by seeing TSW in the theaters, too Embarassed
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:20 am Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
fuuma_monou wrote:
Does it get better after the first seven or so episodes? I stopped watching the show because I didn't care about any of the characters.

I mean, I like yuri. I like science fiction. But I didn't like Simoun.

The plot starts to pick up around episode 8. Then, at episode 12, Mari Okada starts taking over the show's scripts, and the quality of writing dramatically improves.

That's good to hear. Now if only my Right Stuf order with the Simoun DVD set would finally ship (there's still an out of stock item).
navycherub

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:34 am Reply with quote
I might be in the minority here but I actually had never played an Atelier game before but like the Escha & Logy show so much that I picked up the game in the middle of its run and played it multiple times. In retrospect it isn't a great show by itself but it does make a nice companion piece to the game itself I think.
Nyren

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:55 pm Reply with quote
I actually enjoyed Ragnarok: The Animation. Also loved the game. Not so much the second one though.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:24 pm Reply with quote
I imported the promo DVD for Disgaea and was looking forward to more of the same from the series, but the opening episode was such a disappointment that I never watched any further.

I never did get all the FFU DVDs. All I can really remember is just how annoyingly the sudden shift to bad CG during the "soil" scenes was.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
PockyCrusader

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Oh, man. FF Unlimited. I went through about half of that series before I got bored with the recycled animation and lack of development. I mean, okay, the fish-man in the bass-loaded bathtub was kinda funny....

But I liked the Atelier anime adaptation. I haven't played that game yet (my backlog is pretty bad), but I didn't think that the anime was especially bad.

I will, however, add my vote for the Devil Survivor 2 anime. Maybe they were just trying to cash in on the success of the Persona 4 animation, but they didn't do a very good job with DS2.
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Star Ocean EX, also from 2001, can demonstrate how that path turns out. (Sad thing is, they could've left out the last 5 minutes of the last episode, and non-game-players would've been none the wiser about the ending being a cliffhanger!)

Interesting note: SOEX is not adapted from the game. It's actually adapted from the manga, which adapted the game. I've actually got the manga (read it scanlated, then managed to find the Japanese volumes), and it's almost an exact adaptation from the manga, including changes to side quests and the party set-up (which isn't possible in the game) from the manga.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
Interesting note: SOEX is not adapted from the game. It's actually adapted from the manga, which adapted the game. I've actually got the manga (read it scanlated, then managed to find the Japanese volumes), and it's almost an exact adaptation from the manga, including changes to side quests and the party set-up (which isn't possible in the game) from the manga.

While this is true, it's still a terrible alternate retelling of Star Ocean 2.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8