• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Bleach Manga Takes 1-Week Break Due To Author's Sudden Illness

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theNightster

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:50 pm Reply with quote
danpmss wrote:
theNightster wrote:
Danny123100 wrote:
Is anyone even the slightest bit upset by this news? I mean, Bleach has just been on a decline. I personally haven't seen anybody who's first thought is "Oh yes! A new Bleach chapter has come out." Usually just, "Oh...a new Bleach chapter is out. Well...I made it this far. May as well keep reading." I mean, it's great if people are still super excited for a new Bleach chapter to come out, but the fact a new chapter didn't come out or that it's taking a break really doesn't phase me like it does other series.
someone has not read the current Urahara fight, there's some people who are enjoying it right, even some of people who usually bitch about a manga they read for free on the internet

I personally am finding most of the new fights to be more entertaining than many others we got in the Arrancar arc (and just reminding that the Arrancars were quite more charismatic than the new enemies).

Fights on Bleach are exactly like JoJo, in terms of formula (which I find to be a main influence in the work), and while many can get upset with that, I just roll with it without problems, unless we get a deus ex machina (see first fights for both Chad and Inoue for example). One Piece is VERY formulaic with each arc, even if some of the fights on them are not as predictable as Bleach's, for example, and that doesn't make the series any less great that it is.

Bleach have tons of characters, and most of them always have a "hidden trump" behind their power (and that kind of thing is even foreshadowed during many instances, in especial when the characters are shown training just before), and that's not an asspull (unless we are calling the said hidden tricks bullshit for a very specific reason that doesn't make any sense).

You want real asspulls, see any main fight in Fairy Tail after the first couple of arcs (in special Erza's... That shit on Tartarus arc is one of the best examples you will get).
don't even get me started on Fairy tail, I dropped it when everyone started winning their fights with the power of spoiler[friendship] at least Bleach doesn't sugar coat it's fights like that
Somewhere

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:51 pm Reply with quote
I also loathed that; I was very pleased when Naruto finally ended.
As much of a WSJ fan/proponent I am, there are specific series I really don't like balanced against the ones I really do like.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Saku-dono wrote:
Bleach Manga Takes 1-Week Break Due To Author's Sudden Illness...

...and announces final 3 chapters when he gets back. Oh dear, please end Bleach, Kubo-sensei. Don't destroy the Soul Society Arc's legacy! People will remember Bleach as a tainted-and-dragged-to-the-limit title and will forget that it has one of the best arcs in the shounen category.

Soul Society wasn't that good of arc and incidentally started the series down the path of divisiveness it's been on since Huecdo Mundo.

YamiWheeler wrote:
The anime world needs to move on from mindless, depthless shonen garbage.

And then do what make anime's featuring mindless seinen or light novel garbage?........oh wait.

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
danpmss

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:57 pm Reply with quote
[quote="BadNewsBlues"]
Saku-dono wrote:
Bleach Manga Takes 1-Week Break Due To Author's Sudden Illness...

...and announces final 3 chapters when he gets back. Oh dear, please end Bleach, Kubo-sensei. Don't destroy the Soul Society Arc's legacy! People will remember Bleach as a tainted-and-dragged-to-the-limit title and will forget that it has one of the best arcs in the shounen category.[/quote

Soul Society wasn't that good of arc and incidentally started the series down the path of divisiveness it's been on since Huecdo Mundo.

Nah, Soul Society arc was really neat.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Somewhere wrote:
I loathe that a percentage of my WSJ subscription goes toward Bleach.

This is the only reason I have one. People are different.

Blah blah blah BLEACH is still very exciting blah blah blah. The conversation so far is very enlightening and offers new thoughts on this subject.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:09 pm Reply with quote
danpmss wrote:

Nah, Soul Society arc was really neat.

It was an okay-ish arc but far and away from being one of the best arcs in Shonen manga even in retrospect.
danpmss

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Nonaka Machine Gun B wrote:
Somewhere wrote:
I loathe that a percentage of my WSJ subscription goes toward Bleach.

This is the only reason I have one. People are different.

Blah blah blah BLEACH is still very exciting blah blah blah. The conversation so far is very enlightening and offers new thoughts on this subject.

Have you seen my reply about the plot devices and how the things work structurally? because I'm begging for a reply that is not full of hate nor full of positivity only lol

Bleach is not the best shounen out there, but, pacing problems and some asspulls (there ARE at least 4 or 5 legitimate deus ex machina in the entirety of this series so far) aside, it does have its share of great content and epicness (and of course, nice character interaction and world building), I would give it a 7,6-8/10 any day (potential 8+ if it actually closes the series in a high note).
Danny123100

