• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fate/Extra Game Gets TV Anime in 2017

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:34 pm Reply with quote
theNightster wrote:
it baffles me as to why they chose Fate/extra over hollow ataraxia(which is the actual sequel to Fate/stay night)

Heaven's Feel has to come out before then to complete Stay Night. It isn't necessary to do so to release Extra.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:25 pm Reply with quote
@Valhern

My favorite HF ending was spoiler[actually when you kill Sakura and the game ends with Kirei telling you that you are guaranteed to win because you are now identical to Kiri. The good end or whatever I felt was a gigantic cop out. I mean making Shiro a new body to miraculously get rid of that entire issue of him having to slowly kill himself by using Archer's power was just bs. The other final ending I thought was really sad even though I absolutely hate Sakura.]

But yeah I'm sure they will go with the true ending.

Does anyone know if Extra has "true" choices? I mean they don't dead end you like a VN, but there is one choice in particular that I wonder which is suppose to be the true one.
Valhern

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:51 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
@Valhern

My favorite HF ending was spoiler[actually when you kill Sakura and the game ends with Kirei telling you that you are guaranteed to win because you are now identical to Kiri. The good end or whatever I felt was a gigantic cop out. I mean making Shiro a new body to miraculously get rid of that entire issue of him having to slowly kill himself by using Archer's power was just bs. The other final ending I thought was really sad even though I absolutely hate Sakura.]

But yeah I'm sure they will go with the true ending.

Does anyone know if Extra has "true" choices? I mean they don't dead end you like a VN, but there is one choice in particular that I wonder which is suppose to be the true one.

spoiler[That's a good one too, it'd be cool to know what Archer thought of that, it seems as if he hoped for Shirou to let Sakura live, since when the shadow appears he does get in that "I'll save everyone" mode. I love Sakura, but I too felt that the true ending is such an easy way out, kinda like cheating, it only needed for Saber to also be brought back from the dead.]

I hope they do like in UBW and animate at least ten or fifteen minutes of Cherry Blossoms with the BD release of the third movie.
SrkSano

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:13 am Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
@Valhern

Not sure but I don't believe the game has true choices or a true ending. It makes the concept of the anime interesting.
spoiler[
In my play through I had to make a choice to save one girl or another, and Tohsaka Rin died since I chose to save the other girl. I don't think that's going to happen in the anime at least ha ha!]
Rensie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:01 am Reply with quote
For now i'm more interested in the movie trilogy, but i will surely watch this one too (even if they are milking a bit too much into the franchise). Very Happy
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:27 am Reply with quote
SRKSANO wrote:
Not sure but I don't believe the game has true choices or a true ending. It makes the concept of the anime interesting.
spoiler[
In my play through I had to make a choice to save one girl or another, and Tohsaka Rin died since I chose to save the other girl. I don't think that's going to happen in the anime at least ha ha!]

What heresy is this!? spoiler[You saved the other girl instead? I could see if you somehow managed to slog through the game a second time to see what happens, but to not save Rin on the first play through...]

I also don't think that will happen. I'm guessing spoiler[either the MC will save Rin or it will cheat so they can both survive.]

Rensie wrote:
For now i'm more interested in the movie trilogy, but i will surely watch this one too (even if they are milking a bit too much into the franchise). Very Happy

Did they actually announce somewhere that HF will be a trilogy? First I've heard of that.
theNightster

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:36 am Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:

Rensie wrote:

Did they actually announce somewhere that HF will be a trilogy? First I've heard of that.

it was literally announced the same exact day as this news
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-03-27/fate-stay-night-heaven-feel-film-project-is-trilogy-starting-in-2017/.100348
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:24 am Reply with quote
theNightster wrote:
it baffles me as to why they chose Fate/extra over hollow ataraxia(which is the actual sequel to Fate/stay night)

If they were going to animate hollow ataraxia it'd have to be done after Heaven's Feel is finished.
Player_91

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:37 am Reply with quote
Gilarack wrote:
Player_91 wrote:
Gilarack wrote:
It's weird. I get the impression from the Fate community that whenever an adaptation turns out to be flawed it's always the the studios fault or the directors or that of the adaptive screenwriters but never Nasu himself! He always seems to get a free pass. Maybe... just maaaybe the original VN is not as perfect as everyone always says?

And before you ask, yes I have read it. Not all of it, but a lot. And from what I have read it has the same problems as the UBW Anime: repeating information over and OVER again and some of the worst pacing I had ever experienced in a VN and in that genre that's saying something. Sometimes I wonder how anyone managed to read all of this without going insane!

Yes the franchise has some great ideas and concepts but apart from Zero I am still waiting for a version that fully realizes them in a way that doesn't disappoint me. Maybe the Heavens Feel Movies, maybe this new show. I remain hopeful.

