• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA Streams Sword Art Online the Movie: Ordinal Scale's English Trailer

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Lord Dcast wrote:
Back for another season of Bored art Online. While I'm not extremely anti like someone like Digibro or TAM, I do find this series average at best. I actually liked the first series, and didn't mind Alfhiem. GGO though killed it for me, and the filler afterwords was beating dead horse.

Still, maybe this won't be too bad?

GGO and Mother's Rosario are pretty much the high points. If those 'killed it' for you, you probably won't like anything else.

jdnation wrote:
A recent volume of Accel World had a SAO crossover. It seems established that they are in separate realities.

There was another crossover a while back, but no it is pretty established that they are in the same timeline.

angelmcazares wrote:
Isn't this movie taking forever to come out? By the time it comes out it could be 3 years after season 2. I am not sure if enough fan enthusiasm will still be there.

I don't think time since season 2 is relevant. The LNs are selling amazingly well. A 2017 release won't be an issue for the fanbase.
Lord Dcast

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:21 pm Reply with quote
R315r4z0r wrote:
Lord Dcast wrote:
GGO though killed it for me, and the filler afterwords was beating dead horse.

That wasn't filler. They were adaptations of the light novel like everything else before it.

Granted they were smaller, less interesting stories... they weren't filler.

Filler doesn't have to deviate from the manga. It was manga filler that was adapted into anime filler. Filler just means it doesn't progress the plot.
GrayArchon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:41 pm Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
Key wrote:
There has been no filler in the series so far. Everything that's been animated in the TV series is straight from the original novels.

The "Suguha learns to swim" arc wasn't in any novel as far as I'm aware. To be fair though, that was an OVA-type clip show.

Other than that, yes, there was no filler.

Kawahara did have a fair degree of input in writing that. To the extent that he apparently has a writing credit on it, and the DVD edition of it comes with a short story he wrote of them continuing the quest they were on at the end of Extra Edition.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:16 pm Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:

A recent volume of Accel World had a SAO crossover. It seems established that they are in separate realities.

Unless it's a new crossover, you're probably thinking of Versus, it's not recent at all.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Lord Dcast wrote:
Filler doesn't have to deviate from the manga. It was manga filler that was adapted into anime filler. Filler just means it doesn't progress the plot.

You're wrong either way. How did GGO progress the plot? It wasn't through a new game world that is thrown away afterwards. It was through character growth. Mother's Rosario does that as well.
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Interesting. I wonder if the dub cast will all reprise their parts? I quite enjoyed the dub on SAO, especially Bryce, Cherami, and Cassandra's performances; all three were fantastic.
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:14 pm Reply with quote
TurnerJ wrote:
Interesting. I wonder if the dub cast will all reprise their parts? I quite enjoyed the dub on SAO, especially Bryce, Cherami, and Cassandra's performances; all three were fantastic.

Definitely hope they will too! Loved the dub cast. Only sad thing is since the premiere is in 2017 it'll be 2018 at the earliest until it gets dubbed Anime cry Curse you Japanese reverse importation fears!
Crystalyn
ANN Managing Editor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:18 pm Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:
Blocked in Japan. Boo!

Quote:
The Japanese website also streamed a trailer for the film, but it is region-locked to Japan.

We linked to the Japanese version of the video in the article (I also live in Japan so that was the only one I could watch), so you can always watch that one.
natchu96

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:08 am Reply with quote
Most fans actually liked Mother's Rosario, I was pretty sure.

Something from Phantom Bullet they managed to inconspicuously leave hanging becomes relevant again later, plus actual character development. If anything Fairy Dance has the least impact on the plot out of the lot of them.

Actually, since they were side stories, the entire first floor episode and any hint of Asuna ever having been a badass in the Aincrad arc other than in name only, as well as the Sachi, Silica, Lisbeth, and Yui's episodes would technically be more filler than Caliber and Mother's Rosario could ever be.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:40 pm Reply with quote
natchu96 wrote:
Most fans actually liked Mother's Rosario, I was pretty sure.

Best single novel in the series imo.

natchu96 wrote:
If anything Fairy Dance has the least impact on the plot out of the lot of them.

Hmm I'm not sure. Kirito meeting digital Kayaba is pretty important to both other VRMMOs and the path Kirito decides to take in life (he intentionally wants to develop one technology because he feels Kayaba would have favored the alternative). Also it introduced ALO and some characters.

natchu96 wrote:
Actually, since they were side stories, the entire first floor episode and any hint of Asuna ever having been a badass in the Aincrad arc other than in name only, as well as the Sachi, Silica, Lisbeth, and Yui's episodes would technically be more filler than Caliber and Mother's Rosario could ever be.

Caliber is a side story as well. That said only Caliber is a direct follow up to something from the main story line novels (not counting Rosario obviously since that isn't a side story but a full novel). None of those other parts are hinted at whatsoever in the main storyline novel of the SAO arc.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:22 am Reply with quote
This falls under "teaser" category". A teaser is <1 min. long, lacks plotline details since it serves to get people interested in the upcoming movie, and is made before post-production or during fdlming. A trailer is 1-3 minutes long, gives a basic plot idea (like which studio made it or some of the crew), and is made after the filming/editing is finished.*

*Paraphrasing the"Difference between Teaser and Trailer" article on differencebetween.info,
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2