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:23 pm Reply with quote
theNightster wrote:
Danny123100 wrote:
Is anyone even the slightest bit upset by this news? I mean, Bleach has just been on a decline. I personally haven't seen anybody who's first thought is "Oh yes! A new Bleach chapter has come out." Usually just, "Oh...a new Bleach chapter is out. Well...I made it this far. May as well keep reading." I mean, it's great if people are still super excited for a new Bleach chapter to come out, but the fact a new chapter didn't come out or that it's taking a break really doesn't phase me like it does other series.
someone has not read the current Urahara fight, there's some people who are enjoying it right, even some of people who usually bitch about a manga they read for free on the internet
Actually I have read the Urahara fight, and am caught up. I just really have fallen out of love for Bleach and don't get as excited as I used to. Once the series is finished I plan on rereading it fully again just to really try and take in what's been put out. Right now though, the excitement just isn't there for me. There are some chapters where i'm like "Oh, that's really cool. Next chapter should be good." But I usually forget about Bleach completley a couple minutes after reading it until the next chapter comes out. So re reading it when Bleach is fully finished will be good for me.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:47 pm Reply with quote
The manga is still going? Shocked State side releases or pirate scans? I left after the "final battle" with Aizen.

There is a reason the anime was cut short. Not even the Japanese can pretend to like Bleach, which is a shame because It had potential, especially compared to what's on TV now.

Maybe his lack of popularity has made him a cutter?
danpmss

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
The manga is still going? Shocked State side releases or pirate scans? I left after the "final battle" with Aizen.

There is a reason the anime was cut short. Not even the Japanese can pretend to like Bleach, which is a shame because It had potential, especially compared to what's on TV now.

Maybe his lack of popularity has made him a cutter?

The staff ran short of material for any filler arc that could be introduced before the final arc, and especially during it (since it was also announced to be one of the biggest arcs). The decision was to end the anime in the latest canon arc before it and wait. I'm guessing they waited enough to not come back at all with more Bleach, so, if anyone wants a remake or a revival, they would actually have the need to riot or whatever (the anime industry works just like like that, besides for some exceptions like the NHK and studios like Madhouse (TV Tokyo works on popularity and Studio Pierrot on sales and contracts with the TV stations).

Bleach is an old hit, so it's kinda difficult to return to it once it closes for the first time. The same goes to Reborn, Beelzebub, Keroro, Kochikame (of all things), etc...

Bleach was slightly more popular in rates than Dragon Ball Super right now, when it ended transmission (and still sells quite a lot of manga per year too).

Last edited by danpmss on Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
YamiWheeler

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:24 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
YamiWheeler wrote:

And then do what make anime's featuring mindless seinen or light novel garbage?........oh wait.

Not sure what your point is? There are many, many good, depthful anime/manga besides never-ending shonen trash that becomes mainstream.
danpmss

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:41 pm Reply with quote
YamiWheeler wrote:
BadNewsBlues wrote:
YamiWheeler wrote:

Not sure what your point is? There are many, many good, depthful anime/manga besides never-ending shonen trash that becomes mainstream.

To be fair, there are also many many amazing long running shounen titles out there (One Piece, HiatusxHiatus, Magi, Detective Conan, Gintama, and the list goes on... I have at least other 15 titles in my head). You guys are the ones generalizing in here.
YamiWheeler

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:48 pm Reply with quote
danpmss wrote:
To be fair, there are also many many amazing long running shounen titles out there (One Piece, HiatusxHiatus, Magi, Detective Conan, Gintama, and the list goes on... I have at least other 15 titles in my head). You guys are the ones generalizing in here.

According to you, but whenever any kind of story is continually published without a break over a period of years, of course there's going to be a decline in quality. For Naruto and BLEACH, they just kept going downhill, and I for one believe the nature of the publication was the reason why. I mean, basically 1 chapter weekly, non-stop (except for the occasional weekly break) for over a decade? Of course stories will suffer dramatically under those circumstances.
danpmss

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:03 pm Reply with quote
YamiWheeler wrote:
danpmss wrote:

According to you, but whenever any kind of story is continually published without a break over a period of years, of course there's going to be a decline in quality. For Naruto and BLEACH, they just kept going downhill, and I for one believe the nature of the publication was the reason why. I mean, basically 1 chapter weekly, non-stop (except for the occasional weekly break) for over a decade? Of course stories will suffer dramatically under those circumstances.

Can you say that about Gintama (that only gets better)? Or maybe One Piece, that just keeps getting more and more expansive each time (one can argue about the pacing in Desrossa, but the quality overall is either the same or even better than the previous arcs... Compare Desrossa to Skypea arc for example, since they have an accordance in the storytelling and overall plot progression).Or maybe Detective Conan, that besides getting slightly repetitive over the time, still has what.it takes to make a good investigation case (more elaborated than earlier chapters).

The nature of the publication means nothing. If someone has the ability and creativity to keep going and entertaining people for decades, they have a place in this kind of thing (Hajime no Ippo is a great sport manga with more than 1100 chapters, to not talk about JoJo, another one that gets better each part I read).

Of course, it works differently from other magazines, but it mustn't necessarily get worse progressively, that's bullshit and I just got you examples of the opposite happening.

PS: Newest arc of Bleach is on Soul Society arc level of writing and overall fridge brilliance.
Somewhere

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Let's back up a step. Shounen just refers to the demographic being targeted: Young dudes. The rate of publication varies from magazine to magazine from anywhere between weekly to monthly to seasonal.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5