Sigh... I probably shouldn't have written all that stuff. It will probably anger a lot of people. Anime smile + sweatdrop I'm sorry if I annoyed you with my "secondary" drivel. Laughing

This is funny because F/Z had the same " pacing problem" you complained so much about

And yeah the VN has some pacing problems I won't deny, especially with HF and Fate, UBW is fine there though. In any case Fate gets hectic by day 9 and HF has the best twists and moments in the entire game so these offset the pacing problems

I disagree so much with that statement. Fate/Zero had a lot of dialogue yes, but the characters never repeated themselves. In fact the show had so many fully realized characters that it is a mystery to me how they managed to put all of it into 25 episodes.

UBW's second have has 3 episodes in a row where Shirou and Archer are standing around while preaching their respective ideologies to each other and occasionally fight again and again and again.
It is almost comical how often you hear Shirou talk about the reason why he is fighting.

In Zero every fight did not last longer than an episode (except the one at the river but there everyone actually worked together and was trying to figure out how to beat a giant tentacle monster Anime smile )
and with every conflict (no matter if physical or vocal) we learned something new about each character. Kiritsugu for example: you had to watch the entire show to fully understand where his motivation was coming from. It was revealed little by little and therefore more interesting.

Everything there is to learn about Shirou in UBW we find out in the second episode and from there on it's just repetition. And I get that his character is kind of about the fact that he does not change but you don't need 26 episodes to make that clear. And UBW mostly focussed on Shirou. If they would have developed the other characters as much as they did in Zero 26 episodes might have been justified. Illya get's one episode where they rush her story, the relation between Rin and Sakura is only hinted at but never explored, Saber completely gets the shaft, Rin turns from a confident woman into an insecure girl with no backbone for no reason in the second half and so on.

And don't tell me that we learn about that stuff in another route of the VN. The Anime should be able to stand on it's own and not confuse everyone who didn't make a summa cum laude in Type Moon. At least with Zero I got a story that felt complete to me.

I really hope that you are right and that Heavens Feel will be the revelation I am hoping for. I don't hate this franchise. I am only so very frustrated with it.

I believe you're kind of seeing F/Z with rose tinted glasses, the first season didn't had a good pacing, the first episode was almost one entire hour of pure unaltered exposition, first fight between Saber and Lancer was slow and boring, F/Z only adjusts it's pacing by it's second half

UBW also has problems of pacing, mainly in "the Answer" scene, not because of Shirou's development and resolve but because of Archer because he keeps repeating his feelings and thoughts to ad nauseam, that's in character for Archer to be doing but it definitely can bore the viewer. Regardless outside of that problem, UBW was a nice series

Reminder that UBW is only 1/3 of the story and you'll only get the complete picture of the story by finishing everything and yeah, once you finish everything you'll most likely have a different opinion about the routes in F/SN because you'll understand the characters more

Gilarack wrote:

The 2006 Fate was bad (I have seen it). UBW was bad too. So what you are telling me is that when Heavens Feel comes out those first two shows will suddenly be great? I have a hard time believing that.

the 2006 anime wasn't a proper adaptation and is lacking on many things, but it works to show Saber's main development to the viewer. UBW also did it's job and yeah you'll probably like have a different view or appreciation about them once you finish HF and get the full picture

Gilarack wrote:

This franchise is exprecting from me to watch or read the same story (with some changes) three times. That sounds like very inefficient storytelling to me.

It's not the same story, what would be the point of separating things into different paths if it is the same story?
SrkSano

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:05 am Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
SRKSANO wrote:
spoiler[

What heresy is this!? spoiler[You saved the other girl instead? I could see if you somehow managed to slog through the game a second time to see what happens, but to not save Rin on the first play through...]

I also don't think that will happen. I'm guessing spoiler[either the MC will save Rin or it will cheat so they can both survive.]

spoiler[The death of the silver haired girl was too sad, so I went back to my old save file and played that part again. Rin's death wasn't as sad. From there I finished the game. Saber fan myself and not really a Rin fan so.... RIP Tsundere. Razz]
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:08 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Nero] Saber fan or Arthur Saber fan or both? I like both a lot, but I think I might actually like the former more. I find it amusing that you spoiler[saved the other girl] and yet you also don't seem to be able to remember her name off hand. Then again, now that I think about it, while I can remember what a lot of the masters look like, I can't name any of the new ones.
SrkSano

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Both Sabers. Yeah, I couldn't remember her name ha ha! I liked the character while I was playing the game though. I just remember Rin's name because she's in every Fate product I've come across. I don't dislike her in the UBW route at least, but overall prefer Saber to Rin and Sakura.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6